PDA

View Full Version : Is jack a Jackie

garden squirrel
02-23-2014, 09:27 PM
Just recently jack has decided to do major nesting behaviour when out. He is making nests on the sofa beside me. Most of the time all I can see is him scratching and his rear end in the air. What do you lot think boy or girl sorry bout quality of photos but its hard to take when he in the corner beside you[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Honesty
02-23-2014, 09:31 PM
I have a feeling Jack could be Jackie after all :) You will soon know if, he lays an egg :th_shocking: How old is Jack?

garden squirrel
02-23-2014, 09:38 PM
I have no idea I have only had him a year and half. I would at a guess say he about 8 if I remember back to what gypsies said. Um no eggs please pip my grey laid an egg. He always been a he so can't change that.

Honesty
02-23-2014, 09:44 PM
Ah well, it will be interesting to see if jack lays an egg! You could always have him DNA tested with Avian Biotec. Have you ever used these? This is how I found out Codie's gender :)

garden squirrel
02-23-2014, 09:49 PM
Jack has major breathing issues, so daren't handle him or towel him as it causes problems he was kept in the previous owners smoking room.. I think an egg will certainly resolve the query though. Never had a bird DNA. Tested though.

PlaxMacaws
02-23-2014, 09:51 PM
Some of the males do all of those things as well. Hormones inspire them to build nests, back up to objects (and people), and regurgitate. The only conclusive proof other than a lab test or a surgical examination is, as Wendy said, whether or not Jack lays an egg ;)

garden squirrel
02-23-2014, 10:17 PM
Thanks tony, I hope he does not lay an egg.

PlaxMacaws
02-23-2014, 10:21 PM
You're welcome, Dawn. And good luck on the no egg ;)

garden squirrel
02-23-2014, 10:23 PM
Yer I do wonder who would be flapping more, me or jack if he laid an egg.there are so many different views about if you take egg away or not.

Honesty
02-23-2014, 10:36 PM
Jack has major breathing issues, so daren't handle him or towel him as it causes problems he was kept in the previous owners smoking room.. I think an egg will certainly resolve the query though. Never had a bird DNA. Tested though.Yes Avian Biotec are very good. It costs £14.00. They send you a kit through the post and you just have to send in 3 chest feathers. You usually get the results within a week :)

garden squirrel
02-23-2014, 10:38 PM
Yes Avian Biotec are very good. It costs £14.00. They send you a kit through the post and you just have to send in 3 chest feathers. You usually get the results within a week :)

Is that blood feathers or just ones that have dropped out. As it would take a brave soul to pluck them from jack.

Honesty
02-23-2014, 10:45 PM
Is that blood feathers or just ones that have dropped out. As it would take a brave soul to pluck them from jack.:th_LOL:It has to be blood feathers! It took me a week to pluck up the courage to pluck out 3 of Codie's chest feathers. I was so worried it was going to hurt him :( In the end, I put him in front of me, so his chest was level with my eyes, I had a few toys with me too. I gave him a toy and while he was distracted with that, I quickly pulled the first one! To my total amazement it came out really easy. Codie did not bat an eyelid :) I then quickly pulled the other 2. I was so proud of myself for doing this :) I was also really pleased to find out, it did not hurt him in any way :)

garden squirrel
02-23-2014, 10:47 PM
Tell you what Wendy. You will have to come and visit. Ha ha I have a job lined up for you. I had better wait for the egg for now. My finger still broken from the last bite.

Honesty
02-23-2014, 10:52 PM
Tell you what Wendy. You will have to come and visit. Ha ha I have a job lined up for you. I had better wait for the egg for now. My finger still broken from the last bite.Yikes! I am not sure if I would be brave enough to pull out Jack's feathers :th_hehe: I have seen what he done to your finger :th_omg:

Mare
02-24-2014, 04:36 AM
I don't own a macaw but my male cockatoo will make a nest with a towel, in a chair, and set on golf balls! I also wondered if he might be a female but he was tested and is full blown MALE!