PDA

View Full Version : Feeling a little discouraged...

Blancaej
04-25-2013, 12:52 AM
So I've had Savannah for a week as of yesterday. The day I picked her up I took her to the vet so I could get that out of the way. By this past Monday I was able to take her out of her cage on a stick and pet her. I was able to feed her by hand, pet her beak and head through the bars and she would come up to the cage to see me. I can tell we were bonding! She enjoyed me being around!

Well we had to take her back to the vet yesterday because they didn't draw enough blood for her blood tests. She got on my arm at the vets right out of her kennel. But then the vet had to towel her to do the bloods and we all know how stressful that can be.

So now we have taken 2 steps backwards with our relationship. She moves away from me when I approach the cage and will no longer let me pet her in the cage. I did get her out this morning on the stick and she did let me pet her for a few seconds. I also sat and talked to her by her cage with the door open and she did come down to the open door to take treats from my hand. It's just so hard to see her nervous now when I approach her cage or try to pet her. :( It's like we are starting all over again.

This second appointment shouldn't have had to happen and I know it is neither my fault or hers but I'm just feeling a little down about it. It was so exciting to see our progress together and then just see it go backwards is heart breaking. I know I have to keep doing what I'm doing, I just hope she gets over this. I am hopeful that the few things she did for me today are all good signs. Any encouraging words??

Pinkbirdy
04-25-2013, 02:40 AM
I love Savannahs picture [looks like you could just hug her :) Your doing everything right :) Its a good sign at what shes doing [shes coming to you and not trying to bite] Let her call the shots [im sure she will be better soon :) Bet there will be a big difference at the 2 month mark. The toweling must be a lasting memory.My Macaw was sick last year and they toweled her alot. She gets afraid of clothes when Im folding them.

keepsmiling
04-25-2013, 07:22 AM
Is Savannah a GW macaw? I know of all macaws, gw's can be a bit unforgiving. Just keep talking softly, sing, read to her. Reserve that one special treat that she loves the most for those times when she comes down to accept it. The fact that she still does come for a treat is something you can build on.
Don't be discouraged, a week is nothing. It sounds to me like you are doing fine. Sometimes we just have to give them a little breathing room. Your feelings around her are important as well. They really can pick up on our emotions.:th_hug8:

Blancaej
04-25-2013, 11:58 AM
Pink - she is a very gentle laid back little girl. I am hopeful things will continue to progress at a pace she is comfortable with. I try not to push the envelope to avoid a bite! :eek:

Keepsmiling -Yes she is a gw. Thanks for the advice. I will keep working at it! :)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

roxynoodle
04-25-2013, 01:21 PM
Try not to feel discouraged; it can happen.

Pete got so upset about a vet visit he threw pellets at me for 3 days and kept yelling, "I good boy!" He got over it :)

After being toweled I do have the vet hand me back the bird to hold and cuddle for awhile before I put him/her back into the carrier to go home. I do think that helps.

aliray
04-25-2013, 01:51 PM
It will get better and she is beautiful.Audrey's idea sounds like a really good idea.

Blancaej
04-25-2013, 03:00 PM
Thanks Audrey - I think holding her after the exam is a great idea. Thank you for the tip

Alison - She is already showing signs of improvement!

I am happy to report that Savannah is already showing signs of improvement today! She is playing with her toys more, making more noises and even said cracker this morning. When I was cleaning the birds room this morning she was following me all around her cage and let me pet her some through the bars. She is just not sitting in the same spot all day like she did yesterday. She seems a lot more relaxed today! I got her out on her stick, although it did take some coaxing. And we walked around the room a little. She is still not comfortable getting on her play gym yet. She hasn't been since I've gotten her so that wasn't a concern for me. But she did well and seems to be enjoying her space again. What a relief. Thanks again everyone for all the encouraging words. I am sure it will just get better from here! :th_dancing:

Blancaej
04-26-2013, 02:09 AM
Just wanted to give everyone another update. Today went extremely well. I was able to get Savannah out of her cage 3 times. I walked her around her room (the dinning room) and each time I took her out I took her a little further into the kitchen. Because she is not used to other rooms I am taking it slow to get her used to the house. She let me pet her every time. She came up to me in the cage tonight and let me pet her beak and she took her tongue to my hand. So things seem pretty back to normal. I am hoping to get some pictures on here soon of her out of the cage and me holding her on the stick.

keepsmiling
04-26-2013, 02:11 AM
Thanks for the good update!:th_hug8:

Blancaej
04-26-2013, 07:07 PM
You're Welcome! Thanks for the encouragement! :)