PDA

View Full Version : A new goffins

2birds
04-24-2014, 01:34 PM
So, as I have gotten into birds, my friends have been hearing about it here and there. Now when they hear about parrots my name comes to their mind. One of my good friends heard through another friend of a little bird in need. The people were moving and not wanting to take the little guy or girl with them. I guess they tried to sell it but no takers so he/she was going to the animal shelter. :( That's where I came into the picture. LOL. So, now there is a new addition. I don't know his/her name so maybe it will come out eventually. She looks feminine to me so for now I will call her Lilliputs. Vet check next week but she seems to be in reasonable condition. (a little picking on her legs though) I haven't heard her make any other noise except for screams. She screamed a few times in the night. She lets me touch her but not be picked up and she does this strange thing with her feet on my hand that I don't know what it means. She will grab my finger and let it go over and over. Kind of like toe tapping but it only happens when she has my finger. Hmmm, I don't know. Anyway pics will be coming soon.

kendrafitz
04-24-2014, 01:46 PM
How awesome Lori!! Congrats on your new addition. It is so good of you to take Lilliputs. What a lucky little bird!! :)

Honesty
04-24-2014, 02:19 PM
Congrats :) This is very good of you to take her in. I like the name "Liliputs" Look forward to seeing pics.

2birds
04-24-2014, 02:23 PM
My friend not knowing she should have found out the birds name or if it is a boy or a girl didn't tell her friend to ask. I'm hoping that she can get a hold of the other owners. They are supposed to be moving this weekend. I guess the RBtoo or GWmac will be put on hold for a little bit.

Honesty
04-24-2014, 02:28 PM
Hopefully, you are able to find out.

Debra
04-24-2014, 06:42 PM
Good for you taking this little one in. I can't wait to see pics of him/her. Are you going to have the vet do a DNA test on her?

Mare
04-24-2014, 08:15 PM
Congrats on your new addition, I love the name you chose (in case you never find out her original, it's a good one :). Our Sassy does that grab and let go thing but not only with our fingers, her FAVORITE is toes! She seems to do this when she is feeling a bit amorous :th_wink:

Pinkbirdy
04-25-2014, 12:57 AM
Is her eyes pitch black [or do you see brown ?)

2birds
04-25-2014, 01:26 AM
Mare, You know what? I was wondering if it was a mating thing. Terri,, the eyes seem to be dark, I thought on the Goffins both sexes had the same eye color.

Pinkbirdy
04-25-2014, 01:35 AM
If its black , black most likely a boy . A hint of brown a girl

Mare
04-25-2014, 01:53 AM
In U2s they say black is male, red brown is female but then I read that it's NOT always that way!! What the hey! Sassy's eyes will be super dark in different lights and change to a lighter hue in a different moment! What the hey?..
Now Amigo, who I know is a male cockatoo, has NEVER had anything but black eyes.

2birds
04-25-2014, 03:13 AM
In my reading about Goffins in particular I keep seeing that there is no difference. Really, the only difference that I see between Lilliputs an Kilo is that the skin around her eyes is shorter and more white than blue where Kilo has more skin and is pale blue. I couldn't tell you if that means anything or not. Also this bird is a little bit daintier than Kilo. It probably would be a good thing to know so maybe I'll have her dna tested. At least she seems to like me LOL Kilo still doesn't really want to have anything to do with me and gets overjoyed when anyone else comes to pay him a visit.

Mare
04-25-2014, 03:45 AM
How could you have one tested without the other?! Ugh.. I know how expensive vets can be :(. The fact that he/she likes you is such a bonus! I can't even tell you!!

Girl and boy mix may be a factor in having these birds. I don't know? What I do know is, when they like YOU, you are #1.

Maddy
04-25-2014, 04:21 AM
Congrats on your new addition! I can't wait to see pictures! (:

Turquoise
04-25-2014, 05:45 AM
Congrats to you and Lilliputs! She sounds super adorable and what a wonderful feeling to know she loves you already. :)

I've been told a time or two that I shouldn't have gotten a female macaw since I already have two male macaws in my home. I know there is always that chance I made a mistake and will wished I had heeded the warning. None are mature yet, I just know I don't want them to become a bonded pair in the future as I don't want babies~~ever! I am willing to deal with it as needed and I think it is possible to have mix gender of the same species. Of course, ask me how I feel about this again in a few years down the road. If I still have my sanity by then. LOL

Mare
04-25-2014, 06:49 AM
Wow, De'Andrea, I've never thought about folks having such huge and many birds that may someday want to become sexually active! Wow! Are you scared? I don't know how I would feel? I know that so many breeders are out here but when you have personal pets that occupy your life and heart,,how does THIS work?

Turquoise
04-25-2014, 07:11 AM
Mare, that's something I will have to find out the hard way...eventually. In other words, I have no idea for now how it works or if it does. I do know I have seen photos and read of other folks who have mix gender same species that are not bonded pairs and all is amicable among the flock. I am willing to do what ever is necessary such as provide different areas of the house for the boys to keep their distance from my 'Innocent' girl!! I'm thinking once hormones hit, it won't matter what gender is around, they will all be a bunch of 'Grizzley Bears' and I will just have to wait for 'winter hibernation' to set in and be able to live with them once again. :)

2birds
04-25-2014, 09:54 AM
Maybe I will have them both tested. I just didn't think about it with Kilo, I was told he was male, and it really didn't matter at the time. I was looking on websites for dna testing from feathers and it sounds pretty simple and not that expensive. Really cool thing that I learned was that you can have a chick tested from the fresh egg shell that they leave behind.

2birds
04-25-2014, 02:04 PM
Well, both Kilo and Lilliputs have pretty near pitch black eyes. I've read in several articles that doesn't count in the goffins. Now I am searching the web for female goffins with brown eyes. We will see. It would be nice to have three boys being as I have lived in a household of predominately girls except for my dog Joe. Regarless of it's gender it really seems to be in the mood for love so I'm trying very hard for it to not get attached to me in that way. Only pets on the head.

Grey
04-25-2014, 02:16 PM
It doesn't have to be a male/female couple for bonding and a sexual relationship to develop. Lucifer, my male Black Headed Caique who has been formulating a plan to kill me for the last 6-7 months, is in a Brokeback Mountain relationship with Crush the male Sun Conure. It is a mutually reciprocating love affair and it distresses them to be separated. So as long as it doesn't involve bloodshed on my part, Que Sera Sera! Add to that that parrots don't necessarily use sex solely for reproduction and you can have a free love society in no time

Mare
04-25-2014, 02:31 PM
Yeah,, so true, George! Especially when you consider how they will also choose a human as a mate, there are no bounds!

2birds
04-25-2014, 03:08 PM
So parrots have no boundaries when it comes to love. LOL Kind of like dolphins.

George, probably why Lucifer seduces Crush is because, well, he's Lucifer. LOL

Grey
04-25-2014, 04:16 PM
More likely because Zoe won't give him the time of day, that little tease!