PDA

View Full Version : New guy

DixieDawg
04-06-2014, 12:17 AM
Live in east Tn now have a 37 yr old Scarlett macaw named Bogie (Bogart fan) had him from a hatchling an 80lb lab a two pound Chihuahua a wife and a daughter am a retired law enforcement officer and pretty much a parrot head (Jimmy Buffet fan) just enjoying life and having fun

-Dusty-

DixieDawg
04-06-2014, 12:23 AM
Sorry forgot his pic here's my Bogie2066

-Dusty-

kendrafitz
04-06-2014, 01:13 AM
Hi and welcome!! Bogie is stunning!

DixieDawg
04-06-2014, 01:15 AM
Thanks he's been my baby and friend for 37 years now he's an old man but still a sweet loving bird to just about anybody who will pay him attention

-Dusty-

kendrafitz
04-06-2014, 02:15 AM
That is awesome. The way you speak about him I can tell he is very loved/appreciated.

My GW just wants me and I hope one day she will go to others with the same enthusiasm. :)

Rita
04-06-2014, 06:01 AM
Hello Dusty,

Welcome at Precisely Parrors.
Wow, your Scarlet Macaw Bogie is very beautiful! Tell us some more about Bogie.
She's 37 and yoy have her for 37 years too, because you had her as a hatchling.
Is she sweet, a rascal or whatever? Does she speak and if so what does she say? Can she do tricks?
Are there any other pet-birds or other pets in your house?

Greetings from the Netherlands,
Rita

Maddy
04-06-2014, 06:25 AM
Welcome to the forum! Bogie is gorgeous! :th_heart:

Debra
04-06-2014, 01:20 PM
Welcome to the forum! Bogie is beautiful. I would love to see pics of your dogs too. Tell us more about Bogie! Interesting that I read this now as I have a Bogie movie on the tv right now. lol

Honesty
04-06-2014, 02:04 PM
:hello:...... Welcome to PP.

Bogie is adorable :) We look forward to seeing lots of pics of him and hearing all your stories and adventures with Bogie!

DixieDawg
04-06-2014, 05:58 PM
Bogie is an all around great bird often mischievous but always loving her favorite game is terrorizing our Labrador she'll call her then ask do you want to go outside with nobody around to let her out the dog gets excited runs around all crazy and bogie just dances and laughs they're best friends it's actually funny to watch but she's a loving bird and affectionate with anybody or any animal that pays attention to her she's a one of a kind and I feel really blessed to have found a bird with such an outgoing personality and social personality

-Dusty-

Mare
04-06-2014, 09:44 PM
Hi Dusty! Welcome! Bogie sounds wonderful :). I don't think I've really met anyone who's had the same bird for that long, 37 yrs.! AWESOME! Don't take me wrong, I'm not saying you're old but to live with one of these amazing creatures for that long is pretty special, indeed!

DixieDawg
04-06-2014, 10:47 PM
She's been a blessing in our lives for sure

-Dusty-

Minamommy
04-07-2014, 05:51 AM
Hi Dusty welcome. Bogie is very handsome. My husband is sitting here drooling over him. He wants a macaw so he can act like a pirate every day. You can tell you take wonderful care of him he just gleams.

Turquoise
04-07-2014, 08:14 AM
Welcome to the flock Dusty!:th_greet13:

Bogie is a gorgeous macaw!! I do love macaws, my favorite species. :) That is a great accomplishment to have Bogie for that long and especially since 37 yrs ago parrot keeping and getting them to thrive was pretty much in it's infancy. There wasn't much info to help folks back then on diet and general keeping requirements.

plax
04-07-2014, 03:44 PM
Hi Dusty... Welcome to our community :). You've certainly outdone me as far as how long you and Bogie have been together. I've had two of my four Macaws for a long while as well... but not quite as long as you've had Bogie. My B&G, Jack, and my Military, Maynard, have been with me for nearly 33 years.

