PDA

View Full Version : I Bought A baby budgie today and its tail looks funny to me,is this normal (Picture)

Haris
04-24-2014, 07:22 AM
Its still eating from the bottom the cage and its tail looks funny , I don't know weather its grow tail bone (If know if thats even possible ) or walked over some water and food and then dried up on the end , its stool looks fine.
Picture Below Of Tail

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Honesty
04-24-2014, 07:48 AM
Hello Haris and welcome to PP :)

Congrats on your new Budgie. His tail looks okay, like you have said, it could be from where he has dipped it in water or food and it has dried like this.

Do you have a picture of him? He looks a very unusual colouring for a budgie :)

Turquoise
04-24-2014, 08:12 AM
Welcome to the flock & forum Haris. Congrats on your new Budgie and we would love to see photos of all your birds.

Your Budgie tail looks quite normal. Just a few stress bars, a bit ratty from wear & tear and a little food & stuff stuck to it. Don't worry about the tip of the tail where the feather is separated from the rest of the feather. It may very well break off from natural use and will not harm it in the least.

Give him/her a spritzing with a light spray bottle a few times and it will get most of the stuck on stuff off. Budgies will often bathe in their water bowls as well, I usually spray mine with a misting bottle. And some love to bathe on fresh greens that are wetted down. That is the natural way they bathe in the wild after a rain on leaves where the water droplets are concentrated.

Haris
04-24-2014, 08:14 AM
Hey, Thank you for the reply below is a picture of him . I know I only got him today and he might be scared but he doesn't seem to be eating any tip on how i can encourage him to eat. The owner/Breeder said that that he still eats from the bottom of the cage and that I should sprinkle his seed on the bottom .

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Turquoise
04-24-2014, 09:07 AM
Oh how adorable!! And a very pretty color indeed. He looks to be very young, was he a hand fed baby just weaned recently? If so, he may regress a little and still need a little soft foods for comfort since he is a little stressed from the move to your home. Warm oatmeal made with water and thinned down with finely ground apple added for flavor, can be good as comfort foods. But if he was not a hand fed baby, he probably won't accept anything like that from a spoon.

Sprinkling the seed mix on the bottom like your breeder said is an excellent suggestion. When they are babies they don't know there is a full bowl of seed hanging on the cage and can easily starve. I have 10 budgies together in a large flight cage and I never use the hanging kind of seed bowls. I have a low sided ceramic bowl on the bottom I keep filled. The ceramic makes it weighted enough it won't tip over when they stand on the edge. The parakeet is a ground feeder in nature and I find the food is not wasted as much, with so many eating at once. The hulls don't fly about as much with it on the bottom.

Good luck with your baby and keep us updated on his progress. I would also suggest keeping in contact with the breeder if your budgie is not eating by tomorrow. Small birds like budgies can starve in a hurry if they don't eat for some reason.

Honesty
04-24-2014, 09:23 AM
He is adorable :)

I agree with De'Andrea in keeping in touch with the breeder. Keep your eye on him and make sure he is eating the seed you sprinkle at the bottom of his cage.

Look forward to seeing lots more pics of him and the rest of your flock!

kendrafitz
04-24-2014, 11:00 AM
Hi Haris and welcome!

Your baby is adorable!! I don't know anything about budgies, so I can't be of much help. You have gotten some great advice already. :)

The one thing I will add is about his tail. I remember the staff at the store I got Rosie saying babies are generally very hard on their tails. So it may be very common for their tails to become messy and "ratty" as they said. Your baby's tail doesn't look "ratty", but since you are worried I figured I would pass that on.

Congrats on your new baby boy!!

Grey
04-24-2014, 01:58 PM
He looks a very unusual colouring for a budgie :)

He is a gorgeous youngster. The reason he seems so unusually colored is that he is a "normal" coloration. Don't see many of those any more. Take good care of your little friend and he will be a source of entertainment and companionship for many years to come.

Debra
04-24-2014, 07:03 PM
Hello Haris and welcome to PP. What a beautiful budgie you have there. How old is he? Judging from the bars on his head I'd say quite young. He may very well be regressing a bit. De'Andrea (Turquoise) gave you a great idea to help him along. I, too, wouldn't worry about the tail. It looks like a normal baby budgie tail to me.

JudiNH
04-24-2014, 08:40 PM
He's a cutie pie! Congrats! Millet sprays are usually a great "baby food". I always keep one in the cage when I have a new birdie settling in. :)

Mare
04-24-2014, 09:04 PM
Hi, Haris, and a big WELCOME to you and your flock! I can't add anything here, looks like some good stuffs already been said! :) Do you have names picked out for your birds?

Haris
04-25-2014, 07:06 AM
Thank you for the replies. He is quite young when I bought him (2 days ago ) ,the breeder said that the mother just stopped feeding him and his just started eating on his. I took the breeders advice and sprinkled seeds at the bottom of the cage and he started eating. I tried giving him oat meal but he would not eat it. He sat down earlier today and his tail was dunked into the water bowl and when he left the funny looking things fell off. He now looks happy and healthy . :)

Turquoise
04-25-2014, 07:22 AM
Glad to hear your baby is eating on his own now. If he was reared by his parents then he won't accept oatmeal or any food from your hand until he gets used to you. A hand fed baby would recognize it as coming from his human parent and would accept it if regressing a little from the stress of coming to a new home.

Budgies usually adjust quite fast to new environments, so he should do great from here on in. The suggestion from Judi of offering millet in the cage is an excellent one. I haven't had a budgie yet who didn't love Millet! :)

Haris
04-27-2014, 10:45 AM
Hey, Everything is fine now , but i noticed his been sitting in his food dish recently. Is this normal ?

Honesty
04-27-2014, 11:11 AM
Yes, this is normal. My 2 budgies often sit in their food bowl :)