PDA

View Full Version : Mina was put on Baytril

Minamommy
04-03-2014, 04:26 PM
Yes little Mina was put on Baytril again. What I'm a little concerned about is the vet wants her on for 21 days!!! She is out of town and was nice enough to get her started on something however I think 21 days is a little excessive. I really don't want to keep her on it that long. I'm afraid it would kill any good flora she had too. What do you think? As for what is wrong no one has checked her fecal yet. So I don't know. I just know her. When she gets those long stringy dark green wormy looking poops it's not right and she will drink and then go to climb down off something and some will roll back up. Now is she just not swallowing or is this the sing of an infection. Like she had last time.

Honesty
04-03-2014, 08:04 PM
Sorry Kim, I know nothing about Baytril so I am unable to help you with this :( Hopefully, others will be able to give you some advice!

spiritbird
04-03-2014, 08:18 PM
This may help [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] You can enlarge the page at the top

Minamommy
04-06-2014, 04:36 PM
Ok so I call the vet after 3 days an NO report from Mina's stool sample. Haven't done it yet. So I went out for drinks with my friend who is my AV ( she was away when this went down). She said we need a new stool sample now. Guess what no you don't. We are done done done. Going back to Dr Winton till I can find someone decent in PA. my fear is emergencies. I don't want to go to far and have to travel hours. How far do you travel?

Debra
04-06-2014, 05:11 PM
My vet is about 30 minutes away so an hour round trip. Luckily I trust her. She even has a blue and gold of her own. I'm sorry to hear about your vet problems. Please let us know what you find out when you finally get some answers.

Mare
04-06-2014, 08:29 PM
The vet I use for my birds, is a little over an hour away, each way. Too me, that isn't too far if you know you are going to a trusted vet. I, personally, would drive the 3 and half hours each way, to UCDavis if I had to. Def let us know when you get Mina's results back. Hopefully you get some good news :)

Minamommy
04-07-2014, 05:46 AM
Mina's vet called today and said the old sample that is 4 days old dryed out and whatnot she saw no evidence that anything was wrong. But she wants a new sample to send out to be sure!!! I said are you going to run a culture and sensitivity too so we are sure she is on the right antibiotic? She has been on it 3 x now and what about the fact that she is on it. She said just bring me a sample Tuesday and we will see. Ummmm guess what? Nope no go. She sees Dr Winton Monday. I can't begin to describe how mad I am.

2birds
04-09-2014, 01:41 PM
Veterinarians can be frustrating. I have been given the same run around when it came to my injured horse. One told me to do something that I knew absolutely without a doubt was the wrong thing to do. Another (who is supposed to be the best of the best) withheld information because he was in my head and not his own and thinking for me over what I can afford after I told him that I was willing to do whatever needed to be done. Luckily for me I was able to meet and talk to an old guy (95 yrs. and sharp as a tack) who has worked with equine athletes and their injuries most of his adult life. He held my hand through the whole thing and my horse is well on her way to completely healed torn ligaments.
I would hate to go through that with a bird who is so sensitive.

Turquoise
04-10-2014, 06:26 AM
Kim did your vet find anything in Mina's samples yet? I don't have any dealings with antibiotics and birds to pass on either for you. Sorry I can't help you on it. I don't even have an avian certified vet closer than 200 to 300 miles one way to me. The vet in Abilene which is around 70 miles one way is not certified for birds, just the only one that will treat exotics and parrots. I don't care for her.

Had a bad experience with her dealing with my handicapped macaw Angel a couple of yrs ago. I felt she was incompetent since she couldn't tell he was incapable of standing on the T stand of the scales. The tech who took my info didn't bother to write down he was not able to stand. I had to leave him overnight due to my work schedule and when I called to check on him the tech I was speaking to basically accused me of abusing him by beating til he couldn't stand. I actually screamed in the phone, Are you stupid or what? Do you understand when someone tells you a bird was born handicapped and did you X ray the wing you think is broken which I know is deformed like his legs! Nope, they didn't bother to X ray him and wasn't capable of telling his leg joints were deformed.

What kind of vet can't obviously see this if they are truly examining this bird in person? And I took him in for breaking his point off of his beak while I was at work and I was worried he might bleed to death. They were so much nicer when I finally got the tech to shut her squawking about me abusing him up and actually listen to me. Then they X rayed his wing & found it was deformed, not broken. They were ready to ship him off to Texas A&M for surgery without an X ray first. That's the vet I have available. None closer than Dallas area for me. :(

Minamommy
04-15-2014, 11:33 PM
I have the same sort of thing here. Not as bad as that. How horrible for you!! Mina has been in her antibiotic for ten days and suddenly they want to get a stool sample to send out. Ummm I work in people medicine so I'm sure it's pretty much the same after being on the antibiotic for that long it would be ridiculous to send it for a culture and gram stain. You would never get a correct reading. I think they just want my money. Plus they charged me for the test they NEVER did. I left Mina on her antibiotic for 15 days. I felt that was long enough. I felt 21 was excessive since NO tests we done to say what is wrong with her. They put her on a pro biotic that I mistakenly gave to much of. They told me not to worry??? So now I just put organic vinegar in her water instead on a week off a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Minamommy
04-15-2014, 11:35 PM
Sorry I forgot to say I had given my other vet one last chance since she had out her on the Baytril.

Grey
04-16-2014, 12:16 AM
Lola goes on Baytril off and on throughout the year. Some amazons develop deep sinus infections that are next to impossible to clear up, and Lola is one of them. Just bear in mind that avian medicine is nowhere near as advanced as canine or feline medicine, let alone human medicine. Much of what is done is based on hunches, intuitions, and gut feelings. A good avian vet will have really good instincts. Mine have told me repeatedly " I can spend as much of your money as you want, or we can try _________..." More often than not, they are right.

While we are on the subject, training your birds to take fluid from a syringe is a great help for when you do have to administer medicines. Take a syringe filled with simple syrup and train them to take it, they will love the sweetness. Of course you won't offer the training syringe every day (they're not hummingbirds). But it is a whole lot easier to give a syringe to a bird that wants it instead of forcing one who has never seen one.

Turquoise
04-16-2014, 02:28 AM
That's a great idea George! Thanks for sharing that info with us about training to accept meds from a syringe. We can all benefit since none of us have any idea when it may be our bird(s) that are facing medication they don't really want or like.

Minamommy
04-16-2014, 04:42 PM
That is a big help George. I appreciate the help with the Baytril too. How long are your amazons usually on it at a time? Mina takes everything from a syringe like its a feeding till she figures out eww that Tastes bad. By then we are half way done lol. For some weird reason she loves this probiotic Beni-Bac. Poor thing that's what I ODed her on I gave her 5cc not 1 you have to dial the tube up. It wasn't omg it just kept coming out she was gobbling away! I called the AV she said not to worry. I did worry and slept in her room and watched her very close for the next couple of days.

Grey
04-16-2014, 07:09 PM
Since the infection will not go away, we generally do a 21 day course of Baytril twice a year just to keep it in check. We have tried other antibiotics, but she doesn't tolerate them well. Just ask the vet to formulate the baytril with a sweet base. I also follow each dose with a syringe of syrup (half the Baytril amount) so we end with something she likes

Minamommy
04-17-2014, 02:02 PM
That is a great idea. Next time she is on it I will try it. That settles my mind a little. She was put on for 21 days but no tests were run. So I had her on for 15 days and took her off. With no proof of infection. That is long enough in my mind. I'm giving her 2 weeks and getting her stool rechecked. Then I think I will have a better picture.