By the way, I notice that Bogie appears to be the bird within the 'Parrot Community' photo image logo:

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

That's quite an honor :D

Thank you for joining us. We appreciate having you and Bogie as members at Precisely Parrots!

DixieDawg
04-07-2014, 03:47 PM
Looks about like it but I took that picture in my backyard about 5 years ago when I lived out in San Diego I'll dig up some more of her and post when I get back home later today

-Dusty-

DixieDawg
04-07-2014, 03:54 PM
Never noticed that but it sure looks like my Bogie

-Dusty-

plax
04-07-2014, 04:14 PM
Never noticed that but it sure looks like my BogieIt's the very same photo you've shared with us.

Minamommy
04-07-2014, 06:48 PM
Tony that could indeed be Dusty's bird. Can you imagine my surprise when I went looking for pictures of umbrella cockatoos on the internet and found MY BIRD in the picture search sponsored by the bird channel. I think the picture attached ok. It is a picture off of her profile in her album. I didn't know weather to be offended or proud they chose Mina. So if you put a picture out there it can be taken.

plax
04-07-2014, 07:29 PM
Tony that could indeed be Dusty's bird.Yes Kim, I'm sure its the same photo appearing within their ring logo.

Can you imagine my surprise when I went looking for pictures of umbrella cockatoos on the internet and found MY BIRD in the picture search sponsored by the bird channel. I think the picture attached ok. It is a picture off of her profile in her album. I didn't know weather to be offended or proud they chose Mina.Depending upon what a photo of mine were used for, I think I would be flattered :). Oh, and somehow your pic became attached twice. So I've deleted one of the duplicates for you. BTW, that's a very cool snap of Mina :D

So if you put a picture out there it can be taken.Yep. That's the thing about the Internet... most every image is saveable.

DixieDawg
04-07-2014, 08:57 PM
If they got their photo from Busch gardens or from parrot mountain in pigeon forge Tennessee it is the same pic of my bird I called my wife and had her go back and look that picture was taken in 2000 by Peter Kaliska I had it and several others taken for a promo shoot I'll post the rest of them when I get home later this evening that is my bird some people look to stir trouble no matter what if I wanted to rip off somebody else's bird it'd be a hyacinth or a spix I've always wanted both of those

-Dusty-

DixieDawg
04-07-2014, 09:06 PM
If it matters I bought Bogie in June of 1977 at the exotic pet fair and expo while stationed in Pensacola Florida from a breeder named Enrique Montoya haven't been down there in several years but he had a shop at the corner of conch ave and Leopold street I remember it like it was yesterday

-Dusty-

plax
04-07-2014, 09:25 PM
Dusty, please don't take the wrong impression. There was never a doubt in my mind that Bogie is your bird! So there's no need for you to prove anything to me or to anyone else. I merely recognized the photo and thought that you might like to know they were using it (in case you didn't). I certainly was NOT suggesting that anything you've shared with us is false. Please accept my sincere apology if I came across as doing that :cower:

DixieDawg
04-07-2014, 09:51 PM
Not a problem I may have just took it the wrong way I'd say his pictures have been used for a lot we had several promo shoots done using him during the time I was stationed in San Diego

-Dusty-

josiesmom
04-07-2014, 09:54 PM
After having bogie for 37 years, I would imagine there are 100's if not 1000's of photos and one never knows where they can end up. That is awesome that he is featured in such a cool logo! Go bogie! And of course dusty for taking such great care of that beauty.

DixieDawg
04-07-2014, 10:02 PM
He was a bit of a celebrity on the boardwalks and piers most all the locals it seemed knew my bird more than me

-Dusty-

kendrafitz
04-08-2014, 12:06 AM
It is crazy that anyone can use your pic once you put it on the internet. But it is a compliment!

