PDA

View Full Version : Tiel lovers - M vs. F ?

HisAngel
01-10-2014, 03:27 PM
I am so leery of taking everything I read online as truth.. :/ and the few breeders I have spoken to all seem to have varying opinions, haha. Perhaps this only means that each bird is individual, as we all are and I need to just go with the flow and not think too much.:th_faint: But I dont know anyone who actually has any cockatiels as pets currently. The few I have met and interacted with seem to follow what Ive read that males tend to be cuddlier and more outgoing, and females more likely to be hissy and bitey. Now, my experience is extremely limited, and I know there are many factors that affect temperament. So Im just asking for poops and giggles. Based on your own experiences, whether you've had both or not, what is your experience? The two babies I am going to see have not been DNA tested. If I want that done it will be my own responsibility. Like I said, based on my reading it seems to suggest males are better if you enjoy a cuddlier more interactive bird. Where a female would suit if you want a more reserved aloof pet. As far as talking, it isnt THAT important to me, but everything Ive read says males are more likely to pick up a few words where females are more wont to sing/chatter.... One of the more prominent breeders in the area says this isnt true and males and females are equal in that way. Gah. LOL

Any experiences/opinions to share? :th_COCKATIEL:

Debra
01-10-2014, 03:54 PM
In my experience (I've got 4 males and 2 females), there really isn't that big of a difference. It really depends on how much you interact with them. Give them lots of attention and they will generally want to be with you. That being said, they are all individuals and have their own personality. I've got 3 tiels who were hatched here in my home. One male wants to be with a human all the time, the other male loves to wolf whistle and give kisses, the girl is hands off and will only tolerate the human talking to her. I have a male who wants nothing at all to do with humans. The other male and female are a bonded pair and will be happy to interact with us or not. Just depends on the bird and what's going on at the time. The only time any of my tiels hiss at us is when my oldest female is sitting on eggs. She will hiss at me when I reach in and change out the real eggs for fake eggs. She doesn't bite, but she acts all big and mean.

I really believe that it is how you treat/interact with them to shape their personalities that will give you what you want.

Blancaej
01-10-2014, 04:44 PM
I don't have any experience with Tiels but I say, if you are able, let the bird pick you! That is always a good sign that the relationship will go well!

HisAngel
01-10-2014, 05:14 PM
I kind of expected babies to be a bit nervous of strangers? No? I am totally down for a bird to choose me. TOTALLY so if thats a possibility then great. How do I know its chosen me? And if neither 'choose me' then maybe I should wait? LOL I am overthinking. I know it. Im sorry lol

tonkatiel
01-10-2014, 11:03 PM
Are you looking at aviary bred birds or handreared? If possible I would definitely say to go for a handreared bird!
Both of my cockatiels were aviary bred, Tonks was a lot older than a 'baby' when we got him and as far as I know I did everything right (was patient, never pushed him to like us etc) but almost a year later I still can't even change his feed bowls without getting hissed at. Tessa we haven't had for as long and she was a lot younger when we got her - I think if she was a single bird she would have been 'easier' to tame because she was so young, I have never tried to tame her though as we got her as a mate for Tonks and so we didn't want her bonding to a human... Although she would have been easier to tame than Tonks though it still would have taken a LOT of effort and if you don't have a lot of experience with birds it could be even harder. All it takes is one mistake and the bird may never forgive you...
If you're looking at handreared birds I can't honestly tell you whether a male or female would be better. I also have heard plenty about males being more cuddly and such which I couldn't tell you if its true or not. Tonks definitely does whistle which Tessa doesn't, although neither of them have shown any interest in talking...

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

coltfire
01-11-2014, 12:23 AM
ive found with mine that the males are more bitty but if you are getting a baby and give it the time it wont matter if male or female.

