PDA

View Full Version : Cochise~ Hawk-Headed Parrot

keepsmiling
04-21-2013, 07:41 AM
I have always been enthralled by this species, so when one popped up on Kijiji{a sort of craigs list} I was very excited. He also called out help to me in these photos that were posted.
his head was green from the only junky toy in his cage :(

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks])
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks])
So I set about talking with his owner. Not an easy task, the fellow was not pleasant to deal with. When I arrived there...about an hour and a half out of town, and he started taking me towards an outdoor hot shed,my heart sank. There were many birds there, in various stages of neglect. It was very very sad.
So I paid the ransom and took him home.
first few pics at my home..he was terrified
Finally out of qt,I gave him a big cage, and at first he was afraid
continued...

keepsmiling
04-21-2013, 07:48 AM
And then he started slowly enjoying things like new toys
he became friends with Holly
he started eating healthy foods
we became friends
continued...

keepsmiling
04-21-2013, 07:54 AM
It took baby steps to win his trust
he started looking better
he loves my birdy bread
watching Holly he started liking foot toys
continued...

keepsmiling
04-21-2013, 07:59 AM
Every milestone brought tears to my eyes

A fellow I met on another forum came to visit from Australia, and took some cool pics of him

he loves to bathe
continued...

keepsmiling
04-21-2013, 08:11 AM
he loves the wingdow
he does barber some..sometimes more than other times :(
last year he got this cage...in these pics Holly is in it, but she did not like being away from her cage, so I gave it to Cochise and now he loves it

keepsmiling
04-21-2013, 08:23 AM
Videos
Hanging out with Holly-they aren't exactly snuggle buddies, but they watch out for each other intensely
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]
this is what I call the banshee call
bathing!!

gemini_84
04-21-2013, 08:48 AM
he is so beautiful, i have never seen one before.... im in a[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] so glad u took him in and gave him a great home, he looks so happy

Honesty
04-21-2013, 09:01 AM
Wow! Carole you have done a fantastic job with him. He certainly looks happy now and he is absolutely stunning.

keepsmiling
04-21-2013, 09:04 AM
Thank you Amanda and Wendy! Back to bed for me...:th_sleeping:

Wendy K.
04-21-2013, 11:08 AM
What a happy and healthy Cochise!!! I LOVE his cage, the setup, ..... actually, I love everything!

The poor boy was living in a shed??? Some people should really NEVER be allowed to have a bird. :(

The banshee call had me laughing! Almost sound like an alien, lol. He is GORGEOUS!!! And how awesome that he and Holly can hang out together. :D

keepsmiling
04-21-2013, 11:37 AM
Thank you Wendy!:untroubled:

keepsmiling
04-21-2013, 11:39 AM
Oh man..I am a dunce...I just realized there are two Wendys!!:th_ashamed3::th_hehe:

roxynoodle
04-21-2013, 12:47 PM
I'll watch the videos in a bit as my birds are just now waking up :)

Cochise is beautiful and I enjoyed hearing his story. Thank you for giving him a wonderful home!

keepsmiling
04-21-2013, 01:33 PM
Thanks Audrey! :good-morning-signboHugs...off to the bird show!!

Wendy K.
04-21-2013, 01:51 PM
Oh man..I am a dunce...I just realized there are two Wendys!!:th_ashamed3::th_hehe:

:ROFLMAODog:

Have a BLAST at the bird show, Carole. :D

keepsmiling
04-21-2013, 08:55 PM
We did have a good time, thanks! Just got a few things. Some spirulina, some alfafa cubes I thought Elliot might like on occasion as a treat, some food for Kismet, a few crunchable toys for Cochise, and a big links toy for Holly{she loves those and hers is all beat up} The neatest thing I got were two beautiful small handpainted birds from Guatamala. I asked the lady to put links on them so they could be hung, maybe from a keychain, and she only charged me $2. for both of them. It was nice to finally have someone to go to a show with. She was a very sweet young lady.

CrazyBirdLady
04-28-2013, 05:26 AM
It was very nice to hear about Cochise. I knew Yuna's story, but not his. He is stunning!

keepsmiling
04-28-2013, 08:04 AM
Thank you Jaime!:th_greet13:

jtbirds
05-09-2013, 01:51 AM
So wanna send her my way:p? Hawk heads are my dream bird other then the blue throated macaw I have and then a black palm which I don't, they all just have this beauty to them I don't find in other parrots I don't know why we all have our favorites right0.0?

Very beautiful thanks for sharing!

keepsmiling
05-09-2013, 08:07 AM
Thank you Justin!:th_biggrin:

Kalidasa
05-09-2013, 08:13 AM
His coloring is amazing, what a cutie! So glad you rescued him from that hell. I love "rags to riches" happy ending stories about parrots (all animals, really).:woohoo-dancing-bana

keepsmiling
05-09-2013, 08:27 AM
Thank you Chris.:th_hug8: Cochise and Yuna, Kismet and Elfe, all came from bad situations. So many people are uneducated, or just plain mean sadly. I try to give them all that I can, and make their life happy and filled with lots of love.:th_heart:

Rescued
06-10-2013, 07:31 PM
I am still amazed that people can treat these more rare birds so poorly, I just think, wow, they are hard to find and very expensive, you would think that these parrots would be better cared for. I can't fathom poor treatment at all but it is even more confusing with the rare and very expensive guys. I adopted my B and G from a dog and cat rescue that had no business taking a bird like her, my other guys came second hand and were from good re-homing situations. I have fostered some birds that were clearly badly treated while others were "just" neglected. All together it just doesn't make sense to treat these birds so badly.

Blancaej
06-10-2013, 08:05 PM
Elizabeth - no it doesn't make sense. I think in terms of rare birds. Owners that treat them badly probably didn't do any research about the breed or bird care anyway. So my feeling is they probably don't even know what they have! It amazes me how people buy birds and do no research before hand. Then they end up with a problem that most of the time could have been prevented! Then there are those of us that re-home them and give them a much better life. Unfortunately not all birds that are in bad situations are so lucky. :(

Rescued
06-10-2013, 08:58 PM
I know that at least half of the birds that are sold die prematurely and on top of that many more are mistreated and poorly cared for. It makes me sick, I give my kids the best I can, but I also know that my own are just some of the lucky few. I am glad to see others who care and make a difference.

spiritbird
06-10-2013, 09:25 PM
He is the most handsome bird on any bird forum. How luck you both are to be together. Do you know anything about the other birds this person has?