PDA

View Full Version : making time for everyone

ShellyBorg
04-21-2013, 02:52 AM
So right now I have a flock of 3 that all want my one on one time. All 3 love head rubs and need to spend time hanging out with me, not just on a play pen in the same room. I was wondering how do you guys who have even more birds make sure every one gets the time they need?

gemini_84
04-21-2013, 02:59 AM
i guess im lucky in the fact that my 3 all get along and are caged together so are all out at the same time. when i take them out/ put them in their cage they gat kisses, greetings and prince and oxy get scratches and cuddles... bruno doesnt like being touched, but gives the sweetest kisses. Im home all most all day everyday, during the day they roam free through the house. They come to me when they want attention etc... ill play games with them on the stand or cages. I guess mine are really easy, i dont know how i would manage with multiple species that didnt get along. My guys dont like being separated, so training sessions are a group effort.

94lt1
04-21-2013, 03:06 AM
Well, you just do... Get into a routine and that's really it.. Until another gets added... Like we just rescued a green cheek.. So now we have a gw macaw, yn amazon, Sun conure, 2 budgies, and the green cheek...

She's gonna be tough.. But she is gonna need a lot of work.. Poor baby.. Worth it though... They all are

roxynoodle
04-21-2013, 01:23 PM
I have the same situation and can't imagine adding another bird unless it's more hands off and independent. Either that or I'd have to cut down on each of their one on one time. Or win the lottery so I could hire a housekeeper and gardener :)

Wendy K.
04-21-2013, 01:34 PM
I have 4, and that is my absolute limit! I have quite a routine in place, where they all spend a whole lot of time outside their cages, AND I have time set aside where I snuggle and cuddle with each individual bird. There also is playtime and preen time, lol. If I come to think about it, my day is pretty packed with pet chores, but I wouldnt' want it any other way. :D

Antoinette
04-21-2013, 01:34 PM
My situation is a bit different :th_pinklol2:

I only have one bird Mishka.

My problems is with the human race interfering with my time with Mishka.
No-one is allowed to phone me between 7pm and 8pm unless it's an emergency.
Everyone in our complex is aware I train him at that time, and all oblige.

My suggestion try taking them all out at once, training them to wait their turn
OR
Alternatively each at different times

:chuncky:

roxynoodle
04-21-2013, 02:10 PM
That's what I do. They all come out from 10am to 1pm and then again from 4pm to 7pm. During those 2 times I give each 1 hour of one on one time. But, still that's 6 hours a day I'm cuddling birdies.

Mare
04-21-2013, 10:30 PM
I had a question like this awhile ago. With only two birds, sometimes, there just weren't enough hours in a day! My birds cannot be out at the same time. I would fear for Sassy's life. Thankfully, my husband and Sassy love each other, in one room, while Amigo and I love each other in another. It sucks, for sure, but eventually hubby and I get to love each other in the SAME room!

Animalman2046
04-22-2013, 12:45 AM
I have one bird a crimson bellied conure who is a special needs bird. He requires alot of my time because of his special needs but I would love to get another bird someday soon maybe to keep him company too. I also have 4 dogs, 2 cats, and now my little Ziggy. I am retired and home all the time except to go to the store or the bank. I love my time with my animals and they all get along with the bird. I wouldn't want my life any other way!!!! My animals are my life. Retirement is wonderful because now I can finally spend my time doing the things I love......my animals.

Pinkbirdy
04-22-2013, 02:42 AM
I have mine on a realistic schedule and the thought everyday is I want them Happy. I make time and treat them like little celeberties. Their pretty well behaved [I think they respond well to the schedule] Ive never clicker trained but have done the treat thing.Always willing to try what ever works. You can incorperate them into alot of things in your day. Like one eats breakfast and watches the news ,Harlow eats dinner with us every night [ tons of ways :)]