PDA

View Full Version : My finned friends

keepsmiling
04-20-2013, 05:51 PM
This is my 90 gallon aquarium with oranda, ranchu, and a butterfly goldfish. I also have some Kuhli loaches which are brookstream loaches, and two sewellia lineolata, which are hillstream loaches.
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks])
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks])

keepsmiling
04-20-2013, 05:56 PM
The first pics are a while back, when I first got the plants. After washing them a few times, they lost their stiff straight appearance, and now they look like this

aliray
04-20-2013, 06:05 PM
I love goldfish. I like the way you have the tank set up. Do you have trouble keeping the water cool or do they do fine with the house temps down here. also what do you use for water. tap or bottled water? Aren't loaches fun to watch

keepsmiling
04-20-2013, 06:07 PM
I have a thing about critters with hearts on them. This is Lovie, she is all white, with a yellow cap, and a heart on the front.:love_heart:
Garbo
Spott
Rhett
Tora

keepsmiling
04-20-2013, 06:08 PM
Spott and Tora

This is a sewellia lineolata, if you have never seen one...they are very cool

aliray
04-20-2013, 06:11 PM
She also has pretty red lips to match her eyes. They are beautiful and goldfish are really smart and can be taught tricks.

keepsmiling
04-20-2013, 06:13 PM
Videos!

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Wendy K.
04-20-2013, 06:13 PM
STUNNING aquarium. I definitely should NOT be looking at these pictures for too long, as I will be OH SO tempted to start a fish tank again.

I LOVE each and every one of your gilly friends, but the sewellia lineolata blows them all out of the water. WOW!!!!! :D

aliray
04-20-2013, 06:19 PM
I have never seen that Hillstream loach what a neat fish. Thanks for sharing the pics. How big does that fish grow?

Honesty
04-20-2013, 06:21 PM
Lovely aquarium Carole:) I love the way you have it set out with the plants.

keepsmiling
04-20-2013, 06:25 PM
Here is the newest, as I have lost a couple last year... :( He will arrive probably next week
He is a blue oranda..I am going to call him Moby

I love goldfish. I like the way you have the tank set up. Do you have trouble keeping the water cool or do they do fine with the house temps down here. also what do you use for water. tap or bottled water? Aren't loaches fun to watchWe do keep our home on the cool side, so they do fine in the summer. In the winter on occasion I have to fire up a heater. This tank is also set up different than moist. It was our sw reef, so it has a sump of 29 gallons, and an external pump. the action of the water over the overflow keeps it cooler, and I switched out the lighting for T-5's, since in the beginning I was trying plants. Which they mostly ate..lol...even though I had the correct kind, they still ripped them up for fun. Then I decided to find some nice artificials, and I found these at ADG in Texas. For water I use my RO/DI but since we no longer have the sw tank, I use the RO side only. The loaches are so cool. There are supposed to be 8 kuhlis, but I only ever see a few. The sewellia are a male female pair.

She also has pretty red lips to match her eyes. They are beautiful and goldfish are really smart and can be taught tricks.The one with the red lips is Garbo, hence the name.Yes, the trick goldfish guy is from around here!

STUNNING aquarium. I definitely should NOT be looking at these pictures for too long, as I will be OH SO tempted to start a fish tank again.

I LOVE each and every one of your gilly friends, but the sewellia lineolata blows them all out of the water. WOW!!!!! :DThanks so much. As I get older it is getting more difficult to care for, but I do love it so.

keepsmiling
04-20-2013, 06:30 PM
I have never seen that Hillstream loach what a neat fish. Thanks for sharing the pics. How big does that fish grow? That's as big as they get, just about 2". Not for the faint of heart though. If you read up on them, most people make a species only tank with lots of powerheads to simulate their habitat. Supposedly they will not live in an ordinary tank. But I knew my tank was highly oxygenated because of the overflow. That's how I get away with keeping them. They are thriving! I have always wanted them since discovering them on Frank's site.

