PDA

View Full Version : We have smart squirrels

Debra
01-15-2014, 03:39 PM
I have two squirrel feeders. So far, they've kept the squirrels out of the bird seed. On one feeder, you screw an ear of corn on it and they eat the corn off the cob. The other feeder you put loose corn kernels inside it. It's got a plastic front that you can pull out by opening the hinged lid. Well, first the squirrels discovered the hinged lid and started climbing in the feeder. BUT, now they've figured out how to pull that plastic front off! We have to put it back on almost daily now. As aggravating as this is, we are so proud of our fat little squirrels.

Between them and the grackles we are going through a lot of seed/corn. It's a good thing the corn is so cheap.

Mare
01-15-2014, 10:17 PM
Squirrels are super smart, gregarious animals! I picked a baby ground squirrel up, from the road, that had obviously lost it's mom to the road and was toddling around outside it's nest, looking for comfort. This was many years ago. He ended up being the most amazing creature! When I walked into the house and called to him, he would come running up my leg and wrap around neck, oh my, you got me missing my sweet one!

Turquoise
01-25-2014, 05:43 AM
Debra I have come to the conclusion you must live in "The Twilight Zone" All your critters have super human powers!!:th_hehe:

I know squirrels are very smart and very determined to get the food no matter how or where it is hiding from them. :) We never had a squirrel as a pet, but when I was small we had a prairie dog that my Mom and older siblings caught as a baby. They make really cute pets and I can remember it standing up on its hind legs giving the "Ahh Choo" welcome home sound when we would come home. :)

Blancaej
01-25-2014, 01:23 PM
You could write a fun book with all the bird feeder stories! Lol!

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Debra
01-25-2014, 02:23 PM
I think I figured out how they are getting that plastic cover off. They've gotten so fat that when they climb in the feeder the plastic just pops out. That's the only thing I can come up with. I definitely have some "healthy" squirrels running around here. lol