PDA

View Full Version : my suns a bird lover and i love it

koa
04-03-2014, 04:42 PM
ok so he will be geting a cockatile in a few weeks but he keeps saying that when he get older hes wants a blue and gold macaw do you think haveing so meny birds soon will be good for him he he is now going to have 8th pet :th_omg:

Debra
04-03-2014, 04:50 PM
Starting him young. I like that. When he's old enough to be on his own, he will have no problems taking care of a parrot.

koa
04-03-2014, 04:58 PM
by then he will have 100s of pets lol but he just loves the blue and gold macaws i told him he could maybe get one if he does a good job with the cockatile and in a year or 4 i would let him maybe get a blue and gold macaw

Turquoise
04-09-2014, 06:41 AM
It depends on how old he is now. If he is still quite young say under the teenage years I would stick to the smaller parrot species and let him grow into keeping them. How well he does with the Cockatiel should give you an idea when he will be ready to step up to a little larger bird.

Macaws need a person who can give them gentle positive handling and training. They will lunge at faces and it is just a trait of most macaws, not because they are mean or vicious. That is unless they have been abused and feel they need to protect themselves. They will however, try you if they think they can get away with it, especially when young. That is one reason I feel a child of preteen age is still too young to care for one solely by themselves.

If your son cares for all of his animals very well and is dedicated to that care, 8 pets should not be a big problem. Children do tend to change their interests as they grow up. College and social interests may change his idea of keeping many animals later on as well. Hopefully he will continue to want to care for multiple pets into adulthood as some of those pets I imagine will still be around with good care.