PDA

View Full Version : New friend for Umbie???

Minamommy
03-16-2014, 12:54 AM
So I may be getting a job working night shift. Not only will it be a new thing for me to be working, but night shift will be new to me as well as to a whole new concept for Mina. I'm thinking of taking the next step and adding to my flock. This way Mina will have company while I am sleeping during the day. What I am worried about is she sometimes acts pretty aggressive. Like when she plays with stuffed animals she will puff up and roll around and attack them. It's ok she doesn't to that to my husband or I BUT what about another parrot? Also what would be the best parrot to put with her? :th_anyone:

Pinkbirdy
03-16-2014, 02:13 AM
My Ls2 likes both my male Ekkies and African Grey [but each bird can like what they like].I would not have them out at the same time . But im sure they would enjoy each other in the same room. Im sure she will be very jealous at first [but take the attitude were going to make this work :)]

Mare
03-16-2014, 03:10 AM
Are you talking about putting them together in the same cage? That would be a HUGE no, no! Companionship, in separate cages, works well for Sassy and Amigo and like Terri said, don't leave them out together. Please be sure they both have plenty to entertain themselves with while you are not around.

Pinkbirdy
03-16-2014, 03:37 AM
You should pick a bird that you want [not trying to guess what she likes]

Turquoise
03-16-2014, 07:55 AM
I agree not to house them together, but if you have room for two out of cage play perches you should be able to let them both out at the same time to play as long as you are there to watch for one or both getting off their perches and maybe fighting. I have all of mine out at the same time on their own perches during the day when I let them out. Leyla Belle, my ekkie is the only one right now that has her play perch pushed up to her cage so she can come & go inside & out. She loves it that way. The others are on portable play perches as well, but right now I don't have the room to allow them to come & go at their enclosures.

OK, I do work the night shift 4 nights on & 4 nights off. I have worked this for 8 yrs now and the last 2 I have owned parrots. It works great for me and my flock is used to me coming in around 7:00am, letting them out to play on their perches. Fixing their foods, putting them back in at 8:30am til I get up at 2:00pm to let them out again while I get ready for work. They go back in at 3:30pm when I leave for work. Most days they are very nice and stay quiet busily eating and playing. They do have their days of more noise, but I just close my door and have my fan that stays on all the time while I sleep to drown out background noises and I barely hear them.

My work schedule is why I have to be able to let all of mine out at the same time on separate play perches. I just don't have the time to let each out long enough and get any sleep. My work nights are 12 hrs long and I have a 1 hr drive to & from work which leaves me very little sleep time on work days counting taking care of the birds and myself. I could not work days at my present job due to I would have to get the birds up at 2:00am each work morning and would be home after they were asleep after 7:00pm. There would be no out time for them on work days if I changed to day shift.

Hope I have helped you with the night shift and keeping birds. It can & will work after you both adjust to the new lifestyle. :)

Honesty
03-16-2014, 02:05 PM
What species of bird are you personally thinking of? Just go with what you would like :)

Whatever you decide on, he or she will need a separate cage. You can put the cages near each other and you will probably find they will interact with each other while you are at work!

Minamommy
03-18-2014, 11:51 PM
I would most definitely will keep them separate. Not sure what kind of parrot yet. I would have to watch them very close I've seen my little Mina in action lol. I value everyone's in site and advice. Thank you DeAndrea if I get the job I was at a loss as to how to be with Mina. That seems like a good plan. I will let you all know if I get the job and if there is a new baby in by future.

Pinkbirdy
03-19-2014, 12:23 AM
Id get a Macaw [seriously] :)

ShellyBorg
03-19-2014, 04:01 AM
For a second companion I would be looking for a older bird. One that knows how to play and is no where as needy as a younger bird would be.

Minamommy
04-09-2014, 03:32 AM
Shelly that is a great thought. Thank you.