PDA

View Full Version : Dakota Nakira'Too's Photo

Turquoise
04-24-2014, 06:15 AM
OK everyone, I finally have my first photos of Dakota Nakira'Too my Rose Breasted Cockatoo. I must say I was expecting a more babyish photo with much less feathering. But he is already 5 weeks old, so I missed out on getting to see him as a Widdle Fabie. None the less getting to see photos of him make me feel like I actually do have a real Too & not just one in my mind. And I told that exact thing to the breeder Michael when he sent these to me yesterday. He is adorable in all his pink & grey suit!! Looks like he is going to be a handful as well. LOL

Michael has been promising to send me a photo for over 2 weeks now and as much as it is out of character for me, I remained patient and didn't pester him for photos. A lady I met on his FB page for his aviary has been keeping up with whether either of us had gotten the promised photos of our Fabies. She has one that is 9 days younger than Dakota. She got tired of waiting and called Michael Easter Sunday and wanted a photo. He got her one she said in like 5 mins, she shared it with me on my FB page. I decided not to bother him on a holiday, besides I had to work that night and didn't have time to devote to chasing down an elusive photo. Anyway, I don't expect to get anymore photos til Dakota is ready to come home later in the summer. :)

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Honesty
04-24-2014, 07:54 AM
A[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] he is just adorable :th_heart: It is such a shame that the breeder has not sent you weekly photos of him. I am sure you would have loved to see how he has progressed through the weeks! Never mind though, we can see just how absolutely beautiful he is and it won't be long now until you have your Dakota Nakira home with you :th_hug8:

Turquoise
04-24-2014, 08:49 AM
Thank you Wendy!! Dakota looks like he will have a bit of an attitude! LOL I am thinking this breeder does not have the time to spend on his babies with one on one handling. So I feel I will have my work cut out for me and will have to hand tame this boy for the most part.

I am not 'Faint Of Heart' as I have "walked through the valleys of the shadow of evil" (~~in a sweet way~~The Macaw Kingdom~~) And am prepared to~~Love the Dickens out of this cutie!! :)

Honesty
04-24-2014, 09:25 AM
:th_hehe: Dakota looks like he is going to have the same sort of attitude that Codie has :) You will love him De'Andrea. RB2's are just so comical and have fantastic personalities!

Turquoise
04-24-2014, 09:48 AM
I've always read great things about RB2s. And you & Terri speak so highly of them that ya'll sold me on getting one. :) Soooo, if this one turns out to be the demon of all demon RB2s I may have to send him to each of his "Birdie God Mothers" (Wendy & Terri) for vacations! LOL

kendrafitz
04-24-2014, 10:50 AM
He is adorable!!! I love the looking over his shoulder pose.

I'm sorry that the breeder took so long to send pics. That stinks! Hopefully he does spend some time giving the babies love. Either way, I know he will get tons of loving from you once he gets home!!

I can't wait to read all about him once he makes his way to you!! You must be super excited!!!

Pinkbirdy
04-24-2014, 11:11 AM
Ha ha [hes cute :)] .I do recall saying their devils when their babies :)

Blancaej
04-24-2014, 06:36 PM
He is gorgeous De'! So excited for you! :D

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

Debra
04-24-2014, 07:09 PM
Oh, he's absolutely beautiful! I can't wait for you to get him so we can all get to know him and his antics.

Mare
04-24-2014, 08:02 PM
He's perfect! From what I know of my Goffin's and U2, the raised head feathers aren't a sign of aggression or attitude as much as curiosity and wonder, as in, wonder what's going to happen next?!

Reading these birds, is everything, they speak to you with their body. Whoa,,if you misinterpret..you are in trouble! :)

Turquoise
04-25-2014, 06:47 AM
He's perfect! From what I know of my Goffin's and U2, the raised head feathers aren't a sign of aggression or attitude as much as curiosity and wonder, as in, wonder what's going to happen next?!

Reading these birds, is everything, they speak to you with their body. Whoa,,if you misinterpret..you are in trouble! :)

LOL, Mare actually I was referring to that little gleam in his eye I detect and the expression he has as if to say, "Who the Hell are you to be invading my privacy with that flashing bright light thingy in my face!"

