PDA

View Full Version : What can kill your bird

spiritbird
04-06-2014, 07:36 PM
This list is posted on Windy City and sent to me by e mail. It is pretty good.

I have seen the enemy and it is us.

The single biggest reason our birds die is - we kill them. Rather than expanding on each and every hazard, I'm going to list all that we came up with. Let us know about your experiences so we can help other pet bird owners avoid potential catastrophes .

Lands on edge of drinking glass, reaches down for liquid and falls in head first & drowns
Flies or falls into a mop bucket
Flies or falls into a toilet
Flies into a mirror
Water bottle malfunctions while you're out-of-town for 3 days - bird suffers dehydration
Electrocution by chewing through electrical wire
Flies into open oven
Flies into boiling water pot
Fumes emitted from Teflon cookware heated over 535 degrees (Birds are 90% lungs - people)
Using Teflon coated heat lamps to keep babies warm has killed chicks even at zoos
Bird gets stuck on single toy hung in middle of cage - gets tired and can't reach cage walls to leave toy - falls off toy from exhaustion
Toe caught in knot of chain - flaps uncontrollably until injury or death
Flies into old fashion glue fly paper - flaps uncontrollably until injury or death
Mouse trap under couch
Impaled on knife or sharp object on kitchen counter
Bird get laid on because someone thought it was cute to sleep with their bird
Flying out the door
Ingestion of a home cleaning product
Sucked into a vacuum
Stepped on
Squeezed too hard by a young child
Bird bites finger, clamps on - person shakes hand to get bird to release - bird hits floor or wall and dies
Run-ins with ceiling fans (Vets call them shredded tweet!)
Second hand smoke
Crushed in a sliding glass or any door for that matter
Other house pet kills bird
Other birds - Lovebirds will bite other birds toes - toe loss can cause a bird to bleed to death
Wrong human food - avocado, chocolate, caffeine ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks])
Place bird in outdoor cage in the morning, bird bakes in afternoon sun
Introduce sick bird into home without quarantine
Swallows remote control battery ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks])
Poisoned or electrocuted by chewing on cell phone

Please ponder this list as you look around your home

Mare
04-06-2014, 08:38 PM
Thank you, Dianne! Very good read!

Honesty
04-06-2014, 09:32 PM
Thank you for posting this Dianne!

Turquoise
04-07-2014, 12:31 PM
It is a very good thing for all of us to remember. I saw this yesterday as well on FB and I was planning on adding it here. Thanks for getting it on here for everyone to reference any time. :)