PDA

View Full Version : Update on Joey the Green Cheek

danfrog
02-23-2014, 12:12 AM
Joey has made a lot of progress the last couple weeks. He is still biting here and there, but much softer and less frequently. He/she is five months old. Loves bath time and cuddling, but doesn't seem to play much at all. Since we are first time bird owners I want to make sure im doing things right.

I have him in a double tall vision bird cage away from all a.c. vents. I feed him Supremes bird pellets, kale greens, apples, oranges, plain oats, bananas, a nibble of cheese, everything purchased from the organic store . He also has bird vitamin drops added to his water bottle. As for his big treats, he has yogurt covered sunflower seed he absolutly loves. He gets about 30 to 40 minute outside the house every day to get some nateral hawaii lighting, but is out and about his cage most every day on his play gym. He gets to play in his sink every other day. He was extremely bity when we first got him, here is a pic now.[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Oh! We use only grapefruit seed extract and vinegar for cleaning. Any and all tips would greatly be appreciated. Thanks!

danfrog
02-23-2014, 12:15 AM
He also likes getting his beak, head, and neck rubbed and will occasionally slip my finger the tongue without me noticing. Takes me a little bit to realize I'm petting bird tongue.

danfrog
02-23-2014, 12:45 AM
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] a pic of his cage to make sure its big enough.

Maddy
02-23-2014, 06:45 AM
Oh my gosh he is SO cute! :th_heart:

You mentioned you let Joey have cheese. Cheese shouldn't be given to birds. It is hard for them to digest. One of my friends knew a Moluccan Cockatoo that had to have surgery to remove a lump of undigested cheese from his crop.

Debra
02-23-2014, 02:31 PM
Glad to hear he's coming along so well. That cage looks just fine for him. Love the picture of him in your hand. That shows a lot of trust in you. Keep up the good work!

danfrog
02-23-2014, 06:36 PM
Kk will cut out cheese all together. Thank you very much. I dont want to risk anything. I read that its okay very sparingly. Joey sure is comming around. At first I was worried I made a bad choice in getting a bird. But now I'm absolutely positive getting him was probably the best decision I've had in a while.

Honesty
02-23-2014, 10:16 PM
I am really pleased everything is going well for you and Joey :) As Debra has said, it looks like he now has complete trust in you!

Pinkbirdy
02-24-2014, 02:51 AM
Its great to hear how into him you are !!! All your doing is GREAT:) [I only clean with vinager too ] . don't worry your relationship will only progress [look how far youve come!!]

shel
03-01-2014, 09:08 PM
joey is so cute. any birdy that will lay in your hand like that trusts you. beaker and i have a wonderful relationship, but he won't do that for me!