PDA

View Full Version : Leg bands off or on??

Minamommy
04-03-2014, 08:47 PM
So I was looking up Mina's leg band info a big thank you to Tony for putting that up there. If anyone has info on BRFL let me know. Anyway back to the subject at Mina's first vet appt her AV removed her band. He said they were dangerous could get caught on a lot it's safer just to cut it off. So we did. How many of you have birds that have their bands removed?

Honesty
04-03-2014, 09:00 PM
I had Codie's leg band removed. I, personally think they are dangerous :(

kendrafitz
04-03-2014, 09:26 PM
Rosie had her leg band removed during her first vet visit. Her vet said the same. Dangerous and they seem to annoy the birds. I did get Rosie microchipped.

Grey
04-03-2014, 11:56 PM
I have never had a bird get caught by its leg band in over thirty years of keeping birds. That said, its personal choice.

On the pro column, a closed band can be used to prove identity and ownership if a bird is lost or stolen. A closed leg band is required on some species in some states. A closed leg band is one major requirement for proving domestic bred if you wish to travel abroad or move overseas with your bird (of particular interest to military families)

Cons - on rare occasions a bird may get it caught on something. I say rare because of the vast number of birds that are close banded, only an extremely small number get reported on sites as these as having harm caused to them.

Minamommy
04-04-2014, 12:59 AM
I am considering having Mina microchipped. I just have to get the nerve up to let them do that to my baby 😧

kendrafitz
04-04-2014, 02:38 AM
George - I agree it is a personal choice. :) Similar to clip or not.

Birds are required to have closed bands in our state. Unless, a vet feels it is a hazard. So I have a letter from him along with her band if we ever have a problem.

I know some vets put birds under anesthesia to chip. However, our vet did it while she was awake. It seemed the same as if they drew blood or gave an injection. Vet quick.

Maddy
04-04-2014, 05:40 AM
Peatree and Jester both have their leg bands.

spiritbird
04-04-2014, 12:35 PM
I have the bands removed from all of my birds legs. First grey I had was an open band that rubbed the leg to have a sore and was not even secure so off it came. Vet said it is a good idea to take them off because they see many birds develop issues with them.

Grey
04-04-2014, 12:48 PM
Spirit:

I would always remove an open band. That is a world of difference from a closed band

mrgoogls
04-05-2014, 05:30 PM
i am required to have a band on cooper(law with quakers in NY). but that said, i havent had a problem. it doesnt seem to bother him at all or anything. but its a personal choice

Minamommy
04-06-2014, 04:11 PM
I was VERY interested in getting a Quaker in PA we are not allowed to have them. I am very drawn to them. So so cute. I wish there was a away around it. Do you happen to know if there is? I hate to ask the man where I got Mina, I have a feeling he would produce one no matter what 😕.

Wow if they can do chipping while awake maybe I can find a good AV site near here to do that. Thanks for the tip Kendra.

Minamommy
04-06-2014, 04:13 PM
Any luck on a band with BT FL on it. not on Tonys list.

Animalman2046
04-06-2014, 08:31 PM
Removed my crimson bellied conures here. He got his leg with the band caught in between the cage bars while with the breeder and broke his leg in 3 places trying to free himself. Long story short..... the breeder never had it treated or seen by a vet and it healed back grossly deformed and non-functional. My avian vet saw him the week I got him and now after much work and cost it is 95% corrected. It is a personal choice but for me removing them is the best way to go. Safety first.

Turquoise
04-07-2014, 12:50 PM
All of mine that have bands are the closed kind. I have not had any problems thus far. Until I see it as a problem I will keep them banded.

Angel, my handicapped Catalina macaw does not have one, I think with him his breeder didn't expect him to live long enough to put one on and by the time she was certain he was in good health and had seen the vet, it was too late to add a closed band on him.

My Pionus Sierra does not have one. Not sure why, but I hope it is not a problem for me if I do decide to move to Alaska where my son lives in a few yrs. That is the main reason I will keep the bands on as long as I can to prove they were domestically raised here in the states.

Minamommy
04-07-2014, 06:23 PM
Do you think it will be difficult for parrots in Alaska? I was wondering how people did it there. Kept them warm enough that sort of thing.

Minamommy
04-07-2014, 06:23 PM
I am loving everyone's feedback. Thank u.

Turquoise
04-08-2014, 02:17 PM
Not sure about all of that with parrots in Alaska, Kim. I know if I ever do move up there coming from Texas I will definitely be keeping my home at least in the 70s in winter like I do now down here. I am not coldblooded like them that were born to live up there. :) Moving up there is a long way off if it ever comes about. My son & daughter-n-law are the ones who want us to move. I think they want us close when they have to hand feed us and change our paper in our cage. LOL I already told Jory I will not move without my parrots and dogs.

I have tried to research flying parrots to Alaska and find very little from the airlines in the lower 48s on the subject. Air Alaska has a lot about shipping from Alaska to the lower 48s as in they definitely do and they make sure the temps at both ends of the flight are agreeable for the birds. I know it is possible to ship birds to Alaska as I've seen it advertised on some bird sale sites that they ship to Alaska as well. I just haven't found what requirements it might entail to do that. I will check with one of my breeders one day and see if they have the info so I can be prepared if we do move one day.

I know what it takes to drive dogs through Canada as I did that with 5 of my dogs in the back of our red 2008 V.W. New Beetle, literally in the hatchback area, backseat laid down and a wire barrier dividing us & dogs when we went up to Fairbanks for Jory's wedding. All you have to get is a health certificate during the month you plan to drive through and it is only good for one month. And no one bothers to look at it the whole trip to & from Alaska! But I would not take a chance that would always be the case and will get them health certificates again if we ever go through again with my dogs. Birds aren't so easy to drive through and it can be more costly than flying them over due to all the paperwork and people who have to be called in & inspect them. Jory told me the birds should be able to ride the ferry out of Vancouver, WA. to Anchorage, but that is not possible. They allow domestic pets and livestock which includes fowl birds such as chickens, turkeys, etc. Parrots are exotics and are not allowed since they fall under the Wildlife, Fish & Game Dept. and would require much paperwork dealing with the Cites list and place of origin, plus too much care for the ferry trip.

Minamommy
04-16-2014, 04:52 PM
Would they have to quarantine them or is that just other countries? I have hear United Airlines is very good flying birds. Mina's behaviorist Jamie Whittaker has a lot of info about that. I was going to fly Mina to Texas with me at one point. You could give her a call. Check out her site ABC birds. Com. Maybe she knows something even about flying them on Alaskan air.

Turquoise
04-17-2014, 08:37 AM
Thanks Kim for the web site. I will check it out. :) Moving to Alaska if ever will be a long time away, there is no way we can do so in at least 5 to ten yrs. There is no quarantine on birds flown from Alaska to the lower 48s, so I wouldn't think there would be going up either as long as the birds do not have to make a stop in Canada. That's when there is all kinds of things that you have to do and have, to get them through. I have read some things about trying to take birds through Canada and I don't think I would go that route except as a last resort.

I was surprised when I researched about birds in Alaska and found so many in rescues. My son said that is due to the folks in the military either bringing their birds with them or getting one while stationed there and then being transferred to other countries. Can't take them, so they end up in rescue centers. Sad the think this may be at least part of the reason, but things happen that some owners can't help. :(