PDA

View Full Version : Meet Boomer

ShellyBorg
02-09-2014, 08:04 PM
I had said I was done adding to the flock, well Boomer came up. He belongs to a friend of mine whose life had gotten very busy. I went to check on him as he was a chest plucker before she got him. What I found broke my heart. He has plucked just about all of his body and has one tattered little tail feather left. She has a small cow dog that has decided that bouncing off the cage was great sport and well between that and poor diet he is so much worse. I talked to the room mate and texted her and got permission to remove him and bring him home. I am not sure for how long, I am going to be talking to her about long term. He so needs a steady home where he knows what is going on and gets more company.

As he was vet checked before going to her home and it was a only parrot home, I am not too worried about quarantining him. At this point I feel it will do more harm than good. Issues I have to work on right now. his cage came apart in the move. All I have is a vary small travel cage (wire dog crate style, powder coated) He did have a large play pen so until I can swing a new cage he will be in the small cage for sleeping and when I have to leave and the rest of the time on the play pen. I also need to order a sock buddy for him. He is so naked and my house is not the warmest! Taking him in at this time is kind of a hardship as I really have no money, but he was not really planned on. He also needs lots of toys. I will be hitting the dollar store as soon as my check gets here and getting him lots of shred ables.

As for him, he does not seem to be a screamer. Will let me pet his head through the bars and once with the door open. He will take food from my fingers once in awhile. He has only talked with a couple small noises. He does have a huge vocabulary that I am sure will come out once he gets his bearings around here. Huge cage aggression , to be held in the other home they forced him out and then he would let them pick him up. I will not be forcing him. I will be working on stick training with a clicker and food to get him in and out of his cage and to pen daily, that is unless I can work out how to put them side by side in my house.

So my work is cut out for me. I will be taking advantage of clicker training him to step up the others training as well. They do seem to like to compete!

These were taken in his old home before I pulled him out to take him home.

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks])
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks])

Debra
02-09-2014, 08:13 PM
Feathers or not, he is one beautiful grey. Poor guy had absolutely no toys in his cage and to add that dog's behavior on top of that, there's no wonder he plucked. I know with you as his foster mom/mom he will blossom -- even if he never lets any feathers grow in. Bless you for taking him in. If I were in a position to help you out with toys and such, believe me I would.

ShellyBorg
02-09-2014, 08:24 PM
We will get it all worked out. :) I am half thinking the old cage coming apart was a good thing. The joints had deep rust, I am surprised it did not happen when the dog hit it! Right now he is really watching everything and seeing how everyone likes to be held and petted. He is really taking it in. The best thing is he is not being cowed by the highly impressive display Paris is doing right now to show of how big she is. He is even mimicking her stretches and wing spreads!

Honesty
02-09-2014, 08:32 PM
Thank you so much for taking him in Shelly. The poor little soul must have been terrified having a dog bouncing off his cage :th_shocking:

I am sure with you dedication, he will thrive :)

I am with Debra, even without feathers he is adorable :)

Pinkbirdy
02-09-2014, 08:56 PM
WOW! I cant wait to see your progression with him . Even if he continues to be a plucker. Im sure he will learn its ok to be a bird with you ! Welcome Boomer

Anne & Gang
02-09-2014, 09:26 PM
thank you for taking him into your home!!

ShellyBorg
02-09-2014, 09:36 PM
One upset Grey and a crushed finger later, I have him in a sock sweater.

Not sure how long this one will last, he is busy ripping it to shreds, but at least he is not plucking him self.

BTW I do NOT recommend doing this by yourself!

spiritbird
02-09-2014, 09:40 PM
Hopefully he will get over all the stress now that he is with you. May take a while but with a calm, enriching environment it will work. Boomer must be very frighted of dogs now.

ShellyBorg
02-09-2014, 09:45 PM
Boomer must be very frighted of dogs now.

I have two dogs myself and so far he is watching them but not acting to scared. then again the dogs have not even looked in his way.

Maddy
02-09-2014, 10:26 PM
Thank you for taking him! He is adorable! :th_heart:

PlaxMacaws
02-10-2014, 12:57 AM
Aww, the poor guy :(. Great going on giving him the attention he deserves!

Pinkbirdy
02-10-2014, 03:11 AM
I had several birds that came that didn't play with toys . My Zon ,2 Toos and Eclectus. . Besides their hanging toys .What they really love is newspaper and cardboard . I have people at work bring me newspaper. I save all boxes at home even cereal and oatmeal boxes [everything] I put news paper balled up or tucked in between the bars on the top sides and bottom of the cage . Same with tucking in the boxes [on the sides and bottom]. Its a HUGE mess [but everyones busy and happy] .Its the first thing they go for after they get their cages clean. My Grey likes strung whiffle balls . My Rb2 [the one that plucked ] the only thing she was interested in was pinecones rolled in treats.I had a farmer give me a ton of dried corn [on the cob ] . I think its called indian corn. They loved ripping through that. Just suggesting cheap toy ideas :)

Turquoise
02-10-2014, 10:32 AM
A[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] welcome to the flock Boomer!! You are a super sweet & cute guy!! :th_hug8:

He looks adorable in his sweater and I am sure it was a major struggle to get it on since he's never been used to one or being handled much. Hope Boomer starts to settle down and finds out not all homes are the same. There are ones who love cuties like him.:goodjob:

Debra
02-10-2014, 03:22 PM
How does he like his sweater now that he's had it on for a bit? He looks mighty spiffy in it.

