PDA

View Full Version : Times, they are a changin'

Mare
01-24-2014, 12:58 AM
This winter has definitely been different for us and the bird's bed time hours. I use to close these guys down by four-thirty in winter hours. I'm not sure if it was because cloud cover use to make it more dark at that time, or not? This year, five thirty-ish is more acceptable. Does anyone else put their birds down with the sun?

Maddy
01-24-2014, 01:18 AM
The only bird that has a bedtime is Jester. He goes to bed around 9:00-10:00. My other birds go to bed when I do.

Blancaej
01-24-2014, 01:56 AM
My fids go to bed about 8pm.

9pm now and then.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

kendrafitz
01-24-2014, 02:01 AM
Rosie is usually around 7 - 8. I always wonder if she would be easier to put to bed if I did at sunset, but that could be as early as 4:30 in the winter. The kids get home around 4 and then the action continues downstairs until about 7 or 8. Since Rosie's room is the dining room, I think it may be too much action for her.

Pinkbirdy
01-24-2014, 02:02 AM
The Caiques are very light sensitive . They put themselves to bed when it goes down [and wont get up till it comes up]

Turquoise
01-24-2014, 03:55 AM
Since I'm one of those crazy folks who works at night and has to leave my house by 3:30pm (obviously way too early to cover parrots for bedtime) I started all of mine out on lights directly over their enclosures on timers. And since all of mine except Peta my GGC were under 1 yr old when coming to live with me I started them on a 7:00am (I get home between 7:00-7:30 on work mornings) get up time and a 6:00pm go to bed time. And it was the middle of January when Roscoe & Angel came to live with me, so it was wintertime rules for them. I tried that 1st summer when the sun went down much much later for us~~like 9:00pm, but they are very good kids and are ready to hit the sack around 6:00pm summer & winter and I have left it that way.

And mine are all in the front part of the living room/dining room/kitchen since it is one big L-shaped room. So they go to bed on my off days and nights with the tv being on most nights all night long just 20ft from where they are sleeping. I do cover them on off nights right after the lights go out, but no cover on work nights while I am at work.

So, mine have no real routine except that they know on the 4 work nights they are not covered and the house is quiet. On the 4 off nights they get covered and the house is as noisy all night as it can be at times all day. That's why I always say my birds are the best cause they can get used to my crazy mixed up non scheduled life of~~Anything goes~~and have not had one bit of trouble with it. There is no way I could switch to days where I work even if I was crazy enough to want to. I'd be out of the house by 3:30am (Uggghh!!) and not home til after 7:00pm. On the 4 work days I would be leaving before they got up & coming home after they went to sleep. Not as good of a setup as I have now with taking them out right after I get home from work for 1 1/2hrs while I get their foods ready and again I get them out for 1 1/2hrs while I get ready for work in the afternoon at 2:00pm. We have a good setup with my night work! :) My crazy mixed up Fiddie Fabies~~I Love 'Em!!!!

Debra
01-24-2014, 03:27 PM
We cover the three birds in the living room and turn off the lights in the bird room at 7:30 each night. Starting around 7, Frankie starts in with "Night, night, Frankie" which translates into "cover me I'm ready for bed". We usually head to the bedroom at that time and watch tv until we go to sleep. Since we're up at 4:30 each morning, we usually go to sleep early anyway.

JadeC
01-24-2014, 04:24 PM
The Caiques are very light sensitive . They put themselves to bed when it goes down [and wont get up till it comes up]

This is very true with my caique too. Even if the lights are on, but the sun is down, he'll still act tired and won't really play like he does during the day. I usually put him down around 9 but sometimes he stays up later. It depends on him usually.

coltfire
01-31-2014, 12:59 AM
My eckies now go down when they put them selfs to bed,the budgies get covered around 6/7 and teils by 9.30

Honesty
01-31-2014, 08:23 AM
Codie goes to bed at 9pm. He is a stickler for routine :)

Minamommy
01-31-2014, 01:13 PM
Ok u guys will think I'm weird. Hear me out lol. I knew Mina beaning near the equated needed 12 Hrs of sleep. Well hubby usually keeps me up till 4am SNORRING GRRRR. So Mina's bedtime is 8 or she is a bear, but mommy needs rest to deal with said cockatoo. So she is covered till 11:00-11:15. However I don't think she sleeps well in the night. Frequently about 2-3 in the afternoon she will want to crawl under the covers in bed she will lay on my hand and go to sleep dreaming and everything. I let her sleep for 20 min the get her up. She's a baby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mare
01-31-2014, 04:53 PM
Kim, my cockatoos love their afternoon naps, kinda' mandatory around here because so do I! Seriously, all the birds settle down for at least an hour, sometimes longer, in the afternoon time. I notice that even Amigo, when outside in his tree, will crawl into his hole and just disappear for the afternoon.

ShellyBorg
02-01-2014, 07:30 AM
We have no real schedule. Luck is with me that I have easy going birds who will nap in the day and rock out at night. While not feeling well my guys have been super good and sleeping late and being OK with strange wake ups when I am not feeling well.