I definitely will have to learn the body language of the Cockatoo since I have no experience with them at all. :)

Turquoise
04-25-2014, 06:52 AM
He is adorable!!! I love the looking over his shoulder pose.

I'm sorry that the breeder took so long to send pics. That stinks! Hopefully he does spend some time giving the babies love. Either way, I know he will get tons of loving from you once he gets home!!

I can't wait to read all about him once he makes his way to you!! You must be super excited!!!

Thanks Kendra, I love the one with him looking over his shoulder the best too. :) I am very super excited, it will be a totally different experience for sure!

Turquoise
04-25-2014, 06:55 AM
Ha ha [hes cute :)] .I do recall saying their devils when their babies :)

Now I'm worried Terri! Surely Dakota won't be worse than a macaw on speed?! LOL

Turquoise
04-25-2014, 06:57 AM
He is gorgeous De'! So excited for you! :D

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

Thanks Blanca! I'm not normally excited to see summer get here coming from Texas, but this year I can't wait!! LOL

Turquoise
04-25-2014, 07:02 AM
Oh, he's absolutely beautiful! I can't wait for you to get him so we can all get to know him and his antics.

Thanks Debra!! It will be fun finding out just how much different Dakota is from the rest of my flock. I know Sierra my Pionus is way different and she is super funny. And temper, wow she can get mad in a hurry! They aren't lying when you read they tend to have some of the personality traits of an Amazon. :)

Honesty
04-25-2014, 07:24 AM
Now I'm worried Terri! Surely Dakota won't be worse than a macaw on speed?! LOLHaha, they are like lightening in their speed De'Andrea. I swear they can run as fast as roadrunner and they can chomp their way through a piece of wood quicker than a woodpecker :th_hehe:

Mare
04-25-2014, 07:30 AM
De'Andrea, you will find that their eyes don't pin! Yay! That's something that's always freaked me out! Pinning eyes! :th_eek: I'm sure you will be freaked out about that oddity also! NON-pinning eyes!! Can't wait to meet your newest addition!

Turquoise
04-25-2014, 07:34 AM
Haha, they are like lightening in their speed De'Andrea. I swear they can run as fast as roadrunner and they can chomp their way through a piece of wood quicker than a woodpecker :th_hehe:

Oh My! Dakota WILL be like a macaw on Speed then!! LOL

I better get my roller blades out & see if I can still manage to stay upright in them. Sounds like I'm gonna' need something to keep up with him. :) Now the wood chomping I am used to. He can be in competition with those macaw boys. They need someone to race with tearing up the toys. Anybody want to go in with me on buying our own lumber yard & wooden bead factory???

Turquoise
04-25-2014, 07:44 AM
Yes Mare the non pinning eyes will be totally different from my macaws! They are experts in pinning! I did know that Toos didn't pin their eyes. A member on a small forum I belong to has a Moluccan Too. She said they don't pin, but they do change shape ever so slightly and you can learn to read them by that. :)

Mare
04-25-2014, 08:16 AM
Yes, they have eye lids that tell all!

Pinkbirdy
04-25-2014, 11:21 AM
These guys easily raise their crest . When their happy ,excited interested :) Different meaning in them than my white Toos and Hawkhead. I should take pictures of the remote and perches hes chewed through :)

kendrafitz
04-25-2014, 02:53 PM
Oh, wow! I didn't know that cockatoos eyes didn't pin! That is very cool. I guess it would be a learning curve for me though. I can tell a lot of what is going through my bosses mind by the pinning (or lack) of her eyes!

Grey
04-25-2014, 04:20 PM
Pinning eyes are a life saver. Especially with the psychedelic eye pin of a caique

Honesty
04-25-2014, 05:24 PM
Oh yes, the eye pinning from Codie has often saved me from having a chunk taken out of my arm! Amazons have very definite signs to show when they are angry, which is good. RB2's don't seem to give any warning signs if they are angry :(

Mare
04-25-2014, 08:42 PM
Goffin's don't show signs, either, not mine anyways. Ok, take that back,,,Sassy will get overly active and bouncy before she pounces. That would have to be the only body language she gives. Amigo..believe me..you just know!

