PDA

View Full Version : Introducing Miss Merlin

roxynoodle
04-20-2013, 02:57 PM
Merlin is my 22 year old female CAG I adopted 16 months ago. She has a unique attribute in that she is nearly blind.

She can learn to imitate any sound she likes I think. I had always read about the talking ability and hadn't realized they were master mimics period. Merlin isn't much of a talker but can imitate what I estimate to be about 75 sounds. Yes, she loves high pitched and annoying ones like the fire alarm, "code blue" (medical monitoring equipment that she learned because I watch House), an ambulance, dog squeaky toys, whistles. She also loves doing bodily function sounds and can do 7 or 8 different farts. She will also make a disgusting belch sound right in my face and then do a deep belly laugh (ha ha ha! Ho ho ho!) She also expects me to imitate them all back and it's rarely under an hour before she tires of that game And she tries to teach me, so if I don't do a good enough imitation she will keep doing the same sound over and over until I either meet her approval or she gives up on me for the time being. We also seem to have developed our own nonsensical language that we speak to each other. I think that developed from my imitation back of the squeaky car brakes, lol! It just kept developing into it's own Merlin/Audrey language that if others heard us speaking would question my mental status

She isn't terribly fond of other birds and is intensely jealous of other Greys or African species. She gets very angry if I even watch a video of them. I can't say for certain but I have the impression she considers herself "above" my S. American birds and other non Greys.

She is intensely bonded to me, and extremely affectionate, but I know many Greys are not Velcro birds. She will sit on me for as long as I let her, with her beak pressed against my face, demanding I pet and scritch her. The only other thing she loves as much is food. She is quite the piggy and loves to eat. And speaking of eating, she is especially happy if I hold pieces of apple for her or feed her from a spoon. She also trained me to pick up her water dish and hold it for her so she didn't have to bend over as far I did not realize at first I was being trained

She is one of the greatest manipulators I've ever known, human or non human. She knows exactly how to play me by being cute and sweet about it (no temper tantrums from Merlin; she knows you catch more bees with honey). Aside from the water bowl, she will also flatten herself against me when it's time to go back to her cage so I can't get a hand under her. She will also go to my shoulder with her butt to my face and her head on my upper arm to flatten herself as I can't really get either hand in front of her. Then she will jump off me onto the couch and bend her head for more scritches and give me the biggest puppy dog eyes. Then often when I go to place her on a perch, she will quickly run up my arm and bury her face in my chest and give me the puppy dog eyes and beg for more cuddle and petting. She has another where she hangs on the cage bars perfectly still, with her head cocked giving me that sappy look until I come over and kiss her. It's impossible to resist and it gets me every time

When she wants to dance, she gets my attention and then does a couple of dance steps and looks toward where she knows I am, and expects me then to sing for her until she doesn't feel like dancing anymore.

She is my heart and I don't mind meeting all her demands However, I am often up sick all night and need to nap in the afternoon. My other birds can see so they know I'm napping and will let me until it's afternoon snack time. Merlin can't see so she doesn't know and often as soon as I lay down I hear, "Whoo!" and then she wants to play the sound imitation game. I love her so much it's ok though. I'm used to not sleeping

I have to wear safety goggles when I cuddle with her to keep her from preening my eyes.

Wendy K.
04-20-2013, 03:22 PM
That is THE most heart-warming story, Audrey!! Miss Merlin has you snuggly and firmly wrapped around her feet. You can't even imagine my reaction when I read about 7 different farts. [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]) Merlin would be a HUGE hit in my family (I sometimes live with 3 farting men)! [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks])

I again cracked up when I read you had to wear safety goggles to prevent her from preening your eyes. If it weren't for the goggles, I'm sure you would be without eyebrows and eyelashes by now...perhaps even without eyeballs.

This is the first time I've heard of a Grey being SO very affectionate. I can fully see why you two have such a strong bond.

Wonderful story, Audrey! Thank you so much for sharing it with us. :D

aliray
04-20-2013, 03:28 PM
Audrey what a sweet story. I am not sure who is luckier her or you? What an amazing bond you two have

roxynoodle
04-20-2013, 04:19 PM
Oh, I just love her so much!

It's actually my tear ducts she wants to preen. Obviously she feels those need serious help, lol! I have no idea what they look like to her with her major vision loss. She has fully mature cataracts in both eyes; bad enough that the vet is surprised she can see anything at all. I know she can though as she attacked one of the dog toys a few weeks ago, hee hee! So those are the funky looking googles you see in the pic, lol!

merlinsmom13
04-20-2013, 05:10 PM
Miss Merlin had a special place in my heart <3

Honesty
04-20-2013, 06:24 PM
I know the whole story with Miss Merlin and I can remember the first day you got her:)

You have loved and cared for her all this time and it shows just how much you both love each other.

