PDA

View Full Version : The joys of Macaw ownership

willist
04-24-2013, 10:54 PM
I came home yesterday after being out maybe an hour to find both my Macaws had gotten out of their cages. One or both of them got on top of my parakeets flight cage and somehow managed to remove all their toys, a latter and one perch. When I walked in the house Connie was in Auggie's cage Auggie was on top of his cage and they were engaged in a rather heated discussion. Needless to say no one was too happy. Oh well another day enjoying my birds, sort of.

ShellyBorg
04-25-2013, 12:32 AM
Sounds like its time to double lock cages!

Blancaej
04-25-2013, 12:39 AM
Now that is double trouble for ya! Time to get out the locks! :)

Pinkbirdy
04-25-2013, 12:59 AM
Willist (Im sorry ] but thats so funny!!! I hate when they learn how to do that because at first [you think it was you forgot to lock them up] and your losing your mind ! Now the games on and their smart :) Why they have to go terrorize the smaller birds is beyond me . First place Harlow goes is on top of my scared Hawheads cage and plays Godzilla [not nice]. Dont you wish you had a video camera on them to catch it :)

keepsmiling
04-25-2013, 09:18 AM
Just a suggestion for the birds going onto others cages. They can be taught not to, or discouraged. For example, Pico's cage has a plexi top. He would definitely try to bite at Yuna or Elfe if they landed there, and could cause serious damage. The plexi does not feel comfy, since it is slippery=discourages them from even going there, and if they do, no harm can come to either. On top of Yuna's and Elfe's cage I rotate clean sheets, so if Pico lands there, neither can his toes be nipped, nor can he try to get his beak down into their cage to bother them. No bird likes to have another they are afraid of, or don't get along with, on top of their cage. Not to mention the dangers.

Pinkbirdy
04-25-2013, 11:32 AM
Just a suggestion for the birds going onto others cages. They can be taught not to, or discouraged. For example, Pico's cage has a plexi top. He would definitely try to bite at Yuna or Elfe if they landed there, and could cause serious damage. The plexi does not feel comfy, since it is slippery=discourages them from even going there, and if they do, no harm can come to either. On top of Yuna's and Elfe's cage I rotate clean sheets, so if Pico lands there, neither can his toes be nipped, nor can he try to get his beak down into their cage to bother them. No bird likes to have another they are afraid of, or don't get along with, on top of their cage. Not to mention the dangers. Hey good idea :)

Turquoise
05-03-2013, 05:23 AM
Oh My, what fun! LOL Roscoe, my youngest Catalina macaw learned how to open his aviary door, but he forgot he was supposed to do that when I wasn't standing right there watching him. He was not pleased when the lock I already had for it just for that reason promptly got snapped in place.

Maybe your two macaws were arguing about who tore up more parakeet toys. Got any pics of their handiwork? Would be funny to see, but not to the budgies.