PDA

View Full Version : Our handicapped tiel..Lord Maxwell Studmuffin ..his story- warning long.

Anne & Gang
02-08-2014, 08:17 PM
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

We brought him to the vet..amazingly enough the same vet the pet store used. The vet was surprised to see him still alive! He remembered the little guy & was not surprised that the pet store had not separated him. Unfortunately, the vet had reported this pet store but the main thing here seems to be as long as the birds have food & water..that kind of crap seems totally acceptable. The vet put him on 10 days of antibiotics to clear up any infections he might have from the peck marks..said he was about 6 months old (had been in that pet store for months!!) one foot paralyzed and the other not usable..He has no real toes..they are lumps and he cannot walk on his claws at all..he walks on his heels. The vet said his wings were very malformed & he doubted the little guy would ever fly. Otherwise he got a clean bill of health. Well we thought Maxwell's days wou ld be limited to the cage tops (we brought him out of the cage every morning & put him in at night)..He spotted our big girl tiel, Princess Mitch. We got her from the humane society in Dec 2009 - a 133 gram beautiful pearl girlie. She also seemed to like him...

Well it was love at first sight..Then he started to sing..we were astonished..how loud & wonderful his songs...Then one day Princess Mitch flew over to the fridge..and Lord Maxwell followed..We both burst into tears..He could fly!!!! At first it was pretty shaky & he used to skid to stop but he got more & more used to it..so every flat top in our apartment became his territory. & the love between Princess Mitch & him grew. They were always together. It was very heart warming. We thought there was no way on earth he could ever mate with her...they were up on the bookcase one day & he was doing his beak rapping, heart wings, singing. He managed to lever himself over onto a rock that my hubby keeps up there for a display..and she crouched down..THEY MATED..my goodness once he figured it out there was no stopping him. We used to sit & cheer him on. We got false eggs & subbed. After the first batch I flooded the nest (just a paper towel) & Mitchie never laid another egg. Maxwell became Lord Maxwell Studmuffin. Unfortunately, in August this year, Mitchie suddenly died. She was eggbound..she showed no signs of laying an egg and seemed complately healthy. I was devasted as was Lord Maxwell. He cried for her & looked everywhere for at least a month. He still looks for her but has calmed down. He is friends with our other tiel Samantha but she is NOT interested in him as a friend with benefits. He is a happy little VERY LOUD little sweetheart...and we love this little handicapped man with all our hearts. I will never regret paying the ransom to free him from that terrible place he was in. Her is a pic in which you can see his bad feet very well.

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks])

Honesty
02-08-2014, 08:42 PM
Anne, what a beautiful story! Lord Maxwell had such a bad start to his life and you saved him :) It doesn't sound like his disability bothers him too much though?

:thanks4sharingthumbthis with us. Lord Maxwell is beautiful!

plax
02-08-2014, 09:33 PM
That's such a touching story, Anne. The conditions in many pet stores infuriate me. I'm happy you got Lord Maxwell out of there and that you've enriched his life so successfully :). The passing of Princess Mitch is such a sad thing... poor Maxwell :(.

Thanks so much for sharing!

spiritbird
02-08-2014, 10:37 PM
Nice to have such a supportive spouse. His cute name seems to fit him well. It is so sad how some pet stores do not care. That is not the case here where I work as a nutritional consultant. Have you ever been back to that store to see how the other birds are doing?

coltfire
02-08-2014, 11:47 PM
What a great story with a even better ending.i could not handle a bird shop like that. I would have to do something about it. Thanks for sharing

Anne & Gang
02-09-2014, 12:30 PM
Nice to have such a supportive spouse. His cute name seems to fit him well. It is so sad how some pet stores do not care. That is not the case here where I work as a nutritional consultant. Have you ever been back to that store to see how the other birds are doing?
We reported them(did no good) We later saw them on the local news as being the first pet store in Mississauga to only adopt rescue dogs etc dogs out and not sell puppies from mills...I called the tv station and explained about the horrid bird conditions and the station did not care one hoot...made me so mad. and no, we have never been back to that pet store and never will.

Turquoise
02-17-2014, 06:32 AM
Oh what a beautiful story and rescue of your sweet Tiel!! That is so awesome how he is able to fly and have a very fulfilling life with you. Lord Maxwell is gorgeous and looks so happy in the photo. I love stories like this where a fiddie in need finds just the right person in the nick of time. :th_hug8:

So sorry to hear Lord Maxwell's sweetheart Princess Mitch passed. I am sure he is still grieving and wonders why she had to leave. At least he had a chance to fall in love and be a proud hubby to her even if for only a short time in his sweet life. :th_heart:

kendrafitz
02-17-2014, 01:00 PM
I am not sure how I missed this. What a heartwarming story. Thank you so much for sharing it and for saving Lord Maxwell Studmuffin!!!