PDA

View Full Version : Snow

kendrafitz
01-21-2014, 04:08 PM
I was curious how many are going to be affected by the storm today?

In my neck of the woods we are expected to get up to 12". Yikes!

My daughter is sick so she is bummed she can't go out and play in it. The weather has been so crazy (60 degrees one day 20 the next) that I am keeping my fingers crossed it will stay around long enough for her to enjoy it. :)1878

Honesty
01-21-2014, 04:23 PM
I know there are many places in the USA that have snow at the moment. So far, we have not had any here in the UK this year, but we have had plenty of gales and flooding, which is very unusual for us :(

kendrafitz
01-21-2014, 04:25 PM
Ugh, I would rather snow to gales and flooding. I hope you haven't been too affected by it!!

Honesty
01-21-2014, 04:36 PM
Yes, I think I would prefer snow. The gales have done quite a lot of damage in many parts of the country and many homes are under water :( My house sits very high up, so there is no risk of flooding, but I have lost all my fence, which will all have to be replaced in the spring :(

Your Garden looks very nice Kendra :)

kendrafitz
01-21-2014, 04:42 PM
Oh wow! That is horrible! Those poor people! I'm so sorry you have to replace your fence! I know how costly that can be!

Thanks! We don't have a ton of grass bc of the pool, but the only ones who seem to use the grass as the dogs. They aren't complaining, so it's all good. ;)

spiritbird
01-21-2014, 06:54 PM
Snowing in Maryland all day so far. I tried to clear the bird feeder outside but they keep getting covered. The tiny birds like to come to the windowsill to eat. Sorry about your fencing Wendy.1879

coltfire
01-21-2014, 08:00 PM
so far we have missed the floods this season, by this time every year the property is normally under 4 foot of water, the pool filled with mud and lots of clean up, they are both great pics of the snow, love the shot of your yard Kendra, and Dianne is that your drive way or the street.

Mare
01-21-2014, 08:29 PM
This is what's happening in California :(
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] .com%2F2014%2F01%2Fofficial-ca-experiencing-full-blown-drought-video%2F&h=OAQFwLAsc&enc=AZPTfBmPjBwAg_xaAvVpB2TFXS8q1Qq85Zj2U6O8cLePWb kc1GGkRVGMlKJ3bxeKCV2s26OMNjl22ULINCthzhnn3tspfkPr nDYwwXn-TmTI-iGR5gsND1B-DDXnvIqHzJ60nfQqTPfKhb9obBTsvkKL&s=1

Maddy
01-21-2014, 08:38 PM
No snow here, but it is totally freezing! ):

Kendra, your yard is really pretty!

kendrafitz
01-21-2014, 09:10 PM
Thanks! Finally figured out how to use the snow blower. After 2 hours I come in and my dogs are looking sadly out the back door. Jef usually digs a path for them and he's away. So back out I went, it was worth it. They were smiling and flying around their path like crazy puppies. :)

Doesn't look like it's going to stop until early tomorrow morning.

kendrafitz
01-21-2014, 09:12 PM
Mare, the link goes to Facebook but says the page isn't found.

Honesty
01-21-2014, 09:35 PM
Wow! Kendra! You have had a lot more snow since the last pic you posted?

kendrafitz
01-21-2014, 09:42 PM
Yes, it is coming down pretty quickly. Actually the dogs path is covered already!

Honesty
01-21-2014, 09:53 PM
If it carries on like that, you will be snowed in by the morning :th_shocking:

Mare
01-21-2014, 10:20 PM
Kendra, I don't know how to bring the news view up :(. We are in a major drought right now, the Governor is calling it a state of emergency. I wear shorts during the day, there have been no clouds to protect us from the sun in many weeks. It's truly been a bizarre winter! Normally, weather will hit the west coast and take a week to slowly move across the country, nope, not this year! Anyways, I hope you all aren't suffering too much! :)

kendrafitz
01-21-2014, 10:39 PM
It sounds like you have it much worse Mare! As annoying as snow can be, the kids love it. I hope you get rain soon! The weather is definitely wacky lately.

Blancaej
01-21-2014, 11:29 PM
You are getting all our snow down there Kendra. Really cold up here though. School is closed tomorrow because wind chills are estimated to be 30 to 40 below tonight & tomorrow morning!