HisAngel
01-11-2014, 09:47 PM
Thanks everyone! I'm so excited to get started! When I bring baby home, should I give him a day or two to get settled before handling him? My plan, after discussing with the 2 breeders is to keep him in a quieter part of the house where the kids wont be inadvertently enforce any bad/loud behaviour by reacting to screeching etc.. I will bring him out to hang out and be with us a few times a day for awhile and in the evenings hell be out from 7pm (bedtime for kids) until bedtime. When should I start this routine? I dont want to totally overwhelm him,

tonkatiel
01-12-2014, 12:05 PM
Is he handreared or aviary bred? It will make a huge difference in how much time he'll need to adjust.
If handreared I'd give him a day or 2 but no longer, if aviary bred I'd give closer to a week. During that time though I would still sit next to the cage and talk to him - I generally play it by ear. If I'm sitting next to the cage and he is more than happy for me to be there, seems keen to come out and say hello and such, I'll do exactly that. If he doesn't seem completely sure or doesn't seem to like you being there I would definitely leave it longer.
I'm not really sure why you would want him away from your kids. I do have a rule with my birds that they generally only come out of their cages when the kids are in bed - but their cages are kept in the loungeroom with the family. I fear that keeping them in a quiet room by themselves would lead to loneliness and to not allow him to know and get used to your children. My kids are young (6, 3 and 2) and far from quiet, but I can't say any of my 10 birds have 'bad/loud behaviour problems' - the only one of my birds who is ever loud is my Galah and only in the morning and evening which is a natural thing for all birds. I don't think being around your kids will encourage your bird to screech any more than it normally would. Not to mention the fact that I've never met a cockatiel who was even capable of screeching lol, they tend to make either a chirpy noise or a whistle.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

HisAngel
01-12-2014, 07:55 PM
Please remember I am new to this. The bird was handfed, and is now in an aviary with other birds but is handled daily. In talking with the breeders I did, they all mentioned that a less busy part if the house was better for him if we had small kids who may react to undesirable attention seeking. If he was kept in the living room and then while the kids were watching TV he starts making noises that they don't like and they react by telling him to be quiet or talking to him it's going to reinforce the non wanted noise and make it harder to encourage/teach him better noises. Is that not correct? I'm not expecting not do I want a silent bird nor one that is perfectly behaved... But I would like to be able to encourage good behavior. I am beginning to feel like it's not possible to get the same info from more than 2 people at a time. Makes it hard to know what to do.

tonkatiel
01-13-2014, 12:13 AM
Sorry I didn't mean to offend you with my post, I apologise if it did...
The breeders who have told you that may be correct - my kids have been known to tell my birds to be quiet if they're making too much noise during a movie or such - but the way I see it is that its all part of having them (both kids and birds :P ), and for me personally I prefer to take that risk so that my birds can spend all their time with us. Of course it is completely your choice and I'm sure that whatever you choose to do your bird will be very happy :)

Unfortunately you will receive a lot of contradicting advice from a lot of people, but especially for things like this it is just a matter of opinion and everyone will have a different one ;) this is a great forum though where you'll receive plenty of great advice and tips, I do apologise if I have made you think otherwise :(

coltfire
01-13-2014, 12:53 AM
every bird is different, and until you bring him/her home and he/her settles in your not going to know what the bird will be like and that will still change daily, teils are very easy to take care of, as for the noise, and your children that will be a see as it goes, teils and just the one wont make that much noise any way and i have found the easiest way to quieten them down while watching tv IF they are to noise is to just cover there cage of a night, day time it should be fine , and if he/she is chirping and singing its because he/she is happy and just wants some attention, birds would rather be in a room where they can see what's going on around them but putting them in a quiter part of the house will not hurt them either just make sure he/she has plenty of toys to keep him/her occupied , as a 1st time owner you will learn what your bird does and doesnt like by the way he/she acts just likeyour children when they were born, dont tear yourself up over this, all will be fine and you can always ask on here if you have any questions, but just remember you will get lots of different answers does not mean any are wrong its what has worked for that person, all you need to do is take a bit of every thing and see what works for your bird. and enjoy and have fun here and with your bird.

Blancaej
01-14-2014, 02:12 PM
I kind of expected babies to be a bit nervous of strangers? No? I am totally down for a bird to choose me. TOTALLY so if thats a possibility then great. How do I know its chosen me? And if neither 'choose me' then maybe I should wait? LOL I am overthinking. I know it. Im sorry lol

As for the bird choosing you, you will know. They will show interest in getting to know you. :D

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2