PDA

View Full Version : Fate had other plans

HisAngel
02-03-2014, 02:23 PM
Well, I had chosen a cockatiel baby from a small breeder who was set to be ready for me to take home in a few weeks, then suddenly the whole clutch died. :( I did not feel comfy going back, as the breeder who I thought seemed sweet and knowledgeable had no idea what happened. So, I resigned myself to waiting a bit and then looking again. A friend who knew I was looking for a pet bird sent me a link to an ad. It was for an 8 year old male goffins named Bug. Against my better judgement (I had NO plans on owning a Too anytime soon, maybe in the future with some experience under my belt but not now..) I replied to it.

After 4 days of constant chatting with his current Mum, we both decided that Bug had to be mine. He is a happy go lucky fellow whose family has just split due to divorce and now is caged 21-22 hours per day. He is used to being out with his people all day long as his Mom used to stay at home. He is very loved, and she is quite sad to have to rehome him, but Ive promised her time with him whenever she misses him. She lives a couple of hours away, but if she travels our way, our home will be open to her for visits with him.

He is handling his new life with her pretty well until now, no screaming or plucking, healthy appetite and no attitude issues rising from being caged for such long periods. At this point she just knows he deserves better. I'm a stay at home Mom, with no plans on going back to work full time. She told me Im the first person of literally hundreds shes spoken to who she feels will give him a happy forever home. We'll be his third and final home, she bought him 3 years ago when he was 5.

Ive been furiously reading up on Too's and will be welcoming him home in a couple weeks. We've got some work going on in the house and I dont want to further stress him if he is doing ok there. It will also give me some time to get lots of reading in, and to pick her brain about him. He is apparently very outgoing, not at all fussy about who he makes friends with. He is confident and comfortable around kids and other animals, and by the sounds of it is a pretty great bird all around. Im expecting some bumps initially as we both sort out how our relationship is going to be, but I am really looking forward. I am hoping because he is older, and fairly established in his temperament that he will stay the sweet clowny fellow his Mom describes him as.

Pray for me.:th_hehe::th_LOL::th_heart:

Debra
02-03-2014, 02:51 PM
Sounds like Bug has found his new forever home. It's great of you to open your house for his current mom to come visit when she gets to missing him too much. I know that will mean a lot to her.

Mare
02-03-2014, 09:29 PM
Well, HisAngel, may God bless you and I will pray! :). I have a female Goffin's, going on 10yrs. old. She came to us as a rehome from CL. We love her dearly but she loves my hubby more. These are beautiful, very active, curious birds (mine is) and I believe like most birds might be,,territorial when she is out of her cage at the same time that myself and hubby are in the same room. She's fine with me alone but if he is there, she wants to move me out, and believe me, she gets what she wants! She will destroy a shoe in seconds, rip up a book or tv changer in milliseconds. My Sassy Goffins cannot be left unattended for even 10 secs. They need a whole lot of things to rip up while in their cage, also.

I commend you for taking on a challenge, my cockatiel is far less of a challenge. I live with a Goffin's, an umbrella cockatoo and a cockatiel. If you have what it takes, your experience can be so rewarding :)

Good luck with Bug, it sounds like he is more of a lady's man so you will probably work things out for the best!

Honesty
02-03-2014, 09:51 PM
It sounds like you are thrilled with Bug and it sounds like he has come to a great home. Congrats :)

You have done a lovely thing in opening your home to his previous owner.

:needpics:. We look forward to seeing lots of him very soon :)

spiritbird
02-03-2014, 10:26 PM
I am so happy for you taking in Bug and also joining the forum. You will find lots of friendly advice should you be in need. Birds have a way of almost reading our minds so relax and let yourself enjoy Bug.

Pinkbirdy
02-04-2014, 01:20 AM
I would love to see a video of him [maybe Bug will have the redeeming qualities I need to see in a Goffin :th_biggrin:] Love the name !!! I have one named "Pearl" AKA "Satan" [just kidding ] . Im sure hes sweet .Can he say anything?

HisAngel
02-04-2014, 02:59 PM
Well, I am hoping to get up to visit him before taking him home soon. Ive seen lots of pics, and going by those he LOVESSSSS to cuddle. All flipped over onto his back asking for tummy rubs. lol He doesnt say much from what Ive been told 'Hello' and 'uh oh' being the most popular. He is more of a dancer apparently, loves to have music on and dance away. He is a country music fan, with Sugarland being his fave, their song 'stuck like glue' never fails to make him bounce around and sing 'uh oh' along with the lyrics. LOL Cant wait to meet him. They live 1.5 hours away, and so that makes it complicated trying to get a visit in when schedules are coinciding. But hopefully we'll get there shortly. I will be sure to post LOTS of videos and pictures once we get him settled in here at home. Ive already started picking up some toy supplies, and saving up some paper towel rolls, which I am told her adores to shred up and toss about.

Any of you provide your birds with receiving blankets? Apparently Bug is used to having a couple in his cage and likes to cuddle with them and pop holes through them. Is this something that is safe? Im not sure if I am being over cautious but I am worried about him ingesting the fabric..... I have some left from when my boys were little, but I dont know if its a safe thing to leave in his cage with him. Im also concerned with toes getting caught up in any threads or holes? Over thinking?

Mare
02-04-2014, 03:38 PM
This is great news! Bug sounds adorable and I hope he makes a wonderful companion for you. Can't wait to see photos!

When I first met Sassy, she was in her previous owners lap, bundled under a pink, fluffy receiving blanket. I was told that she loves her blanky and it came home with us, she DOES love it! :). Since then, I've bought a few more, just to have around but I haven't put any in her cage. She has munched a little on them with no ill effects. My thoughts, on you putting them in the cage, keep a careful eye on him and if the blanket gets too shredded, remove it.

Maddy
02-04-2014, 10:19 PM
That's awesome! I'm so happy for you!

I can't wait to see pictures of Bug! :th_biggrin:

Pinkbirdy
02-05-2014, 01:18 AM
My Goffin besides the regular toys . Loves to shred newspaper and cardboard boxes at the bottom of his cage . Its a huge mess [I wish id taken a picture to show you ] Just cleaned it up :) . You want to keep these guys really busy ..

HisAngel
02-05-2014, 03:43 PM
I've started setting aside papertowel rolls because apparently he loooove to shred'em up! hehe Ive also found a lovely lady on Etsy who makes a bunch of different sized toys and things, Ill order a few from her and I also have plans to make a bunch of my own for him once I get an idea of what he likes. He enjoys puzzle type toys and so Ill find a few of those for him too... Oh man, Im just ITCHING to get ahold of him and smother him in love. LOL