Lovely aquarium Carole:) I love the way you have it set out with the plants.
Thank you so much. It is one of my pride and joys. Though it is work.

aliray
04-20-2013, 06:48 PM
Hey Wendy don"t you already have goldfish in your rain barrel? Carole I have kept fish on and off since I was a child, Started with fancy guppies, Then eventually I raised fancy guppies for one of my local pet stores. Which is also how I ended up with a baby caimen named Jolly Charlie because he always looked like he was smiling untill he out grew his tank and went back to the petstore. Then I got into tropicals and oddball type fish. like knife fish, ropefish, oscars, leaffish, and many others. The last fish I had were bettas each in their own 1 gallon tanks I had 8. I think at this point I will settle for looking at your pics.

Wendy K.
04-20-2013, 06:53 PM
Yes, Alison, I have 10 "feeder" goldfish in there, LOL. And
boy are they thriving and growing like mad!

Carole, either Moby will be a GREAT beer pong partner, or terrific at table
tennis.

keepsmiling
04-20-2013, 06:55 PM
Carole I have kept fish on and off since I was a child, Started with fancy guppies, Then eventually I raised fancy guppies for one of my local pet stores. Which is also how I ended up with a baby caimen named Jolly Charlie because he always looked like he was smiling untill he out grew his tank and went back to the petstore. Then I got into tropicals and oddball type fish. like knife fish, ropefish, oscars, leaffish, and many others. The last fish I had were bettas each in their own 1 gallon tanks I had 8. I think at this point I will settle for looking at your pics.

LOL..you are like me! My favorite oddballs are the loaches, and some teentsy fish that look like fw pipefish called indostomus crocodillus, and indostomus paradoxus. I also love the fw gobies in the Stiphodon family. And I am partial to bettas and also to another anabantoid called scarlet badis. I also love rare gouramis, rare rainbows, and rare pencilfish like the coral reds.... When I have time I will post some of my previous tanks while I was into those and planted tanks.

keepsmiling
04-20-2013, 06:58 PM
tennis.
:th_pinklol2:

keepsmiling
04-20-2013, 07:21 PM
tennis.
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks])I think they do that to show the size...lol..:th_embarassed::th_embarassed:

roxynoodle
04-20-2013, 10:02 PM
Beautiful aquarium and fish!

I haven't kept fish for a long time now but had large tanks. One was also fancy goldfish, one was common tropical fish and one was Oscars.

keepsmiling
04-20-2013, 10:28 PM
Cool Audrey, and thank you. I have always admired Oscars, never had one.

Wendy K.
04-20-2013, 10:34 PM
I think they do that to show the size...lol..

Yeah, I kind of figured that, LOL. But the ping pong balls reminded me of Forest Gump and my boys playing beer pong. :D

Here is a quick pic of my (ex) reef tank:

keepsmiling
04-20-2013, 10:45 PM
Fabulous!! We did have a reef in this tank, we had moved it here when we bought the house. We had issues with mojanoes, got rid of them with a raccoon butterfly, but then it was difficult to get it back to what it once was.eta: I also got acro eating flatworms :( It also cost a fortune in electric and maintenance. It took me over a year to convince Troy I could put together a nice fw tank, that would be WAY cheaper. I miss keeping the reef sometimes though. I can get some pics..brb.

keepsmiling
04-20-2013, 10:49 PM
This was our original 75

and this is the tank the goldfish are in now, when we first moved here in 06'

Wendy K.
04-20-2013, 10:50 PM
Fabulous!! We did have a reef in this tank, we had moved it here when we bought the house. We had issues with mojanoes, got rid of them with a raccoon butterfly, but then it was difficult to get it back to what it once was. It also cost a fortune in electric and maintenance. It took me over a year to convince Troy I could put together a nice fw tank, that would be WAY cheaper. I miss keeping the reef sometimes though. I can get some pics..brb.

