PDA

View Full Version : Australia's Wildlife

tonkatiel
01-19-2014, 02:12 AM
Not sure if this is the right place to post this but I went to a local Wildlife Park the other day and thought I'd share some photos :)
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]
I was really unimpressed with their birds - the corella had a huge aviary but he was by himself and the branch he's sitting on was the only place to perch in the whole thing :/ (a very big branch but it was close to the ground)...
The sulphur crested too was very friendly, and he got to share his aviary with the major mitchell - but again there was very little in there. 1 branch, 1 swing and the shelf they're sitting on with the destroyed boxes attached...
I'm very tempted to volunteer at this park simply so that I can try and encourage some sort of enrichment opportunities for the birds...

tonkatiel
01-19-2014, 02:22 AM
Emus...
Kangaroos and Wallabies...

tonkatiel
01-19-2014, 02:25 AM

tonkatiel
01-19-2014, 02:29 AM
Dingoes
A wombat trying to sleep...

tonkatiel
01-19-2014, 02:35 AM
Some 'non-natives'...
And a wild galah who didn't want to miss out on having his photo taken ;)

Maddy
01-19-2014, 04:34 AM
All of the animals are gorgeous, but I am in love with the Emu. :th_heart:

Honesty
01-19-2014, 11:25 AM
I love the emu too :) That would be great if you could become a volunteer there Emma :)

tonkatiel
01-19-2014, 12:04 PM
Haha emus actually scare me :/ they had a map of the park, and on there it showed where the 'friendly emus' were - there is no such thing as a friendly emu lol! They'll happily approach you for food - but there is nothing friendly about it! No matter whether you wish to give them food or not, they'll just take it ;)

Rita
01-19-2014, 12:13 PM
Thank you for sharing these photo's that you took at the local Wildlife Park.
It's almost always great to see cockatoo-photo's! But we do not want to see them in poor conditions.
Where is "local" for you Tonkatiel?
Yes I agree with you. These inteligent cockatoos nee compagny and a lot more enrichment-tools to be happy.
If you go there to volunteer, I hope you can reach your goal to encourage them to get more enrichment oportunities. Keep us informed please!

Greetings from the Netherlands,
Rita

Rita
01-19-2014, 12:16 PM
Friendly Emus! LOL!

tonkatiel
01-19-2014, 12:18 PM
I'm on a farm near a small country town along the coast at the very bottom of mainland Australia :) the wildlife park is only a 10 minute drive away but I only found out it existed a few weeks ago so this was the first time I've been there lol...

I'm seriously considering volunteering, not only to help the birds but because I really think I'd enjoy it :) I've been looking at studying 'Captive Animal Services' and to do that I'd need work placement, which volunteering at a wildlife park would be classed as :)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Rita
01-19-2014, 12:20 PM
Ohhhhh a wild Galah. You're in Australia Tonkatiel.
I would love to have wild Galahs here in the Netherlands, but I guess I need to keep on dreaming.
Thanks for sharing all these Wildlife Park photo's Tonkatiel!

Rita

Rita
01-19-2014, 12:24 PM
Thank you for telling me where you're living Tonkatiel.
Great idea, choosing that study and also volunteering at that Wildlife Park nearby so you might have a a work placement when you do that study!
It's so important to follow your heart when it comes to importants choices as choosing your study and your profession.
I wish I had followed my heart when I was at your age, but I didn't. Now I do regret it very very very much!
Succes! Keep us informed!

Rita

Debra
01-19-2014, 01:46 PM
Emma those are great photos! I almost got to go through a similar place for Christmas, but had car troubles and couldn't make the 3 hour drive. I so hope to do this one day though!

coltfire
01-20-2014, 12:09 AM
Emma great shots what park was it i dont think i read which one you went to.

tonkatiel
01-20-2014, 12:18 AM
Its the great ocean road wildlife park Steve - verrrry small and not too impressive compared to some ;) but was a great day out with my family anyway :)

Maddy
01-20-2014, 12:49 AM
Haha emus actually scare me :/ they had a map of the park, and on there it showed where the 'friendly emus' were - there is no such thing as a friendly emu lol! They'll happily approach you for food - but there is nothing friendly about it! No matter whether you wish to give them food or not, they'll just take it ;)

Whaaaaat..... but they are so CUTE!

Turquoise
01-25-2014, 06:37 AM
Great photos Emma. Too bad they don't do a better job with the parrots and maake it much more natural. Hope you can get the work there and show them just how they should be displayed to keep them as happy as the visitors!

We did have two wildlife parks here in Texas I went through many years ago back in the 1990s. That's why I don't know if either one is still active as they are at least 200 miles from me. They had Ostriches running loose in one and as you drove up to where they were they would rush to your car and you better not have your windows down. They were used to visitors having cups of food for them which we did. They would literally grab the cup right out of your hand and the other ostriches would be grabbing for whatever they could get. Looking at my hand I can still feel that darn ostrich pinching the devil out of my hand & they bite hard!! :(

Blancaej
01-25-2014, 01:30 PM
Nice thread! I love all the photos!

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2