PDA

View Full Version : Valentino's Compassion

noblemacaw
04-22-2014, 05:29 AM
I have lived with parrots for over 20 years. It is my experience that parrots are very narcissistic. It's all about them and what is in it for them. They want all the attention and everything is considered theirs. I have enjoyed living with parrots for so long I could never go back to being "parrotless".

Valentino my RFM is extremely intelligent. Not only is he now speaking in sentences and KNOWS what he is saying but he can figure out any foraging toy even the most difficult ones very quickly. Sometimes I think the RFM is a cross between an African Grey and a Blue Throated Macaw.

Tonight Valentino exhibited behavior I didn't know he was capable of. As you all know Valentino is bonded to me and will protect me. He is more apt to nip my Ex than step up or give any affection. Valentino is just trying to protect me because my Ex caused and causes me a lot of emotional pain. More often than not Valentino wants nothing to do with my Ex.

Tonight while I was relaxing, watching TV and cuddling with Valentino my Ex comes downstairs from the office and sits on the loveseat while I was lying on the couch. Valentino was lying on my chest preening. My Ex's demeanor was very depressed and upset as she told me how badly her childhood friend was doing with her cancer. Lupe was giving me courtesy of telling me the status of her friend because I have met this person and know her as well. As Lupe was telling me the status of her friend from what she was telling me her friend will not probably live until she goes back to El Paso to visit in mid June. Lupe was in so much pain Valentino flew to her, landed on her shoulder and pressed his face to the side of hers and says "Don't cry". I just stare at Valentino on Lupe's shoulder and how he was responding to her obvious pain. I was amazed watching what was unfolding in front of me. Never did I think Valentino had the capability to "comfort" another person he is not bonded to much less a person he has displayed a "dislike" for. I never knew my RFM had the capability to display such compassion. Valentino's compassion brought tears to my eyes. I will admit after thinking about what had transpired I am proud of my Valentino.

Has anyone else's parrot displayed compassion? If this something I might of put too much into? I understand Valentino is very intelligent but is it wrong to assign such emotions to the parrot? I am totally in awe of living with such a creature. I will do everything I can to be able to keep Valentino with me during this very difficult transition.

Honesty
04-22-2014, 07:35 AM
That is a very touching story Rebecca. It is indeed strange that Valentino tried to comfort someone he is not bonded too.

Codie is only bonded to me and I am pretty sure he would not go to someone who he does not care for very much, even if they were upset.

It is lovely that he did this and it just goes to show how intelligent they really are :)

kendrafitz
04-22-2014, 11:50 AM
Your story of Valentino's empathy brought tears to my eyes. He is such a special guy and I am so glad you have him in your life.

Rosie is not well spoken and is still a baby. So I view her the way I did my kids as babies, a walking id. It's all about her right now, no matter how much she loves us.

I hope that as she grows into herself she can become even a tiny bit as compassionate as Valentino is. He is such an awesome guy!!!