PDA

View Full Version : Jack has something stuck in nostril

garden squirrel
03-05-2014, 08:21 PM
Just need a bit of advice. Jack has got something lodged in his nostril. I know Im going to have to towel him to get it but what can I use to remove it. I am worried jack will not cope with being towelled and I am here on my own. So I worry I could hurt him if I use tweezers and suggestions would be helpful[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

plax
03-05-2014, 08:58 PM
Hi Dawn... Can you explain a bit more about what you're noticing? What size is the object you're seeing? How far within his naris does it appear to be and do you have any idea what it may be? Of hand, I would recommend a trip to an avian vet. If he resists when you're trying to remove the object yourself, you may end up injuring him. Can you get him to a vet?

garden squirrel
03-05-2014, 09:09 PM
Thanks for the reply tony. It is not far down his nostril it is at the top this is a clearer photo. The object is a safflower seed as it has moved so I can see it. As for vets avian vet not on tonight as rang them and they said I would be better to wait to morning to see him. It is not bothering jack. Im worried it will slip further down.

garden squirrel
03-05-2014, 09:09 PM
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

plax
03-05-2014, 09:21 PM
Yes, I can see that the safflower kernel is lodged right in the external opening of his nostril. It's possible that Jack may try to remove it himself with one of his claws if it begins to bother him. You may be able to remove it more easily if you have someone restrain him for you while doing so. As you've mentioned, the important thing is not to allow it to slip inside further. That's why I've recommended a vet. Hopefully the safflower kernel is too large to migrate deeper into his nasal cavity.

garden squirrel
03-05-2014, 09:24 PM
I hopefully have someone coming over soon . So will see if I can move it with a bit of tissue or something. But restraining jack is not ideal as he has breathing problem but will see if I can help him.

plax
03-05-2014, 09:33 PM
It looks to me like your best chance is to try and get in behind the kernel as to scoop, or pop it out. But you will have to find a tool that is very narrow, while still having a smooth or blunt end. Look around and see if you can locate something like that. I would not recommend tweezers (because they generally have sharp tips) unless you are comfortable using them and very careful!

garden squirrel
03-05-2014, 09:39 PM
Ok thanks will let you know how it goes. Will be trying in a little bit

plax
03-05-2014, 09:42 PM
Ok thanks will let you know how it goes. Will be trying in a little bitOkay. Once he's restrained, be sure to proceed carefully.

garden squirrel
03-05-2014, 10:08 PM
All that panick and its all over with. Used a small straw, it came out fairly easily . Im shaking like a leaf restraining jack is no small feat. Hes on a nebuliser now as his breathings gone funny but it is not major. He will be ok when he calms down . Thank you for your help.

plax
03-05-2014, 10:15 PM
Good job, Dawn :). I'm very glad that you were able to remove the kernel and that Jack can now calm down, and that you can rest at ease.

Honesty
03-05-2014, 10:24 PM
Fantastic news Dawn! Well done :) You can breathe easy again now!

Maddy
03-06-2014, 05:24 AM
That's great that you were able to get it out! :th_hug8:

garden squirrel
03-06-2014, 09:30 AM
Jack is absolutely fine today . The house is back up to its normal level of noise, I have just had my nan on the phone she is 97 and is laughing at me over jack. Hence the stories of me as a child, the things you find out from the elderly in your family . Ha ha she was saying she hopes jack is better behaved than me. When I was young I got a marble stuck in me ear and a barbie doll shoe stuck up my nose. Both requiring hospital treatment . When you think about it parrots are just like children and often get into the same problems.

Turquoise
03-06-2014, 02:04 PM
Glad to hear Jack is back to normal and the seed was not harder to get out. Good thinking on using a straw. :)

Our feathered kids are exactly like having two legged kids around that can fly, making it harder to catch when they are being an imp! :th_LOL: I have a friend who has 3 Amazons and 3 macaws. She's had her Zons for a good many years and one of her macaws. Once she acquired her last 2 macaws she exclaimed they are like having monkeys with wings. :th_biggrin:

Maddy
03-06-2014, 04:51 PM
I'm so glad he's doing good today! (:

BeakFace
03-06-2014, 07:59 PM
Next time try using a baby suction tool used for cleaning out drainage in a baby nose. Its works and very soft.

Honesty
03-06-2014, 08:35 PM
We don't have these here in the UK Cynthia!