ShellyBorg
02-10-2014, 10:05 PM
He had it on for all of 3 hours and I had to remove it due to being too dangerous. A email and a payment later to the owner of [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] and I had the proper information to pick up the right sock and make a good one that will not "string out" as shreaded. I will post the pic of the new sweater as soon as I get it on.

ShellyBorg
02-11-2014, 12:31 AM
OK Sweater number 2. Not sure how long it will last, I really hope in another sock or two he slows down. 3 pairs of socks cost $14!!!!:th_omg:

Any one that sews. If I cut polar fleece on the bias and make a tube that would work like the socks, do you think that would work?

ShellyBorg
02-11-2014, 04:36 PM
Well sweater lasted the whole night! I had played with his old cage last night until I had it up and safe. I changed out some perches and then washed and took apart most of his toys. I pulled what spares I had out and revamped and made a couple new ones. Now he has a toy in front of his beak where ever he is, but still has room in the back to hang and flap up side down. The amazing news is he took it all in stride and started playing right away! I will have to order new toy parts ASAP! (Looking at other cages I need to do toy revamps for most!)

Here is a major turn around! He has been cage aggressive for his whole life. he had to be out of his cage before he would step up. When you asked him to he would lunge and bite from the cage. Yesterday I spent time working around him and everytime he lunged I would not say a word just turn my hand fast so he hit the back of it. I never made a noise and would not back away when he did it. As the day went on he did it less and less realizing I was not forcing him to do anything and he was not scaring me away. This morning he stepped up out of the travel cage (sleep cage for now) and I put him in his big cage. (was so happy he did this but figured it was because the travel cage was still new to him. ) so anyway I am walking around and see that he is in front of the cage watching me . I open the door and talk to him then ask if he wants to step up. He half hearted lunged then picked up his foot to step up!!! We sat and talked and as soon as he started to act like he was uncomfortable I put him back with a treat. I really hope he will keep doing this.

kendrafitz
02-12-2014, 01:30 AM
Wow, what awesome progress!!!

ShellyBorg
02-19-2014, 01:48 AM
:th_heart: Here he is in all of his fuzzy butt glory!

You can also see what he did to his wings the first couple days here. :( I know he would do it but but still, it hurts to see he got worse even if he is getting better.

BTW I am holding to home made toys out of the way so we could get the shot. :D

Pinkbirdy
02-19-2014, 02:37 AM
Thanks for the smirk on my face Boomer :) [nice pose]

Honesty
02-19-2014, 08:13 AM
He is just sooo cute Shelly :)

Debra
02-19-2014, 11:07 AM
Plucker or not, he sure is cute!

PlaxMacaws
02-19-2014, 07:04 PM
He has an expression on his face as if to say, "yeah I have a fuzzy butt... you wanna make something of it?"

Maddy
02-19-2014, 07:32 PM
OMG he has the cutest fluffy butt EVER!

Honesty
02-20-2014, 01:22 PM
I think his fuzzy butt just adds to his cuteness :)

Debra
02-20-2014, 02:51 PM
I agree!

ShellyBorg
02-20-2014, 03:33 PM
I have heard Boomer talk in the past but he has not said a word here at my house. I am more than understanding that after a rehome it can take up to a year before they will feel comfortable to talk. Well last night in my bed time rituals with the birds I go from cage to cage and say goodnight to each how ever the like to do it. This can range from slow binks with Opal to full out monkey tickles for Paris as she hangs upside down until she just drops into my arms on her back. Well late night Boomer sounds off with "Give Boomer a Kiss!" LOL Well as I do not trust my lips to him yet he got a long head scratch and whispered I love yous. Then this morning passing out bites of my banana. Boomer says "Good Morning Boomer!" and then whistled "Charge" LOL It looks like he is really warming up!

PlaxMacaws
02-20-2014, 03:39 PM
Those are wonderful indicators that he's settling in and feeling secure with you, Shelly! I'm so glad to hear it :D

Honesty
02-20-2014, 04:51 PM
This is fantastic news Shelly :) As Tony has said, he must be feeling very secure with you. I am really pleased for you!

kendrafitz
02-20-2014, 11:49 PM
Yayyyy! How awesome for you both!!!!

Mare
02-21-2014, 12:18 AM
Oh, Shelly! I'm just catching up and Boomer is such a lucky one to have found you! Sounds like he's starting to settle in :)

jules
02-22-2014, 11:10 PM
hello boomer, you are a handsome chap :th_heart:

his little sweater suits him and in his colour too. i'm so glad you got him out of that awful place. they didn't deserve him. boomer will be much better off with you :)