I will pray to the rain gods for ya Mare! ;)

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

spiritbird
01-22-2014, 12:28 AM
That is a stone, dirt road that curves around my apartment building. If it is not frozen there is lots of mud. My car gets so dirty. Now we have almost a foot of snow on the ground an still coming. This apt. building is on 35 acres of land. They rent out cottages also. It is called Gramercy Mansion and has extensive history. They have many of weddings here and it is also a B&B. Here is a photo of the mansion I took in the snow 1882 The tennents get free use of the pool and gardens. I take lots of photos there and it is so peaceful.

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

kendrafitz
01-22-2014, 12:39 AM
Dianne, it's beautiful! It must be so nice to live there!!

Blanca, OMG! That is insane. I was just complaining about the wind chill here to my husband. While he is having a beer on the patio with his work buddies in Florida, we are -12 w/the wind chill. I can't even imagine -30 or -40! Stay bundled up and warm!!!

spiritbird
01-22-2014, 01:16 AM
I hope my posting does not look too disjointed as I was answering Steve's question and got carried away a bit.

Praying the CA drought does not harm those famous grapes/wines.

Birdboy
01-22-2014, 03:15 AM
Australia...... Hot as ever

Turquoise
01-22-2014, 04:24 AM
I just read all this, then checked what my phone says about 5 he weather in the next couple days. We are in the mid 40s right now. Frigid temps are expected by Wed night & Thursday morning with frozen percipitation. Here in Texas that probably won't amount to much, but we will get that cold Canadian wind blowing up our fanny! It has been in the 60s & 70 s during the day and down in the 30s at n8ght, expected to be in the teens with this cold front.

We are like Mare and have been in a drought for several years now. All the area lakes are drying up and towns are scrambling to seek new water avenues. The lake behind my home is becoming a large stock tank now and it is not a tiny lake. It supplies two small towns and several small communities. Funny thing tho is my treated water does not come from there. The water company mine is supplied from gets it from a reservoir that is about 100 miles away. I don't think that lake is doing any better tho. It has been dry all over Texas for a long time. It will take a flood I don't even want to think about to fill this lake behind me up now.

Kendra, your yard is so pristine with the glistening snow. I do love snow, but hate ice. Hope your daughter gets to have her day in the snow soon. :)

Diane, the place you live by is very pretty. You are lucky to be able to enjoy such beauty without the upkeep and expense.

Mare, your link worked for me, but I'm not at home on my bad internet or my Firefox which gives me trouble with some videos. I'm at work on my phone.

kendrafitz
01-22-2014, 03:04 PM
Oh wow, I didn't realize you had a drought as well, De'Andrea. I hope you get lots and lots of rain soon!!

Debra
01-22-2014, 03:30 PM
In my part of Texas, they haven't said anything about the drought since summer. We've gotten enough rain here to last a while. I even still have mud in my driveway! This front is expected to be through here Thursday night/Friday morning. We have a slight chance of wintry precipitation, but the majority of that will be south/southwest of me. To say I'm thankful for that is an understatement! They are calling for sleet/snow mixture. Not something I want to drive in. There are roads on my route where I couldn't get my bus down if there were ice on the road. One of them is a dead end road with a bunch of hills and no room to tow the bus out. The road is only wide enough for my bus to go down -- if someone were going the other way, one of us would have to leave the road to let the other pass.

I'm not looking forward to the teen temps we are expecting on Friday morning. I haven't heard what the wind chills are supposed to be.

Mare
01-22-2014, 03:44 PM
De'Andrea, I didn't realize you were in a drought, either! It's kind of scary to think about. One of my nieces, who lives close by, had her firefighter hubby called in at 4:30 this morning! This is not suppose to be fire season!:th_eek:

kendrafitz
01-22-2014, 04:22 PM
Debra - is the state prepared to handle icy roads? I think of Texas as warm, so I wonder if they salt the roads, etc. Does wintry weather happen very often?

Debra
01-22-2014, 05:46 PM
In my area they sand the roads. At least that's what it looks like. No we don't get wintry weather that often. In fact, we made it to 70 F the other day. In January!