I would imagine he would be a celebrity! Friendly and gorgeous, that is an irresistible combination. :)

I love Parrot Mountain. We have been twice when visiting Pigeon Forge. They are part of the reason we got Rosie. After getting to handle a macaw, my daughters love for them was sealed. ;) I haven't seen Bogies pic there, but I wasn't looking at anything but all the live gorgeous birds. Did they ask to use your photos? I hope they did!

Pinkbirdy
04-08-2014, 12:43 AM
Hey guys ,whats Parrot Mountain like ?

kendrafitz
04-08-2014, 01:09 AM
It is really beautiful and a great way to see and interact with parrots. They have a huge area with parrots you can feed and hold. It is on top of a mountain, right above Dollywood. The staff has been very nice and informative. We really enjoyed visiting.

Here is the website:
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

plax
04-08-2014, 03:00 AM
Here is the website:
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]! Speaking of certain images being taken from the Internet and displayed as part of the logos for various websites, that image of the GW in flight on Parrot Mountain's banner is the identical GW image that appears on PF's site banner ;)

DixieDawg
04-08-2014, 06:16 AM
I now live in east Tennessee about 20-30 minutes from PigeonForge I've been to parrot mountain it's a nice place with tons of birds and lots of information to see and learn after I retired we settled up here in a little area called NewMarket Tennessee not too far from where our daughter and her family live if in the area parrot mountain is worth the visit and a store in Knoxville called strictly feathers is worth a visit in my opinion it's the best bird store in town my daughter has a sun conure from them they raise some really great birds we buy most of our supplies from out there and you'd love Lucy an Amazon who is their official greeter enough rambling I'm not crazy about the winter here and I really miss the ocean but Tennessee overall ain't too bad a lot of beautiful scenery

-Dusty-

Turquoise
04-08-2014, 09:10 AM
I've been by the turn off to Dollywood and Pigeon Forge many times back between 2000 to 2005 when my hubby, Jerry drove an 18-wheeler all over the US. Never got to go to any of the fun and beautiful places I saw tho. Tennessee is a beautiful state, was one of my favorite places when we had to go east. :)

I would love to go to parrot Mountain. Sounds awesome and my kinda' place for sure!!

DixieDawg
04-08-2014, 09:15 AM
It's a fun place for any bird lover and if you like eagles Dollywood has a nice eagle exhibit and sanctuary

-Dusty-

Turquoise
04-08-2014, 09:25 AM
HAHA! Speaking of certain images being taken from the Internet and displayed as part of the logos for various websites, that image of the GW in flight on Parrot Mountain's banner is the identical GW image that appears on PF's site banner ;)

Tony, I have that same image in Cross Stitch form patterning I bought from a lady selling them PDF style online out of Florida back in 2010. I looked up macaw patterns through Google and found it. Later on in just Googling macaw photos I saw it on their "Images of Macaws" page and I recognized it right away on PF when I first joined. I have no idea who actually owns that GW picture, it is beautiful and I can see why folks would 'steal' it for their own use.

Also I have seen my Roscoe's photo once on the "Image of Macaws" Google page once when I was viewing it. I brought the image up and it was linked to a real estate agency of all things. It was a photo I took not long after I brought him & Angel home. Not long after I saw it on there it disappeared from the Google's image page and I didn't keep the real estate company's name so I never contacted them about using it.

Turquoise
04-08-2014, 09:30 AM
I don't get the opportunity to travel like that anymore, Dusty. Jerry had to quit driving due to a flood we had in our home in Aug of 2005. We had to rebuild our home from the metal exterior walls ourselves. We both now work as Correctional Officers on the night shift at a maximum security prison unit. Plus I don't have anyone to take care of my flock and other critters to be able to travel far.

DixieDawg
04-08-2014, 09:40 AM
That's too bad hopefully one day maybe with the kids grown and me and the wife retired we travel a little but mostly we just enjoy the lake, grandkids and each other these days

-Dusty-

Animalman2046
09-03-2014, 11:32 AM
Dusty welcome to the forum. What a beautiful bird you have.