THAT was the reason I parted with it. :( And I never even used MH, I ran my system solely on T5s. :( But all the pumps, plus 8X80Watts of T5s still ran up the electric bill significantly. I was sick and tired of hearing my DH complain...so I parted with the entire system and ....got NIKO instead, m B&G. :th_toofunny:

keepsmiling
04-20-2013, 10:54 PM
Love it!:ROFLMAODog:

Wendy K.
04-20-2013, 10:58 PM
OMG your reef was GORGEOUS, Carole!!!! I, too, started off with a 75 gallon. My DH told me I "couldn't do a reef", meaning he thought I was not able to do it. WELLLLL....I have a thing for being told what I can and can't do, so I proved him wrong.

Let me see if I still have pics of my 75...

...so from there I upgraded to the 180 gallon....and our electric bill went ballistic. :(

roxynoodle
04-20-2013, 10:58 PM
Both of those reef tanks were amazing!

I'd rather have a mac, too, though, Wendy, lol!

keepsmiling
04-21-2013, 12:31 AM
Wow..you had some gorgeous corals..love the pink birdsnest!
here are some favorite shots

keepsmiling
04-21-2013, 12:36 AM

refugium

I also had this little nano for years...
one of my favorite critters

keepsmiling
04-21-2013, 12:45 AM
I got carried away and started doing all sorts of freshwater planted tanks...I had tanks everywhere!:th_oops2:

keepsmiling
04-21-2013, 12:56 AM

keepsmiling
04-21-2013, 01:01 AM

keepsmiling
04-21-2013, 01:07 AM
I literally started growing things...in everything!...lol

keepsmiling
04-21-2013, 01:17 AM
Well as it happens...tanks do not stay beautiful without constant maintenance, and it was way to hot here to keep that little pond going. My pond became this..

and here is where I fell in love with goldfish all over again

buddingtwigs
04-21-2013, 01:23 AM
So beautiful. I love your photos! I only ever had a 20 gallon freshwater tank, and had very good luck with my fish (they lived a very long time), but my tank was never 'pretty', just the fish were pretty. I always loved a beautiful aquarium. Hard not to be drawn to them. It's like artwork that lives and moves, and very calming.

keepsmiling
04-21-2013, 01:47 AM
Thank you! You are so right, I do look at it as living art.:rugby:

roxynoodle
04-21-2013, 01:49 AM
You two are making me want one again :) I would love a reef tank but there's just no way *sigh*

ShellyBorg
04-21-2013, 04:17 AM
It is so nice to see a healthy set up for goldfish. Thank you.

keepsmiling
04-21-2013, 06:15 AM
Thank you Shelly!

Wendy K.
04-21-2013, 11:24 AM
Oh Carole you had me going here....HAHAHAHAHA.... :th_laughing6: Your comment that you were growing things out of EVERYTHING nearly made me flip my chair! But GOSH you did a BEAUTIFUL job with each and every one of them. Beautiful is an understatement. GORGEOUS!!! True eye candy!!! And I SO love your Golfish setup!!!!

keepsmiling
04-21-2013, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the kind words Wendy!:friendly_wink:

Antoinette
04-21-2013, 12:14 PM
Beautiful set up
Creates such a lovely calming effect.
The pic's are beautiful
:very_drunk:

keepsmiling
04-21-2013, 01:30 PM
Thank you Antoinette! :)

aliray
04-21-2013, 02:47 PM
Those reef tanks you both had were magnificent And that is the only way I can describe them. WOW AND SUPER WOW. I am glad I am not the only one who gets carried away sometimes with hobbies. Having tanks all over I can relate to but the biggest tank I ever had was a 29 gal

ShellyBorg
04-21-2013, 04:05 PM
I just gave up all my fish tanks. At one time I was running 10! After my divorce I knew I had to cut back and between the tanks and the birds it had to be the tanks. Just my reef tank was running $100 a month in power and supplys. Maybe one day I will have another and if I do it will be a 75 gal gold fish tank much like yours. I love the black moon sand.

