PDA

View Full Version : Help to findout my 5 months old cockatiel's gender

Meoto
02-27-2014, 05:56 PM
Hello Guys,
can someone please help me to findout my 5 months old cockatiel's gender..
a friend of me told me that she guess he is a male but she wasn't really sure..
another point that making me even more confused is :
the bird actually never sing and whistle as male cockatiels usually do,
so i'm honestly so confused and i really need to know if he is a boy or a girl...so i'm uploading some pics and hopefully you guys would help me to decide.
pics:

a pic when he/she was 3 months old :

another pic when he/she was 3 months old :

and these pics all taken last week, when he/she is 5 months & 20 days old:

waiting for your help :)
Thanks & Regards

Debra
02-27-2014, 06:17 PM
What makes your friend think male? Just curious. I'm uncertain as to the gender of him/her as I've forgotten how to sex lutinos. I know my lutino is female -- but only because she has laid an egg. She doesn't talk or sing either. Just by going by what you described of her behavior I'd say you have a female. Both of my females are pretty much quiet. But then again, your baby is young still. Let me do some research for you and see if I can remember how to sex the lutinos.

Debra
02-27-2014, 06:41 PM
Ok, I just talked with my mentor who used to breed tiels and has done extensive research on them. She said short of DNA sexing them, you just have to watch the birds actions or wait until maturity and see if the bird lays an egg, and short of laying an egg there is no way to be positive other than the testing. What you are describing sounds like female. Do you know what the parents were? You could tell by them whether or not you have a female or male.

Meoto
02-27-2014, 06:53 PM
Thank you so much for your help Debra,
what makes my friend thinks he is a male is because of the parrents...
the parrents are :
male: White face pied
and the female: Lutino

Debra
02-27-2014, 07:07 PM
Oh! Let me go tell my friend what the parents are! I didn't know you knew. Be back in a bit.

Meoto
02-27-2014, 07:13 PM
Oh! Let me go tell my friend what the parents are! I didn't know you knew. Be back in a bit.

Yays!
:th_yah:
i'll wait thank you so much :th_hug8:

Debra
02-27-2014, 07:36 PM
Ok, basically there is no way to tell short of a DNA test with this pair. Lutino is a gene that is passed down by the father so this bird's father is whiteface pied split to lutino. So it's still anyone's guess. If the tiel is quiet then it's my guess that it's female. Sorry I couldn't help you more.

Meoto
02-27-2014, 10:14 PM
Ok, basically there is no way to tell short of a DNA test with this pair. Lutino is a gene that is passed down by the father so this bird's father is whiteface pied split to lutino. So it's still anyone's guess. If the tiel is quiet then it's my guess that it's female. Sorry I couldn't help you more.

Nope don't be sorry you did help already :)
i'm not a patient person so it would be hard for me to wait for few months till it gets old enough so i guess i'll try the DNA to make sure :th_hehe:
and thank you so very much for your help Debra you're awesome :yourock: