PDA

View Full Version : Help please

Parrotlover83
02-21-2014, 02:53 PM
Can anybody help me my military macaw is chewing his leg & I don't know why & how to stop him doing it [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Parrot Power...........:-)

ShellyBorg
02-21-2014, 03:31 PM
First is has he been to a avian vet? This looks really bad and you need to make sure he does not have a massive infection in it. Parrots will chew on a body part that is hurting them. PLEASE take him in as fast as possible. To be this bad means he is in a lot of pain and may lose his foot if you do not act quickly.

PlaxMacaws
02-21-2014, 03:55 PM
In a recent thread ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]) you explained how your Military Macaw had crimped down his leg ring and that you took him to the fire department to have it removed. You mentioned that you had planned to bring him to an avian vet on February 19. Were you able to take him to the vet appointment? If so, contact the vet again and tell him/her about the leg chewing and get your bird back in to see this vet. If you weren't able to make the appointment on the 19th, schedule another one for as soon as possible. Your bird will likely need to have his leg and foot cleaned, bandaged and wrapped and as well be prescribed an antibiotic/anti-inflammatory medication. If your bird refuses to leave his leg and foot alone once it's bandaged and wrapped, he may need to wear something like a collar device until his leg has healed. So please get him to a vet ASAP, as Shelly recommended. And please keep us updated about his condition.

Parrotlover83
02-21-2014, 05:00 PM
I will take him back ASAP this is the same foot that the leg band got crimped into the avian vet said he was fine on the 19th but today he has bitten most of his nail off :-(

Honesty
02-21-2014, 05:25 PM
Let us know how you get on Angie! We will be eagerly awaiting to hear!

Parrotlover83
02-21-2014, 05:47 PM
Vet can't see him til tomorrow, I've cleaned foot up with antiseptic wound cleaner ( animal friendly ) no more bleeding & he is eating & playful which surely is a good thing

Parrotlover83
02-21-2014, 05:50 PM
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] made the local newspaper today

plax
02-21-2014, 05:57 PM
Great write-up about Oscar's experience :)

kendrafitz
02-21-2014, 07:32 PM
I'm glad he seems to feel a bit better. It stinks that the vet won't see him sooner. Thank goodness his mommy knows what to do!!

Parrotlover83
02-21-2014, 11:23 PM
I love my birds so much :-( I can't take the pain if anything happens

Honesty
02-21-2014, 11:29 PM
I know how you feel Angie! We are all here for you.

Debra
02-22-2014, 05:13 PM
Have you been to the vet yet? What did he say?