PDA

View Full Version : My dog Vana

roxynoodle
04-20-2013, 02:12 PM
I've only had Vana for 7 weeks now. She is a 1 year old Cane Corso. We are doing very well with her training except for one issue (which is a big issue). She can be very aggressive towards certain men and I'm currently trying to find an experienced trainer who can help me with this. With me she is wonderful though. She actually was house broken in only 5 days and is very smart. Although the fast house breaking is probably due to her strong territorialness.

The first pic is from when I first brought her home and the second one I took a couple of weeks ago.

Wendy K.
04-20-2013, 02:21 PM
Vana is GORGEOUS, Audrey!!! If there was a LOVE button, I would have pushed that over and over again!!!

How big is she? She won't be done growing until she's about 3, the head will be the last thing to finish growing. :D I love that her ears and tail is cropped, she truly looks FANTASTIC! What a GREAT example of what a Cane Corso should look like!!!!

Does she slobber a bit? :ROFLMAODog:

As for her male aggression the more you take her out and socialize her and de-sensitise her, the better for her. Try not to tense up when you see a male approaching, as she will most definitely pick up on it right away. I know that's easier said than done. :(

Do you want her obedience trained and then protection trained? Have you tried finding nearby police dog trainers? It CAN be costly, but IMO it can be worth every single penny. :D

roxynoodle
04-20-2013, 02:30 PM
Thankfully I'm a very calm and easygoing person. I'm trying to socialize her to new people and situations as much as possible. She really needs a lot of positive experiences I think. We had a bad experience once again with a "trainer" a few days ago and every time things like that happen, it probably just makes things worse :(

I've been told to avoid the police dog trainers by an experienced dog trainer on AA. At this point I'm not really sure what to think as far as trainers go. She wants me to work with a bird behaviorist in my area, who has a great reputation...as a bird behaviorist. She's not actually a certified dog trainer though.

Actually she doesn't drool at all. She was 84lbs at the vet a couple weeks ago and over the last few days her hips have suddenly gotten higher than her shoulders so I think she's having a growth spurt. Yes, her face probably won't "pop" until she's more like 2.5 years old.

She's also a rare color called Formentino :)

Wendy K.
04-20-2013, 02:41 PM
I'm so sorry you had a bad experience with a dog trainer. That can be such a set-back. :(

I would give the bird behaviorist a try. I don't think it would hurt.

Since Vana is so young, you have all options wide open. She needs to have confidence, that much is certain. It really helps that you are a calm person.

84 pounds of pure lean muscle. SWEET!!!

I've never heard of Formentino. I know they come in black, light gray, plum gray, blue gray, and light and dark fawn.

aliray
04-20-2013, 03:32 PM
Audrey I probably missed the post but how did you come to adopt Vana who is gorgeous by the way?

roxynoodle
04-20-2013, 04:11 PM
No, you didn't miss the post as I first talked about it on another forum :)

My situation is that I have an ex husband who has continued to bother me despite our being divorced for 14 years. I had thought he was leaving me alone, but I came to realize that he probably wasn't. But, right after my last dog passed away in 07, I got a new neighbor who had a German Shepard that they didn't take care of. Within a week of their moving into my area, their dog decided to move to my house. At least here she got food and water and shelter and I did the best I could for her. Well, I do think the ex was afraid to do anything with that big dog laying in front of my door, lol! However, the dog passed away, I saw at my ex at Walmart and then within a day realized he was casing out my house :( After 2 days of knowing someone was watching me, I decided I needed another dog ASAP.

I looked at about 45 shelter dogs on that Saturday but just wasn't sure any of them would fit in right here and run him off. I had seen Vana's ad from her breeder and knew she was socialized to horses and cats so I felt more confident of her fitting in well with my other animals. I saw her the next day and bought her.