keepsmiling
04-21-2013, 09:10 PM
Those reef tanks you both had were magnificent And that is the only way I can describe them. WOW AND SUPER WOW. I am glad I am not the only one who gets carried away sometimes with hobbies. Having tanks all over I can relate to but the biggest tank I ever had was a 29 galThank you Alison. Having lots of tanks is so much work. I did get ridiculously carried away. I just got collectoritis with the plants, and then I kept falling in love with small unusual fish, and you cannot keep them all together so more tanks. Then I started liking the fw shrimp. The thing about the whole planted tank thing is it is a knack to keep them lush and beautiful, and keep algae away. A balance if you will. Much harder than sw, and that's not easy done right. I hate to say it, but guys seem to excel in that end of the hobby. They most definitely concentrate more on the plants than the fish, and I am the opposite. To really keep them nice it is best to have CO2, and the fish I liked couldn't handle it. I have a whole CO2 set up just sitting in my storage room.:shame:

I just gave up all my fish tanks. At one time I was running 10! After my divorce I knew I had to cut back and between the tanks and the birds it had to be the tanks. Just my reef tank was running $100 a month in power and supplys. Maybe one day I will have another and if I do it will be a 75 gal gold fish tank much like yours. I love the black moon sand.Thank you Shelly. Yes, same here.. the electric bill was literally cut in half by eliminating the sw tank.

Blackhawk007
04-24-2013, 05:20 PM
You all have some great looking tanks!

My story is a bit long and its been rough. I started with a 125 tank in Texas. I then had to move it all to Chicago when I got out of the Army. Everything went fine and I upgraded to a 300 since I was already moving everything. Then I got a divorce and the ex involved a bit of bleach and I lost about 85% of the livestock and coral. I was going to sell the tank and then I met Jenna. With her influence I started my 300 back up with what I had left.

All was good......until.... one night I heard water spraying. I went and looked and it looked like a pipe burst on a submarine. The tank had a crack and was losing water fast.

I was ably to get a bunch of travel bins out and get the livestock and coral in there before any died. Luckily I had enough heaters and power-heads on hand to keep the flow going in them for the week it took to locate another tank.

Some friends found a 210 tank in a high-rise down town. They said if we can get it out of there then its free. So that night I had a 210 in my place that I had to drill and prep for saltwater.

This was a few months ago, but it's progressing well.

The light I made myself to get the colors I wanted and it uses about 1/4 the electricity of the twelve t-5 bulbs I was using.

aliray
04-24-2013, 05:30 PM
I loved the picture of you in the tank. My first thought was what a great looking fish... Sorry couldn't resist. Your current setup looks really pretty. Good job

keepsmiling
04-24-2013, 06:00 PM
Awesome! So sorry about your troubles,but the new tank looks good!

Blackhawk007
04-24-2013, 06:03 PM
Awesome! So sorry about your troubles,but the new tank looks good!

I just had a sad feeling like we just took over your thread. Sorry about that. I guess its contagious when you see such good looking tanks that it makes us all want to share.

CrazyBirdLady
04-24-2013, 06:53 PM
Wow, I envy your skills at keeping a gorgeous aquarium. And I love that sewellia lineolata. So cute! Is he/she an algae eater? I know nothing about fish but tend to be drawn to those.

keepsmiling
04-24-2013, 09:11 PM
I just had a sad feeling like we just took over your thread. Sorry about that. I guess its contagious when you see such good looking tanks that it makes us all want to share.I never worry about such things unless people are arguing!!:thanks4sharingthumb

Wow, I envy your skills at keeping a gorgeous aquarium. And I love that sewellia lineolata. So cute! Is he/she an algae eater? I know nothing about fish but tend to be drawn to those.Thanks Jaime. Yes, they do eat algae, but a little protein as well.:sneakiness:

Blackhawk007
04-24-2013, 09:20 PM
I never worry about such things unless people are arguing!!:thanks4sharingthumb

And this would be the exact reason why this forum was such a great idea! Thanks!

I have never gotten into the fresh water side of things. I personally never saw a tank as colorful as the ones that your posting. Its amazing to see what people are capable of when they put in the effort.

keepsmiling
04-25-2013, 07:35 AM
I do miss my sw tank, and sometimes I think it would be fun to have another, even if it were small. I just have a very full plate. So I will enjoy yours, and others.:lemo: