PDA

View Full Version : The worst thing thats happend with a bird.

Pinkbirdy
02-02-2014, 07:18 PM
I can only dare talk about this now.Jennifer my Rb2 .I felt so lucky to have her . Being new to birds [then] No one wanted you to get a cockatoo. My relationship with her at first was good. Then [when my Macaw Harlow got sick] she became jealous . She started plucking herself . I tried everything I knew to help her [except a collar ] We even tried her on a antidepressant. [it didn't work. She was a depressed bird that didn't play anymore. she eventually started mutilating herself . . She eventually chewed herself to much and bled out and died. It was horrible.Steve on here mentioned once that if a RB2 loses their mate [they kill themselves]. I don't knowif she considered me her mate. I don't want to discourage 2 ownership at all from this story [my others are fine ]. I wish I had tried the collar [I do miss her]. My username "Pinkbirdy" is a little tribute to her .

Pinkbirdy
02-02-2014, 07:20 PM
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks])

Mare
02-02-2014, 11:05 PM
Aww..Terri, I'm sorry. Cockatoos do seem to choose a favorite mate and it's sad that we humans have to be the recipient, in most cases. I'm not familiar enough with other species to say they are not the same as cockatoos. From what I read, though, cockatoos have more of a bond with their person than most other birds. Mine have definitely built some strong ones.

kendrafitz
02-02-2014, 11:28 PM
Terri, I am so sorry you lost Jennifer. I have no cockatoo experience so I can't add anything. But I am very touched that your user name is a tribute to her. She was beautiful.

plax
02-03-2014, 01:31 AM
Terri, I'm truly sorry for your loss. Your story about your original Pinkbirdy is heartwrenching :(

Turquoise
02-03-2014, 01:36 AM
I am sorry to hear about how your sweet Jennifer died and why. I understand completely your needing time to heal yourself before talking about it.:th_hug8:

I knew she died and I had a feeling it was too hard for you to talk about since I never saw anything about it in your posts about your birds. We never know why some things happen and of course we beat ourselves up and blame ourselves for not doing enough or the right thing. The collar might have saved her from the mutilation and death, but as soon as you took it off she could have started again. The likelihood of her continuing was more than a possibility. Once they begin it is so hard to get them to stop, not impossible, but so hard.

I have never owned a Cockatoo either, but at any point for who knows the reason why any one of us could face the same thing with our birds. It can happen in a hurry and we wonder what we did to cause it. :(

ShellyBorg
02-03-2014, 01:47 AM
Stories like this make me want to go to the nearest 'too breeder and rattle there teeth out. It has been proven that if a 'too chick is co-raised with the parents that the chicks end up being just as out going and friendly but mentally stable and knowing humans are friends not mates. As this takes so much time on the humans part to make sure they get plenty of human play time this just is not being done for the most part.

Its hard, but it is not your fault. "Toos are so special we are still working out the best way to have a happy mentally sound pet. .

Pinkbirdy
02-03-2014, 01:15 PM
Stories like this make me want to go to the nearest 'too breeder and rattle there teeth out. It has been proven that if a 'too chick is co-raised with the parents that the chicks end up being just as out going and friendly but mentally stable and knowing humans are friends not mates. As this takes so much time on the humans part to make sure they get plenty of human play time this just is not being done for the most part.

Its hard, but it is not your fault. "Toos are so special we are still working out the best way to have a happy mentally sound pet. . Shelly ,I hate to say how responsible I feel for this . I thought the attention she was getting was fine [but obviously something went wrong] . My gut feeling on this was the strong bond that happened when I got Harlow. Maybe you can relate with your "Danny" and then adding Paris. Their are lots of sites and forums of people for this problem [I wish I could have done more] I guess theres even more of a need to do things right by birds for me now.

Minamommy
02-21-2014, 06:09 AM
Terri I am so sorry for your sad loss. Toos are so difficult. She may have started self mutilating anyway. Please don't blame yourself. Everything happens for a reason even though it is so incredibly painful. At the time I truly believe at some point you may know why she was taken from you. You are a fantastic parront never doubt that. Look how well your fids do.

Honesty
02-21-2014, 01:41 PM
I am so sorry for your loss Terri. I certainly is a heartbreaking story :(

Maddy
02-21-2014, 05:41 PM
Oh Teri, that is so heartbreaking! I'm so sorry for your loss of your baby. :th_hug8: