PDA

View Full Version : Sun conure at pet store

buddingtwigs
04-21-2013, 10:46 PM
Back in August after Georgie died, i was always stopping in stores to look at the birds because i missed her so much. I had seen these 2 sun conures who were about 5 months old at the time, named Mango and Kiwi. They were the nicest, friendliest, happiest suns i've ever met. I wanted them really, but knew i basically 'shouldn't' get another sun (or 2) when i'm grieving the one i just lost (and i had no intention of buying a parrot from one of the big chain pet stores).

Anyhow, i happened to go in there today and it made me cry. Only Mango is there now and is like a different bird. Totally unhappy and neurotic (assuming since they sold Kiwi--these two had an ADORABLE bond forming). I didn't even know there was a bird in the cage actually, and was looking all over and found Mango up in the corner, just picking at him/herself. There was a large bald patch on the one side of the breast already, and the bird barely even looked up, just kept picking at the feathers. OMG, what a sad thing to see. Here was a bird who struck me because of the wonderful, friendly, open and happy personality, reduced to this. I actually cried and walked away to get my breath.

I almost wanted to buy that poor bird to save him/her. I can't really afford it right now though. I really hope and pray this sweet bird goes to the right people who understand and appreciate her. This breaks my heart. It's kind of the "ugly" side of the whole pet business.

gemini_84
04-21-2013, 11:19 PM
that is so sad, i really hope mango finds a lovely for ever home soon. Pet stores really annoy me when i hear stories like this, they are only in it for the $$$ these are living creatures with real feelings

94lt1
04-22-2013, 12:27 AM
What pet store and where...as I city, state....

Animalman2046
04-22-2013, 12:34 AM
gemini you hit it right on the head..........animals have feelings and feel pain and happiness just like we do. If people think that God only gave humans these feelings then they are dumber than He meant us to be. If animals can't experience happiness then why are they always so happy to see us when we come home?????? If animals don't feel pain and fear then why do they cringe in fear when certain people come around????? If people don't realize that animals have feelings then we are dumber then they are........sad!

buddingtwigs
04-22-2013, 12:38 AM
Petco, Raritan, NJ. I had been impressed how happy and cared for they seemed. This bird either couldn't handle being separated and the only bird in the store, or simply, not being handled and interacted with, just standing in a cage alone in a busy store is getting the best of him. The core personality was lovely before. I would love to see this bird with an understanding family. I think his real self will shine again in time.

94lt1
04-22-2013, 04:19 AM
Petco huh... Can you possibly get me a store number.

The sooner the better.. Just call tomorrow and ask them for the store number please.

buddingtwigs
04-22-2013, 02:00 PM
I think they have the store numbers on the website and it is store 390.

Wendy K.
04-22-2013, 02:36 PM
Oh how sad, Patti. :( Poor Mango is all alone now, and probably gets no attention. :( I, too, hope he'll be in his/her forever home really soon.

94lt1
04-22-2013, 04:56 PM
First off, the birds aren't supposed to be together for just this reason.. I think it's cruel any way you look at it....

But you should all and complain about that... Tell em which store and what's going on...

buddingtwigs
04-22-2013, 05:15 PM
i had actually said to my friend last summer 'these two need to be sold together'.
When i bought Georgie, she was in a cage with a number of other suns, but they were all young and handled by humans and socialized daily, so it wasn't just that bird-bird bond, without other interactions.

94lt1
04-22-2013, 05:42 PM
Approach them... A bird that's been here that long could be sold as an adoption.. And often for half the price... So if you know of someone who wants him... You could approach them...

94lt1
04-22-2013, 05:56 PM
Call 18885836044 option 1 and complain.. You need the store address and info on the bird.. Call and complain.. Something will get done...

buddingtwigs
04-22-2013, 06:12 PM
Ok, sounds good.

buddingtwigs
04-22-2013, 08:59 PM
Ok, i called and talked to a Petco manager and she didn't seem to know a lot about birds, but said she would call the store manager and find out what is happening with this bird, gave me a case number and said that a general manager would call me back within a couple days. I was slightly discouraged when she said "is feather pulling just a normal behavior for these birds?" i said "only when they are extremely stressed or sick, typically". I'll keep trying......so if anyone knows of anyone who would like to have this little guy, send them my way!

buddingtwigs
04-22-2013, 09:05 PM
I already got a call back! They remembered me from all my visits to Mango and said they have a 2 PM vet appt for him tomorrow, with my avian vet actually. They are pulling him off the floor and going to take care of him!

Wendy K.
04-22-2013, 09:08 PM
I already got a call back! They remembered me from all my visits to Mango and said they have a 2 PM vet appt for him tomorrow, with my avian vet actually. They are pulling him off the floor and going to take care of him!

:thankyou: SO very much for doing this, Patti!! GREAT update!!!!

And than you BRANDON, for throwing all this out!!!!

Kalidasa
05-17-2013, 12:11 PM
You're stronger than me, I probably would have bought him on the spot seeing him so traumatized. I hope he finds a good, patient human.
I just avoid the birds in any pet store/supply, it just always makes me so angry when I see some of the conditions.

ACEPHONECHIC
05-17-2013, 12:22 PM
Please do check that they keep their word and remove him. It made me so sad when I read it yes I would have had to find the means to have him, I hate to hear of anything unhappy especially something as intellegent as a parrot. They really must have been bonded and to loose your mate how horrible. I hope and pray someone rehomes him and quick, then perhaps the plucking will not get too bad. I have rescued several birds that I felt they were speaking to me and needed me to rehome them. Some were special needs and involved lots of work but I don't regret any of it. They are gave back so much love.
I applaud all you have done well done.

94lt1
05-17-2013, 02:34 PM
:thankyou: SO very much for doing this, Patti!! GREAT update!!!!

And than you BRANDON, for throwing all this out!!!!

I just saw this... :) no problem... That's why my wife went to work for them... To help the poor birds because nobody there knows anything about birds.... I honestly think they should stop selling them...

But my wife supplied the info.. I just passed it along... One more feathered friend that will hopefully go on to be loved as much as we all love ours. :thumbup::D

buddingtwigs
05-17-2013, 03:55 PM
I agree.....it would be better if these kinds of places simply didn't carry live animals for sale, but......there are some stores better than others, more knowledgeable, etc. And i realized that i must not have updated this thread on this forum---I had checked and Mango was not in the glass enclosure (a cockatiel moved in though) and the vet was seeing him again for a follow up because someone wanted to take him home!! :)