All your Birds are so lucky to have such a wonderful Mommy :)

Antoinette
04-20-2013, 06:30 PM
Such a heart warming story
Miss Merlin sure is lucky to have such a loving caring guardian
Wish you many many many happy years together
:th_MEYERS:

Copper
04-20-2013, 06:35 PM
Awww this is such a sweet story. Even though she has cataracts she's still not a old bird and has lots of life a head of her. Is it possible to get the cataracts removed? Although, it would probably cost a fortune LOL. My step dad has both the lenses replaced in his eyes because of cataracts, apparently it's more common in people who work on computers daily. He is only in his 46.

It is so great when a bird loves you soooo much. Rosie loves me, but she is perfectly happy to nip at me if she isn't in the mood to be touched and isn't cuddly. Miss Merlin sounds as cuddly as a white cockatoo!

roxynoodle
04-20-2013, 09:17 PM
It is possible to have the cataracts removed and the lenses replaced. There is a man at the University of Tennessee who could do the surgery. Cost is definitely one factor, but I also wonder what Merlin would think suddenly being able to see again? I worry she might hate it much as some deaf people hate their cochlear implants. I wish there was some way to ask her what she wanted.

Copper
04-20-2013, 09:26 PM
It is possible to have the cataracts removed and the lenses replaced. There is a man at the University of Tennessee who could do the surgery. Cost is definitely one factor, but I also wonder what Merlin would think suddenly being able to see again? I worry she might hate it much as some deaf people hate their cochlear implants. I wish there was some way to ask her what she wanted.
I think if you're ever able to afford it it's worth it. It may be strange at first for her, and like any bird new things can be a little scary. But over time being able to see again will give her so many joyous things that she won't be able to experience without her sight. She still has 30+ years ahead of her to experience new things.

roxynoodle
04-20-2013, 09:43 PM
I think if you're ever able to afford it it's worth it. It may be strange at first for her, and like any bird new things can be a little scary. But over time being able to see again will give her so many joyous things that she won't be able to experience without her sight. She still has 30+ years ahead of her to experience new things.

Well, one problem is that doctor is getting up there in years. My vet said he is the only one she would trust to properly anesthetize her and do the surgery. So I need to win the lottery sooner rather than later :th_biggrin:

As for lifespan, Merlin has ABV, which is the cause of her blindness. I sure hope she lives another 30 years, but it probably isn't likely. She unfortunately catches opportunistic infections just from stuff that is always in the air, and which doesn't affect healthy birds or mammals. We have a monthly standing vet appointment to check her out. We did manage to go from October to the beginning of April without brewing anything up, so we have turned a corner on her health compared to when I got her :)

Copper
04-20-2013, 10:09 PM
Well, one problem is that doctor is getting up there in years. My vet said he is the only one she would trust to properly anesthetize her and do the surgery. So I need to win the lottery sooner rather than later :th_biggrin:

As for lifespan, Merlin has ABV, which is the cause of her blindness. I sure hope she lives another 30 years, but it probably isn't likely. She unfortunately catches opportunistic infections just from stuff that is always in the air, and which doesn't affect healthy birds or mammals. We have a monthly standing vet appointment to check her out. We did manage to go from October to the beginning of April without brewing anything up, so we have turned a corner on her health compared to when I got her :)
aw how sad, I suppose in that case all you can do is spoil her while she is with you :( I'm glad she is doing ok at the moment.

KBEquine
04-22-2013, 11:24 PM
Just wanted to mention how much I enjoy ANY thread on Ms. Merlin!

roxynoodle
04-23-2013, 12:02 AM
Just wanted to mention how much I enjoy ANY thread on Ms. Merlin!

You HAVE to share the Goose and Kiwi stories with us, lol! And of course I tell them to Merlin :)

Blancaej
04-23-2013, 02:03 AM
Miss Merlin is just absolutely adorable! Loved your story. Such a sweet grey. You are both lucky to have each other. Love the goggles! :)

aliray
04-23-2013, 01:07 PM
If her immune system is that compromised I would think surgery would be a big risk. and she sounds like a very happy, sweet bird

roxynoodle
04-23-2013, 01:39 PM
If her immune system is that compromised I would think surgery would be a big risk. and she sounds like a very happy, sweet bird

Well, sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't. It's complicated, lol! Stress can definitely factor in though, and a trip to Tennessee would be stressful. Also her hormones have a lot to do with it and are the most likely factor in her recent infection. Hormones = ABV getting set off = easily catches opportunistic infection.

So she recently had a Lupron shot and will get another on the 30th when she goes in for her next checkup. It's been a learning experience for me, but now I know, when she gets super hormonal, she needs that shot.

She is a sweet and happy bird though, and actually very confident surprisingly enough.

keepsmiling
04-25-2013, 09:38 AM
I love the story of Merlin:strawberry:...gotta love them goggles too!:th_embarassed: I know you take excellent care, and all of your birds are happy. Thanks for sharing her story.