PDA

View Full Version : Hello Everyone

spiritbird
03-05-2014, 12:56 PM
I bet you are wondering why I am posting in the Cockatiel forum. Us bird people sure have a soft heart when it comes to birds. I have been watching a normal gray female Cockatiel where I work for a while now. Needless to say no one was paying any attention to her but me. She is with us now and her name is Luca. Chipper and Daisy seem to be friendly to her but she is not sure yet.
I am working on the training and bonding and instilling some self confidence. Her wings are severely clipped so she has trouble flying. Luca took right to the greens better than the seeds. She steps up easily but only when she is out of the cage. I am also working on increasing her self confidence.
All in all she has fit right in well.

Honesty
03-05-2014, 01:18 PM
Hi Dianne. Great to see you :)

Fantastic news on you rescuing Luca :) Look forward to seeing lots of pics!

Blancaej
03-05-2014, 03:09 PM
Again, congrats on your new addition Dianne! Can't wait to see more pics! You are doing a great job, she will settle in nicely, I'm sure.

Debra
03-05-2014, 05:29 PM
Hi Dianne! We've missed you. I'm so happy for you to have taken Luca in. She's beautiful. You will have her confidence level up in no time. You're such a good mommy.

kendrafitz
03-05-2014, 06:49 PM
Congrats and welcome to Luca! You must be super excited.

spiritbird
03-05-2014, 07:11 PM
Thank you everyone. Luca does not want to come out of her cage. If she is to come out I must go in and get her which is not good. I think if she continues to want to stay in cage this behavior will cause her not to be comfortable in our home. Once she gets out she loves looking out the windows and flying for short distances. Anyone have any suggestions as to how to get her feeling comfortable enough to exit the cage without my taking her out?

Honesty
03-05-2014, 07:28 PM
I think, in time Dianne, Luca will venture out by herself. Once she is used to both you and her new surroundings, I am pretty sure she will be fine. Just give her a bit of time :)

Debra
03-05-2014, 07:53 PM
I agree with Wendy. Just give her time to settle in and get comfortable in her surroundings. You are still new to her even though she might remember you from the store. Once she feels secure she will be more motivated to explore. Keep talking to her and interacting with her and she will get used to you.

coltfire
03-05-2014, 10:55 PM
Well if you can get her to come out on her own let me know, as I have the same problem with my teils once out they are fine but I have to get them out and that stresses them. And ive been training for months and months.

Pinkbirdy
03-06-2014, 01:35 AM
Hi Dianne :) I noticed the tiel right away in your signature. I would just keep opening the door and let her figure it out .

Mare
03-06-2014, 04:41 AM
Our little Chip, who was found in the great outdoors by my brother and ended up with us, always liked to be outside his cage, I kept it open for him to come and go. Chip is now loving his cage and doesn't come out as much as he use to! I wouldn't worry, Dianne, Luca will come out when she's ready.

PlaxMacaws
03-06-2014, 04:49 AM
Welcome back Dianne. It's so nice that you've taken in Luca :)

Maddy
03-06-2014, 05:21 AM
Luca is beautiful, and I love her name! Congrats! :th_heart:

BTW- I love your new sig!

spiritbird
03-06-2014, 10:31 PM
Luca went for her first vet check today and passed with flying colors. The vet did not like the wing clip as it is too severe and takes away from the beauty of a Cockatiel. I agree with her and will mention it to the person that did it. She also commented on Luca's messed up tail. Just wait till this time one year from now. She will be fit for a beauty contest!

Honesty
03-07-2014, 02:01 PM
Great news Dianne :)