Honesty
04-25-2014, 09:16 PM
LOL, angry too's are scarey :(

Turquoise
04-26-2014, 06:29 AM
Well I can't say that I will be too afraid of Dakota ' s beak. I mean geez, it ain't nothing like a macaw honker!! LOL

My macaws pin a lot, but it doesn't always mean they are mad or going to attack. They, at least mine pin at times of excitement and a split second later they are calm & mellow again. I do know when they are mad along with the eye pinning cause a macaw will definitely let you know with actions of body movement and like mine they will yell all the things they know how to say at me as if they are cussing me. They act like stumbling drunk birds when they get that mad and better not be messed with. Luckily they don't get that mad very often. :)

2birds
04-26-2014, 11:35 AM
How cute is that? He still looks like a baby. Love those little guys.

kendrafitz
04-26-2014, 11:58 AM
I love the stumbling drunk bird description De! So funny!!! I don't get words thrown at me. I get angry shrieks, Mohawk and nipping - generally only happens when I try to remove her from me. So I don't even know about pinning since I am not looking at her eyes.

I am with you about pinning. I can tell when Rosie is really interested, paying attention and soaking something in with her pinning. New words, etc.

Turquoise
04-26-2014, 01:01 PM
Thanks Lori. I really feel I will enjoy having a Too in the flock. :) They are my favorite as far as looks and he was hatched March 16th, so he won't be home til sometime in July at the earliest. That is the projected time frame for his weaning.

Kendra, Roscoe is my yeller and drunk acting one. Angle can yell at me some, but he mostly will just lunge when mad. Ruby Jewel does the Mohawk thing with her head feathers, but mostly with her if she does get mad which is rarely she will just ignore me and refuse to step up on my arm if out on her play perch. She actually has such a sweet personality so far, but hormones have not kicked in with her yet. So I better enjoy my sweet baby girl as long as I can. :)

JudiNH
04-26-2014, 01:33 PM
Wow! He's amazing. You must be so excited!!

2birds
04-26-2014, 02:36 PM
Where is your little guy coming from?

Turquoise
04-26-2014, 08:09 PM
Thanks Judi! I am very excited and waiting for the first photo so I felt I actually had a real bird was just as bad. LOL

Lori, Dakota is coming from Camelot Aviary which is in the Austin, TX. area. That is still 250 or more miles from me. I try to find aviaries in my state since I am not fond of having them shipped by plane to me. Ruby Jewel is the only one so far that came from another state & had to endure a flight and took it much better than I did I might add! She came out of Washington state. Amazingly there are quite a few aviaries in Texas, but I have not had much luck finding ones that raise Green Wing Macaws.

My Pineapple Green Cheek Conure, Serita is coming from Laura's Little Parrots Aviary in Irving, TX. which is 160 miles east of me and is between Fort Worth and Dallas. My only living sister lives in Irving.

Debra
04-26-2014, 08:50 PM
De', I wish there were some way we could meet up when you go pick her up. I live in Winona which is about 80 miles or so from DFW. Unfortunately, with Jerry's school schedule we don't have much free time to go off for a day. He's taking a day off on his birthday to go to Denton for a movie and a meal with my daughter and her fiance. That will be a hardship on him. But it's for his birthday! His day. He deserves it. He doesn't want anything else. Just to spend some time with the kids --- and be back home before dark. lol.

But I would so love to meet you somewhere. It's a shame we won't be able to do it. :(

Turquoise
04-27-2014, 09:51 AM
Well golly gee whiz Debra, don't rule it out just yet!! The projected weaning date Wil be sometime in May. It has to fit into our off days and just maybe we could drive to your town after picking her up and meet you some place? I don't think a few extra miles will affect Serita too much and hopefully we can get her in the morning and be out your way by afternoon, even if for only an hour or two.

I want to meet you very much too & my Jerry won't mind driving that way. Ok, I may have to drive it, but seriously when I get a date & we set up the trip to pick Serita up I will let you know and see if it is possible. How's That sound to ya? :)

Debra
04-27-2014, 12:38 PM
That sounds great! We could meet up somewhere between here and there!