PDA

View Full Version : Cockatiel with Arthritis

Katrina
05-10-2014, 01:07 PM
Hi, I have a male Lutino Cockatiel called Norman. He's an old fella now, approximately 13 - 14 years and has been my loveable pet since I was a child. Around 3 months ago I noticed that he was falling off his perch an awful lot, even up to 20 times a day on bad days. I put it down to his old age at first, but it's heart breaking to watch as it takes him a minute or two to right himself once he's fallen into the bottom of his cage. As a result of all the falling over, his feathers have become very shabby indeed.
He's always been quite a grumpy boy and not really enjoyed physical affection, only on his terms, and this has never really bothered me as we've come to a mutual understanding - he enjoys sitting on my shoulder and hiding under my hair, but under no circumstances am I to touch him, only when he says so.
Lately however, he's become very cuddly indeed, which is certainly not like him. He loves a cuddle now, and falls asleep in my hands almost straight away. Again, I've put this down to his old age.
Last week, after one of our cuddles, I noticed the grip in his right foot was almost non existent. He can move it, but his grip is so weak it's virtually useless, as whenever he goes to step onto my finger, he almost always falls right off. This explains his constant falling off his perch. Even when he's on flat ground he loses his balance and topples over.
Today, I've noticed that his right foot is quite red and is swollen compared to the left foot. After researching online, I'm pretty sure that he has arthritis.
Now normally I would not hesitate in taking Norman to the vet, but unfortunately I have recently been made redundant and so money is very tight.
So I was wondering if anyone can offer me any advice? Is there anything I can do at home to help him before I go to the vet? I've noticed someone on the internet suggest adding vinegar to his water to balance his pH levels. Is this recommended?
Any advice would be much appreciated as Norman is my childhood pal, and I hate to see him suffer.
Many thanks, Katrina.

Grey
05-10-2014, 02:46 PM
Hello Katrina:
At 13-14, he could potentially have another 7-10 years of life left in him with proper care. I would hesitate to try to diagnose, as that is best left to a qualified Vet. Since money is tight, there are a few things you can do to make him more comfortable.

1.You may try getting some flat shelves for him instead of perches so he doesn't have to grip and he can't fall and hurt himself
2. A heated perch may be beneficial if it is arthritis, Lord knows I love heat when mine flares up!
3. re-check the budget and see if you can squeeze out a vet visit by reallocating funds.
4. Contact the Vet's office and see if they can work with you
5. Try setting up a crowd funding for him
6. Contact local rescues and see if they can provide assistance

Best of luck, and upload some pics of the old curmudgeon. We love pics!

Honesty
05-10-2014, 03:46 PM
:hello: Katrina and welcome to PP.

George has given you some great advice and yes, we would love to see some pics :)

Mare
05-10-2014, 07:42 PM
Oh my Gosh! Welcome, Katrina, first of all, I'm so sorry little Norman is having such issues :(. George has some great advice,, if a vet visit is at all possible..it might help save the little buddy.

Anne & Gang
05-10-2014, 09:10 PM
I would suggest putting in some platform perches...you can order them on line or yu can even make them yourself from plywood..he would like them rather than having to perch...also I think a vet visit is i n order

spiritbird
05-10-2014, 09:50 PM
Your bird could have gout also. Blood testing should tell you this. In the meantime you could get an aloe vera plant and see if he would eat some of the gen in the leaves. Good for inflammation.

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Also please consider supplementing for pain with glucosamine and the use of a padded heated perch.