PDA

View Full Version : Update. Havnt been on in a long time.

shelbyrenee1329
03-04-2014, 12:58 AM
Just thought I would post some newer picture of my boy Danny and show off the newest member of our family Addie a 2 year old Yellow Headed Amazon! She such a sweetie and an awesome talker. We got her from Traverse City Parrot rescue after she was surrendered when her mom passed away from cancer.

Miss Addie

And Addie again she is very over overweight. I got her switched over to pellets pretty quick and she is looking much better, we have had her for about a month.

And heres Danny Checking out the camera

Ohh also have anyone ever heard of a 2 year old amazon acting very hormonal?? Shes a little nippy but really I think its the age, but she is always putting her tail in the air and making that horrible noise. We have both the birds on a 12 hour a night sleeping schedule and no body petting. Could it be because of Danny being here? They have not been together other then their cages are be each other and being across the room from each other then they are out. Her band say 11 sideways so I was told by the rescue that means she was born in 2011

Blancaej
03-04-2014, 02:28 AM
Beautiful flock! I don't own an amazon, but I'm sure others will chime in.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

PlaxMacaws
03-04-2014, 02:53 AM
Welcome back, Shelby! Danny is looking great and Addie is beautiful :dyh:. I'm sure some members will chime in with opinions about Addie's behavior. Thanks for logging in :)

Maddy
03-04-2014, 05:35 AM
Both Addie and Danny are beautiful!

Honesty
03-04-2014, 08:38 AM
Welcome back Shelby :) Danny and Addie are beautiful!

2 years old is too young for Addie to be hormonal. Amazons go through this stage between the age of 5 and 7 years old. It could be that she is showing off in front of Danny, or she is warning him that this is her territory!

Debra
03-04-2014, 02:43 PM
They both are gorgeous! Congrats on the addition of Addie!

Turquoise
03-06-2014, 01:04 PM
Gorgeous birds Shelby! Addie is a doll! Could be that she is older than the rescue thinks. It has been years since I owned a couple of Amazons, but mine were both males and I never owned a female.

George (Grey) on here knows a lot about Amazons. Hopefully he can shed some light on Addie's behavior at her age. :)

shelbyrenee1329
03-07-2014, 06:44 PM
The only reason we think she is 2 is because of her band. Would a sideways 11 mean she hatched in 2011?

Honesty
03-07-2014, 06:51 PM
I am not sure on what is written on the leg band as ours are different in the UK.

I have a feeling she could be older than 2, as obviously she is showing the classic hormonal signs!

Mare
03-07-2014, 08:39 PM
Hi, Shelby :). Have you done any of your own research on what the numbers may mean on Addie's band? You would think that a rescue knows what they are talking about but info can get skewed and mis-info can get passed on. If I were you, I'd do some research on what the numbers mean, on leg bands. Just a suggestion :)

shelbyrenee1329
03-07-2014, 11:55 PM
Yes I have . all that I have found out is that it is a generic band so its not registered and that the sideways tx means the breeder was in Texas and the sideways 11 means she was hatched in 2011. The rest is her info about batch and what chick she was.

So it says. EK&A sideways tx sideways 11

Turquoise
03-08-2014, 04:43 AM
I live in Texas and tho I am not familiar with every parrot breeder in the state I have looked up a good many of the ones I can find with websites and off hand I can't remember running across one with those initials or similar name to match. Should I find out where they are located or how to get in touch with them, I will certainly pass the info on to you Shelby.

shelbyrenee1329
03-08-2014, 03:29 PM
I live in Texas and tho I am not familiar with every parrot breeder in the state I have looked up a good many of the ones I can find with websites and off hand I can't remember running across one with those initials or similar name to match. Should I find out where they are located or how to get in touch with them, I will certainly pass the info on to you Shelby.

ok thanks so much.
If I dont find out its not a big deal. Shes a happy, healthy girl thats all that matters.