PDA

View Full Version : Elfe~ A Black Capped Conure

keepsmiling
04-20-2013, 04:44 PM
Elfe showed up in one of my oak trees late last year. She spent three days going up and down it, by way of some vines growing up the back. Judy{greycloud} suggested I put out a cage with food. So I did put a crate out, and hung it near the fence. On the third day she went in for food. I again tried to approach but this time she did not move. I placed an ad, and quickly got a response by e-mail from a woman who claimed her bf threw Elfe out for biting her son.:numbness: They cannot live far, as Elfe was clipped when she arrived. So Elfe became a part of our flock. Her wings have grown in but she still struggles understanding exactly how to fly. But we are working on that. She is very sweet and cute, and makes cute little sounds. She loves her big cage and all of her toys. She can be out with Yuna, my female Hawk-headed parrot, but I do monitor it.

these are some of the first pics...you can see the look on her face-still nervous
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks])
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks])
she was also a little beat up from either being tossed out in the cold, or living in a tree

continued

keepsmiling
04-20-2013, 04:49 PM
It did not take long before she became comfortable...and started smiling... :)

continued

keepsmiling
04-20-2013, 04:53 PM
I have a feeling she did not get many toys before
Of course we got her a full check up with our avian vet...she got a clean bill of health and he thinks she is still young...which makes sense

next-her cage

roxynoodle
04-20-2013, 04:54 PM
Oh my gosh, I just love that second pic!

keepsmiling
04-20-2013, 04:59 PM
This is Elfe's cage
I have a hard time keeping a bird in a cage, so they have to be as big as I can get...:o

she has these cute little red feathers just inside her wings

keepsmiling
04-20-2013, 05:04 PM
Oh my goodness...she just flew from her cage to the playstand!!!!!!:happydance: You go Elfe!!:th_yah:

keepsmiling
04-20-2013, 05:07 PM
Lastly, I was going to post something else funny. It took me four tries to find a snuggly hut she would take to. She decided this one was just right.:th_cheer:

keepsmiling
04-20-2013, 05:08 PM
Oh my gosh, I just love that second pic!Thanks Audrey! :)

aliray
04-20-2013, 05:11 PM
Carole, She sure picked a great yard to land in. I'm sure she thinks she landed in birdy heaven. Beautiful bird

roxynoodle
04-20-2013, 05:11 PM
Her cage is awesome!

And congrats on the flying! Pete hasn't even tried again for months now.

keepsmiling
04-20-2013, 05:16 PM
Carole, She sure picked a great yard to land in. I'm sure she thinks she landed in birdy heaven. Beautiful birdThank you Alison! :)

Her cage is awesome!

And congrats on the flying! Pete hasn't even tried again for months now.Thanks Audrey! :) I think she has a great teacher in Yuna, who flies around at bullet speed. So does Pico for that matter. But in the beginning she would get a little air, but flutter downward. This was the first controlled landing. That is big!!!!:woohoo-dancing-bana

merlinsmom13
04-20-2013, 06:41 PM
Way to go Elfie, you're a big girl now! <3

Wendy K.
04-20-2013, 06:47 PM
It did not take long before she became comfortable...and started smiling... :)

continued

Oh my gosh...those pictures triggered a major tear duct overload. :(
Elfe's story is incredible, and Elfe is THE luckiest bird to have found you!!!!

WOW how she's flourished in your care!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!

<must run for tissues now to wipe the tears and blow the nose>

keepsmiling
04-20-2013, 07:18 PM
Aww..didn't mean to make you cry. Thanks Becky and Wendy! When she finally came in, I thought my DH would be against anymore here, I thought I would just make sure she was well and find her a home{we have a full house, so please dear God do not send anyone else!:hopelessness:} but he likes her a lot, so she has a permanent place in our flock.:cool-new:

keepsmiling
04-22-2013, 04:32 AM
I saw about 6 or so blk capped conures at the bird show yesterday. First time I have ever seen them at a show. I love how they have the black tipped feathers around their neck, like a 16th century Spanish ruffle that men and women wore.:untroubled:

gemini_84
04-22-2013, 05:58 AM
so sad how peolpe can just throw them out like that, its a disgrace. im so glad she landed in your yard. she is very beautiful and wow her cage is huge. you areboth exremely lucky tohave found each other'

keepsmiling
04-22-2013, 06:15 AM
Thank you Amanda!

Honesty
04-22-2013, 07:25 AM
Elfe was so lucky to have found you. He certainly looks happy now. He must think he is in heaven with such a lovely big Cage:)

keepsmiling
04-26-2013, 08:30 AM
Thanks Wendy! Here is more Elfe. She is so cute learning to fly!

Mirlito
05-17-2013, 07:45 PM
Oh my god, he is so cute!

JadeC
12-26-2013, 06:19 AM
Awww