2 days later my ex tried to break in at 1am. Vana charged that window though like a rabid beast and I'm quite certain he won't be back, or not for a long time anyway. So she did her job but I suspect it's that incident that has made her so wary of certain men. So far the biggest issues I've had have been with men who resemble him I can't help but notice.

So she needs to learn who is a threat and who is a guest.

aliray
04-20-2013, 04:20 PM
WOW that is so scary . You might also consider an alarm system if you do not already have one. As well as a pump 12 gauge shotgun just for backup. also a restraining order. Vana is earning her keep that's for sure

keepsmiling
04-20-2013, 04:23 PM
Wendy hit something...I have a feeling you do tense up and don't even know it. I love Vana! You need new pics of her....hint hint.:joyous:

Wendy K.
04-20-2013, 04:52 PM
:th_omg: Audrey, your story on WHY you got Vana sent chills down my spine. Maybe it's not so bad afterall that Vana is not too crazy about men? You MUST protect yourself - at all cost!!!

I am SO very sorry!!!! HUGS!!!!!!

Wendy K.
04-20-2013, 04:53 PM
... As well as a pump 12 gauge shotgun just for backup...

GREAT idea!!! I 100% agree.

roxynoodle
04-20-2013, 04:58 PM
A 12 gauge isn't easy to carry around in your pocket. I do have a 40 caliber semi auto though :)

Restraining orders really only work for sane, rational people.

roxynoodle
04-20-2013, 05:02 PM
Wendy hit something...I have a feeling you do tense up and don't even know it. I love Vana! You need new pics of her....hint hint.:joyous:

I might be starting to tense up now that we've had 2 major issues of her behaving so dangerously with my 2 uncles who have tried to visit. After the second one saying he's never been so intimidated in his life and that Vana is more frightening than the time he was shot in the face by 2 gang bangers, I'm more than a bit concerned about this.

aliray
04-20-2013, 05:19 PM
What did the breeder say? I understood that by nature they are very protective, Though I don't know very much about the breed. How about keeping treats by the door and vana on a leash when people are coming over and having them give her treats so that after a while she might see people as the bringer of good things? I can see why you would be concerned.

roxynoodle
04-20-2013, 05:24 PM
I agree people giving her treats will be positive. However for everyone's safety, the best way would be for them to toss them on the ground a few feet from them, at least until we are sure she is ok with that person. My second uncle brought a toy as a positive offering and she nearly took his hand off. So we need to work on it bit by bit.

I think she was very isolated at the breeder's house and hasn't had much socialization. Like me, they lived in the country, and they had a large pole building and 2.5 acre run for the dogs.

aliray
04-20-2013, 05:47 PM
I have a feeling that your right about the lack of socialization. Are their any dog obedience classes near you even if she had to wear a muzzel. Or maybe call your vet and see if they could recommend one . or give you some ideas to try

roxynoodle
04-20-2013, 06:36 PM
I have a feeling that your right about the lack of socialization. Are their any dog obedience classes near you even if she had to wear a muzzel. Or maybe call your vet and see if they could recommend one . or give you some ideas to try

I did call my vet, but they didn't know anyone they felt could work with her aggression. I also contacted every certified trainer within an hour's drive of me, but none of them really felt qualified either.

I suspect no one would want her in an obedience class with other people and their dogs, although she does seem to be friendliest to people who have dogs with them. I'm also thinking regular obedience classes aren't quite what I need here. She has learned basic commands very quickly. Walking on a leash still needs more work though. Sometimes she's great and other times she gets back to wanting to pull me around.

I'm not exactly sure what she needs but I *think* I need some experienced in working with severe aggression using positive training methods. Trainers who want to use punishment will make her even worse IMO as then meeting people becomes even more negative.

aliray
04-20-2013, 06:52 PM
I agree with you.

vour1967
07-01-2013, 04:30 PM
Where are you located? I heard about a new dog fitness establishment within the Chicago area. Have you heard about K9 Fit Club? You can check their YELP listings and see the directions from there.