PDA

View Full Version : parrotlet

ShellyBorg
04-20-2013, 05:12 PM
I have always wanted one of these spunky little birds. I will not buy from a pet store and I did not know of any breeders in the area. Just last week at the local bird club meeting one of the members said she had started to breed them and would have some hand raised for sale soon. I talk to her and she said she had one female, a blue, who was not sold from the first hatch left. But no one had handled her in months and they did not feel right selling her as tame. She knew that I work with problem children and offered her to me for $65. I jumped at the chance and will be traveling to pick her up next week!

keepsmiling
04-20-2013, 05:21 PM
Oohh...good luck with that. A parrotlet is nothing like a problem child...more of a pitbull or a tiger in a peanut sized body. Seriously they are mini-amazons.
I wish you all the best, and welcome to the forum.:th_welcome2:

mistywaterwoman
04-20-2013, 05:31 PM
Wow, congrats!! I'll look forward to pics. I've always wanted a blue parrotlet, too, but I hear they takes lots of work to KEEP tame, much less to tame one from scratch. ;)

ShellyBorg
04-24-2013, 04:55 AM
Just found out I get my new fid Friday!

keepsmiling
04-24-2013, 09:38 AM
Congrats!:th_dance4:

Sandy
04-25-2013, 07:37 PM
Congrats,
I've always been very curious about these little monsters LOL
Can't wait to hear some stories.

ShellyBorg
04-26-2013, 01:46 AM
I cant wait. I will have to post a pic of the cage I have set up....its toy heavy!

CrazyBirdLady
04-26-2013, 01:51 AM
Congratulations! My parrotlet girl is incredibly sweet and cuddly. She was nippy for a while but with a little training and lots if handling she rarely bites. But those tiny beaks hurt!!

SharonC
04-26-2013, 10:38 AM
Congrats! I'd love to hear how it goes.
I'm helping a friend choose a first bird. She had an opportunity to get a parrotlet, and I discouraged her...she doesn't want biting, and she has no bird experience.

ShellyBorg
04-26-2013, 03:14 PM
Congrats! I'd love to hear how it goes.
I'm helping a friend choose a first bird. She had an opportunity to get a parrotlet, and I discouraged her...she doesn't want biting, and she has no bird experience.

Don't over look a hand fed teil for your friend. They are one of my favorite beginner/easier birds and can be so sweet. I am looking for one for my son now. With smaller cage needs and softer (them most) voices they are a great gate way drug....:th_embarassed:whoops parrot I meant parrot!!!!!!:th_nervous1:

aliray
04-26-2013, 03:41 PM
Oh congrats on your new fid. Can't wait to see pics and a pic of the cage. That is exciting and blue is my favorite color for a bird. They are such cute little birds

ShellyBorg
04-28-2013, 03:40 AM
I got her!!!!! She is not a bitter and has NO fear! I will post pictures here in awhile. She is all snuggled up under a toy that looked like a good sleep buddy/hiding toy I had put up near her top perch. I was holding her for awhile earlier and while she was scared after a bit she fell asleep in my hand. I am so goofy happy right now.

ShellyBorg
04-28-2013, 05:02 AM
Frst is the ride home. She is fearless! We ended up going to a art fair and had to take her with us in her little travel cage. people just loved her!

Then the next is her sleeping under a toy I had put in for her to hide behind if she was scared. :love_heart:

Shade
04-28-2013, 01:31 PM
What a cutie, congrats! :)