PDA

View Full Version : Is Luca male or female?

spiritbird
04-24-2014, 10:45 PM
As Luca matures she is showing signs of a he. Guess I will get a DNA done. The first photo is Luca from yesterday and the second photo is a cinnamon male from the internet. What do you think.21092110

Grey
04-24-2014, 11:52 PM
Luca is a Lucas

Turquoise
04-25-2014, 07:26 AM
Luca is a Lucas

LOL, George! That's what I'm thinking too Dianne. Luca's orange patch and coloring is definitely showing to be male instead of female with the bright coloring. Whether a Luca or a Lucas, you have a beauty there!! :)

Honesty
04-25-2014, 08:06 AM
Looks like you will have to start calling him Lucas then Dianne :th_biggrin:

spiritbird
04-25-2014, 12:54 PM
I think I will schedule a DNA testing with my vet just to be sure. I would like to know if eggs will be laid up the road. She was identified as a normal gray split to pied because of the feet being pink with dark nails. Identification of species is not easy in the tiel world. Thanks for your thoughts on gender. If male I still think I will call him Luca or Luke.

Honesty
04-25-2014, 01:44 PM
Why don't you do the DNA through Avian Biotec? You do this by sending in 3 chest feathers. It is much cheaper than having it done at the vet!

spiritbird
04-26-2014, 11:11 AM
I inquired about this and they need a pulled feather and I really do not want to hurt her, even for a second.

Honesty
04-26-2014, 08:13 PM
Dianne, I can promise you with all sincerity, it does not hurt them at all when you pull a feather. I had Codie DNA tested by pulling 3 chest feathers. It actually took me a whole week to pluck up the courage to do this as I was so worried it was going to hurt him :( In the end, I took the bull by the horns! I put him on my hand and raised him up so his chest was level with my eyes. I then gave him a toy and while he was occupied, I quickly pulled the first one. I am not joking, Dianne, he did not even flinch :) I then quickly pulled the other 2. All Codie did was carry on playing with his toy. I was so happy that it had not hurt him.

Believe me, Codie is not a bird that takes things laying down. If this had hurt him in any way at all, I would have known about it as I would have had a chunk of flesh taken from my arm :th_hehe:. Give it a go Dianne!

spiritbird
04-27-2014, 11:24 AM
Thanks for your encouragement Wendy.

Honesty
04-27-2014, 12:03 PM
You're welcome Dianne :)

Debra
04-27-2014, 12:35 PM
I know I'm late to the party, but I agree with everyone else. Luca is a Luke. I also agree with Wendy in that it won't really hurt to pull three feathers. It's a lot like pulling out a hair on your head. Just a minor pain that lasts only a second or so.