PDA

View Full Version : My sweet cockatoos!

Mare
01-20-2014, 02:12 AM
I'm so proud of my monsters!:th_hug8::goodjob: We had family come stay the night, last night, they drove seven hours to get here, (on their way to somewhere else), the birds were down for the night. We all visited for awhile, before going to sleep ourselves for the night, and the fam was looking forward to meeting Amigo and Sassy. They had heard many stories but had never witnessed them in person.

Morning comes and some of the fam is staying in an adjoining room to the birds. Sassy starts her little morning sounds as I'm starting coffee and the house is still quiet, so far. I open up the birds. This means I go into their room, turn on the lights, open their curtains, let them eat breakfast and begin the day. We had six new peeps here that had never met the cockatoos, never seen a cockatoo, in real life, and have never experienced, a cockatoo, heehee!

It was really funny watching everyone come into the bird room, one or two at a time, to see these birds. My birds are impressive, to me, but I've never thought about how impressive they would be to others. My husband brought Sassy out to visit while I cut Amigo loose outside. The girls and I sat out on the deck and Amigo comes to visit. Our birds were their most well behaved and made such a good impression :). I think they have allllmost redeemed themselves for past transgressions! :th_biggrin: Almost..

Everyone was freaked because of all the horror stories they've heard from my husband and son, (none of it true, of course), so all were fearful. Amigo was quite the gentleman and I think he actually got a few phone numbers!

Pinkbirdy
01-20-2014, 02:17 AM
Were they excited for the company ? Did they show off?

Mare
01-20-2014, 02:31 AM
They like company, Terri :). My husbands brother really caught Sassy's attention and I think hubby was kinda jealous! Amigo knows when there is stuff going on, period. If it's in his territory, he has to be in on the action. He was cute, the girls fell in love so yes, there was a bit of charming going on!

spiritbird
01-20-2014, 02:35 AM
You have such nice birdie events in your home. Love reading them.

Blancaej
01-20-2014, 02:43 AM
What a great visit Mare! I love watching people meet my birds, too. They are a normal part of life for us, but to others it's a whole new & exciting experience!

It's makes you proud to have well behaved fids. Great job Sassy & Amigo! ;)

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Mare
01-20-2014, 02:46 AM
Hmmm..not sure that ALL birdie events are so nice, Dianne :). Today was a good one!

Mare
01-20-2014, 02:52 AM
Yes, Blanca, it is intriguing, for me anyways, to watch others meet my birds for the first time,,especially when they've never been exposed to birds and have no clue what to expect :). I loved it!

coltfire
01-20-2014, 03:20 AM
Glad all went well with your visitors. They can be charming when they want, can't they. Mare when will we get the next part of aday in the life of Amigo.

JadeC
01-20-2014, 03:28 AM
A[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] that sounds so good!!! People are always amazed to see a parrot it seems. I haven't even had Meiko a year yet and I'm already tired of the attention. Lol it's fun sometimes, but when you're trying to do something like errands, it's tiring to stop to let everyone look at your bird lol

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Honesty
01-20-2014, 11:27 AM
It sounds like you had a great time with your visitors Mare. It always amazes me how people that have never owned a Parrot are so enthralled by them when they come to visit. I know when I have visitors, I have a job getting a conversation out of them, as they spend their time watching and talking to Codie :)

I cannot say that Codie is well behaved when I visitors though, as this would not be true! He absolutely hates lots of people in my house and he makes no bones about letting them know that they are invading his territory! What he does is squawk continuously and will lunge at anyone who passes his cage :th_eek:

Rita
01-20-2014, 12:42 PM
Hello Mare,

I loved this story. Yes, people who have never met Cockatoos are often a bit afraid, but also curious.
And when they finally do meret them they are amazed and thrilled.
And that makes us as the owners of well behaved Cockatoo(s) very proud and happy!
Thanks for sharing your story!

Greetings from the Netherlands,
Rita

Debra
01-20-2014, 01:50 PM
What a great story! I can just see everyone going into the bird room to get a peek at them. I bet that was as much fun to witness as seeing the birds interact with them outside of the bird room.

We don't get many visitors here, but when my brother comes over Frankie gets real excited. My brother loves to go up to Frankie's cage and play with him. Frankie loves that too.

kendrafitz
01-20-2014, 02:04 PM
How great is that! Your birds have such great big personalities that I am sure your company was entertained for hours! I love to see people interact with parrots. It is really cool bc very often you see childlike wonder on adults faces!

Rosie is generally shy when we have company. The exception was this past New Years Eve. We had 6 families here. So probably 20+ people. She wanted to be on me, which is fine. However she has this ridiculously annoying habit of sticking her tongue in my ear. She only does this when I am having a conversation to distract me. Kind of like a little kid tugging at your pants, but way more annoying. So it annoys me and freaks everyone else out. When I finally had enough and put her to bed she screamed on and off. Very unlike her, and very naughty. ;) I guess she just wanted me all to herself for New Years!

spiritbird
01-20-2014, 02:27 PM
Didn't you write a story of Amigo's life? Would love to read it again please.

Maddy
01-20-2014, 05:56 PM
That's awesome! It sounds like your family enjoyed your babies!

The only company we ever get at our house is my best friend and her family, and they've been here so many times that my birds just act as if they were family. Jester likes her parents, and Peatree likes my bestie, but only at a distance. :th_biggrin: Typical Peatree.

Mare
01-21-2014, 12:31 AM
We've had friends come and go through the house, over the years, but for some reason the birds were on extra good behavior that day!
Steve and Dianne, I will post some more of "Life with Mi Amigo" soon. The problem is, I seem to have this ongoing saga of a story and when does it end? How will it end? It won't, not as long as I'm alive :). And he, of coarse!

coltfire
01-21-2014, 06:14 AM
so there for its the never ending story, and why should it stop, just every 400 pages it becomes the next book.

Mare
01-21-2014, 07:40 PM
Yep! Everyday is an adventure! :th_biggrin:

Honesty
01-21-2014, 08:09 PM
Hey Mare! What happened to the story? We were just getting into it :th_wink:

Minamommy
03-15-2014, 08:07 PM
Mare wonderful visit! So happy for you and your fids. I know exactly how you feel when they act well and everyone thinks your baby's are awesome. I bet you were glowing.

Here is kind of a laugh for everyone, kind of off tract. At Walmart there is a greeter that has white hair that stands up JUST like a crest. Every time my daughter and I go in there and the lady says "hi" I say to my daughter "Mina could do her job. She says hi too." So we go the other day and the lady is gone and I say to my daughter omg what if she died Mina could work here with me and this would be the most popular walmart people would flock to see this bird greeting them. ( we were joking of course). Today though I saw us sitting there and Mina saying "hi" as she is either flying at them to bite them in the face or who knows bite me or well she may be an angel and everyone will think this is the best bird in the world I want one too at which point I have to start talking them down. That last one is a true story. Ok rambled enough. Mare in my head the whole transition from friends at your house to the walmart thing made sense lol. 😊

Mare
03-15-2014, 10:14 PM
Thanks, Kim :) I could totally see what you were saying, the lady with the cockatoo style hairdo, may have owned one! I've heard that sometimes people resemble their pets. When my 'toos are good, it's memorable and makes me smile :) when they are bad..I tend to block it from my mind because it is REALLY bad!