PDA

View Full Version : Cockatoo Watercolor Painting

Maddy
01-20-2014, 05:10 AM
I painted this Umbrella Cockatoo in watercolor tonight. (I used Mare's gorgeous Amigo as a model) It took about 3 hours.
To be honest, there are very few things I like about this. I accidentally painted over his tail, those branches on the right are HORRIBLE, the feet are bad, and white is very hard to detail in watercolor. However, I love the head, crest, and beak proportions, the sky, and the left side of the tree. I'm probably going to re paint this in acrylic, because I just adored the reference picture and feel it should be turned into a nice painting.

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks])

The gorgeous reference picture-

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] tml)

Debra
01-20-2014, 02:14 PM
That's good Maddy! When I looked at the painting before I read what you wrote, I immediately thought "that's Amigo"! I was pleased to find out I was right. You captured his expression perfectly.

Maddy
01-20-2014, 05:39 PM
Thanks, Debra! :)

Turquoise
01-22-2014, 04:52 AM
Very pretty and does look like Amigo. I will like to see it in acrylic when you do it. Acrylic is so much easier to blend and detail when painting. :) I'm not a fan of water colors, have never had good results with it. I do love oils for the ability to go back and change things for a more extended period since they take so long to dry. But acrylic gives more vibrance without having to put additives as with oils.

Maddy
01-22-2014, 05:30 AM
Thank you! :) Yeah, acrylic is so much easier to detail. I've never painted with oils before, but I'd like to try! The only thing I don't like about it is that the paint is SO pricey!

Honesty
01-22-2014, 08:52 AM
Another lovely painting Maddy :)

Maddy
01-22-2014, 08:55 AM
Thanks Wendy!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks])

Mare
01-24-2014, 05:18 AM
Sweet watercolor, Maddy! I, also, knew it was Amigo at first glance! He's very photogenic and I find throughout time, he loves to have his pic taken, the cheese ball that he is! If you paint him again, please show!

Maddy
01-24-2014, 06:11 AM
Thank you, Mare! And thank you once again for allowing me to use your gorgeous photo!

Yes, I will of course post pictures if I re paint it. :)