PDA

View Full Version : Coqui Bit My MIL! :O

Blancaej
03-27-2014, 08:56 PM
Yes it is true!! Coqui bit my MIL, of all people. She came to visit on March 4 and Coqui bit her the next day. I had to take to the ER to get stitches shortly after getting home that day. It ended up being only one stitch thankfully, but I felt so bad. I let Coqui out and she wandered in the living room quicker then usual. Usually she heads for the hallway, not the living room. She was nibbling at Mary's feet and Mary put her hand down to get her to stop, not thinking about it. Of course, she realized after, that was not a good idea. Coqui gave her some warning bites, but Mary (my MIL) didn't really feel them and when she didn't pull her hand away Coqui latched on and didn't let go. When I came in the room Coqui was hanging from her hand! :th_shocked3: Mary was such a trooper. Thank goodness she was forgiving and understanding! I wanted to cry on the way to the hospital. I felt so bad. :th_shakehead: But Mary was very positive and said "When you have pets, these things happen" Can you believe that! She was just so nice about it. I couldn't believe it. I was thankful, because I know that she enjoys the birds and I didn't want this to ruin that for her. Lesson learned by all of us. My MIL just turned 84 a week after she got bit. So we watched the bite carefully for infection. It healed very well and the stitch came out before she went back home this past Tuesday. I will definitely keep my eyes on Coqui at all times when I have guests over. Usually she doesn't go near people except us 4. I feel like it was my fault for not keeping an eye out for where she was. I was tired when I got home. I had a head cold, my shoulder had been bothering me since vacation and I was just feeling blah that night. So that didn't help my mood at all that day! LOL!

Here are some pics:
At the ER
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Her hand the next day:

Her stitch

Pinkbirdy
03-27-2014, 09:07 PM
Oh WOW !!

Honesty
03-27-2014, 09:09 PM
Ouch, that looks quite a nasty bite! I am glad she took it all in her stride though :) Mary sounds like a very nice lady!

kendrafitz
03-27-2014, 11:25 PM
Wow! You have a wonderful mother in law Blanca!

spiritbird
03-28-2014, 12:00 AM
As please let your mom know we care. She sounds sweet.

Blancaej
03-28-2014, 01:22 AM
Brad and I are both lucky as we both like our mother in laws. His mom is sweet and I was amazed at how well she took all this. She was nervous around Coqui for a couple of days after and is definitely precautious around her now. Which is a good thing. She even told me "I should have just threw my blanket over her. I wasn't thinking" So she kept her blanket handy just in case. :th_wink: After about a week, she went back to talking to Coqui a lot more and having fun with her again. Thank goodness Coqui has such a great grandma. Grandma still loves her even after that! Nothing like Grandma! :th_wink:

I will tell her Dianne. :)

Animalman2046
03-28-2014, 12:23 PM
Blanca........ wow and ouch. Sorry this happened to your MIL. It looks like a real nasty bite. Glad she took it so well. She sounds like a great lady and glad to hear it healed so well. Yes these things do happen when we have animals........

Turquoise
03-30-2014, 11:12 AM
That does look like a nasty bite! They can be serious when they want to and they know it too. MIL is a trooper for sure! Glad it didn't need more than the one stitch with how bad it looks.

Debra
03-30-2014, 03:47 PM
Ouch! Your MIL is such a trooper to continue interacting with Coqui. Like I've said before, those big beaks intimidate me.

Maddy
03-30-2014, 03:50 PM
OUCH! Your MIL sounds like a very sweet person! When Jester bites my mom she won't talk to him or hold him for a couple weeks. :/

Blancaej
03-31-2014, 06:29 PM
Blanca........ wow and ouch. Sorry this happened to your MIL. It looks like a real nasty bite. Glad she took it so well. She sounds like a great lady and glad to hear it healed so well. Yes these things do happen when we have animals........

Thanks Ron! I am certainly glad it didn't ruin there relationship. Just a little more cautious is all! :th_wink:

That does look like a nasty bite! They can be serious when they want to and they know it too. MIL is a trooper for sure! Glad it didn't need more than the one stitch with how bad it looks.

Thanks De'Andrea - I am glad it only took one stitch, too! Although that was bad enough! LOL!

Ouch! Your MIL is such a trooper to continue interacting with Coqui. Like I've said before, those big beaks intimidate me.

They definitely intimidate! Just thankful it wasn't worse!

OUCH! Your MIL sounds like a very sweet person! When Jester bites my mom she won't talk to him or hold him for a couple weeks. :/

Thanks Maddy, she sure is a sweet person! I feel very lucky that she still talked to Coqui after that! LOL!

Mare
03-31-2014, 07:36 PM
Yo[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]! That looks pretty bad! Poor Mom, she sounds like a very tolerant lady and a keeper! :). I'm glad she healed up, well. I've been fortunate around Amigo's large beak but have seen some nasty damage to others that he's gotten ahold of, sadly :(

Blancaej
03-31-2014, 07:38 PM
Yes, sadly, Coqui knows how to use that beak all to well. Just got to keep a good eye on her, that is for sure!