PDA

View Full Version : Lilliputs needs some help

2birds
05-11-2014, 12:03 PM
Ok guys, Lilliputs needs some help here. When I got her she had some missing feathers on her leg. Now there are larger feathers on the bottom of her cage every morning. I can't really see where they came from off of her body. She is always playing with the feathers on her body and she like to grab her tail feathers with her feet and pull them under her. The feathers that I find look picked on. I don't know if it's a medical cause or not, I had to cancel the vet appt. last week because my job went haywire. She will be going this next week. Until then does anyone have suggestions on what worked for their birds to stop this? She is a little high strung not horrible though. I would love her anyway but I really don't want a naked baby. She doesn't know how miserable she would be.

She has a few toys she might need more. She is out of her cage most of the day. She's been eating roudybush pellets, vegies, fruit and a little seed. Not sunflower though.

2birds
05-11-2014, 12:27 PM
This is the weirdest thing. As I'm watching her Lilliputs is tearing chunks of wood off of one of her toys and tucking them under her wing and then playing with her feathers. Also she is vibrating her wings. I wonder if it's a hormonal thing.

Pinkbirdy
05-11-2014, 02:20 PM
It does sound hormonal.

2birds
05-11-2014, 05:26 PM
It does sound hormonal.
Do you think so? It kind of seems like it. I'm going to have to get busy and do the research while I'm waiting for the vet visit

Debra
05-11-2014, 05:41 PM
Sounds hormonal to me. Some birds will pluck their leg and belly feathers so they can incubate the eggs better.

Mare
05-11-2014, 08:06 PM
My Sassy Goffin's does the same thing, Lori. Sassy is a plucker and she also barbers her feathers, at certain times throughout the year, she is VERY high strung. She will take seed, shredded paper, chunks of wood, fallen feathers, anything she can pick up she will try and poke them into her wing feathers, bizarre indeed! She will also do the quiver thing, mostly at my husband when he gets near her cage. This makes me think it's a hormonal act.

Turquoise
05-13-2014, 02:03 PM
Some birds do put shredded paper and other objects under their wings and and other feathers to take to a nest so to speak. Meaning it is a natural instinct to do this in the wild. Not all birds do and not all of the same species do. And the quivering thing is usually a mating hormonal thing with them. So I think your Lilliputs is wanting to mate, maybe with your hubby. LOL

2birds
05-13-2014, 04:12 PM
I'm suspecting that it's hormonal. Now I have to hope that she doesn't rip all of her feathers out. I'll see what the vet says about it. Also I think I'll find out if she really is a girl or a boy. She is constantly preening though. I hardly ever see Clover preening and he looks perfect. She is taking more of an interest in tearing her toys apart and she does seem a little more relaxed than when she first came so those are good things.

Cedardave
05-13-2014, 06:51 PM
We are breeders...although not cockatoo.I would lean towards a hormonal thing.If you feed your birds any eggs for a treat stop that right away.Until it passes you may have to put up with this behavior.Give her lots of distractions.I dont think a vet can do much to make her less hormonal....then again maybe.Keep us advised.

2birds
05-13-2014, 08:31 PM
It's funny that you said that about the eggs. I haven't given them egg for a week or two now and I was just thinking that maybe they would like some. I guess I will ax that idea

Cedardave
05-13-2014, 08:49 PM
Eggs wil often act as a stimulant to get them into breeding season.I would hold off for the near future if I were you.

2birds
05-13-2014, 09:13 PM
Thanks for the advice Dave

Mare
05-14-2014, 12:00 AM
I didn't know that about eggs, either, thanks, Dave!

Grey
05-14-2014, 12:33 AM
you may also want to withhold soft foods and adjust her light cycle

Cedardave
05-14-2014, 03:00 AM
Really theres a whole list of things.I think the key is to do as little to disrupt the regular routine as possable.Yes eggs can start or stimulate hormones...the amount of light ,the protein of her diet,the type of food.Your vet may have a shot to reduse her hormone level....Ive never actually looked into that.I would first stop with the eggs.Wait and see.The hormones will be there for a while...hopefully it wont get as far as her laying eggs....another bridge to cross if you get their.You really dont want to upset to much of her regular routine.If she is hormonal she doesnt need the added stress of change which can of course cause plucking ...and so the circle becomes complete,but you dont know anymore wether your dealing with hormones or enviromental change.

Minamommy
05-14-2014, 04:10 PM
My AV just ordered my U2 avix relive I believe it's called. It's made with raspberry leaves. She said this will calm down hormonal problems. I think the safe bird store carries it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2birds
05-15-2014, 12:32 AM
Well, Lilliputs went to the vet today and she thinks that it's hormonal as well but tests are being done for a lot of things. I was very surprised at how thorough they were. Vet said that she looked to be in pretty good health though in spite of the feather picking. Thanks for the suggestion Kim, I'll have to look into that. It seems that it wouldn't be a bad thing to have around. Dave, I'm sure she was upset enough with her move. I think her life was a little unsettled for a couple of weeks before I even got her and then the big move. It's been pretty regular since she's been here. We're getting along pretty good. She's a little sweetheart and likes most people.

Turquoise
05-15-2014, 01:41 AM
Glad to hear Lilliputs doesn't have any serious things wrong so far. Hopefully they can help get her on track again.

Minamommy
11-23-2014, 08:14 PM
Lori I was wondering how you were making out with Lilliputs? Mina my 2 year old U2 is getting very hormonal right now. In the winter? I have been using her UV light on her daily for about 2 hours. It's PA no sun here lol. I just got some teas by 4 beaks from MSBS. Was wondering if anyone else tried them. I got one for reproductive health and anti stress to calm them. She loves the tea. So we will see if it calms her. If it works and the other stuff didn't help Lilliputs you might want to try this. Share a cupa with your bird [emoji2]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

spiritbird
11-23-2014, 11:29 PM
You may want to invest in a real feather duster. You can cut the feathers and make her a preening toy. It helps with the stress of hormones.