PDA

View Full Version : How Is Everyone Dealing With This Winter

spiritbird
01-06-2014, 03:06 PM
I know the weather has been bad in many parts of US and UK. I must confess I have SAD under treatment of course. It is really bad right now. Many people are hibernating and trying to stay sane, including me. Thank goodness we have this forum connection to the world. Wish we had some sunshine here. I can't do the lights like the birds can because bright light gives me migraines. Got a new TV delivered today because the old one lost the color. However, when the new one was hooked up to comcast, guess what! No color on the new one so now Comcast is coming here sometime today to replace the new cable box again. I am not so good with jokes but how would someone like to start a "jokes for the winter blues" thread. At least that would give us a few laughs. :sad6:

Blancaej
01-06-2014, 03:19 PM
It has definitely been freezing up here! -17 without the windchill! Brrrrrr! But today it's going to be 50. And they wonder why we get so many colds. It's tough on the body. LOL! I don't know if you saw my thread where are electricity went out for 2.5 hours in the evening. It was -9 out with a windchill of -27. Bird room was 57.5 degrees when we got electricity back. If it had gone lower we would have had to take all the birds to our shop where we still had electricity. So it's been an interesting winter so far to say the least.

Honesty
01-06-2014, 03:20 PM
I know exactly how you feel Dianne! I suffer with "SAD" too :(

Our weather here in the UK has been the worst on record! We have had non stop gales and flooding. This has been going on for weeks now and has done a lot of damage to many parts of the country!

Sorry to hear about the problems with your TV. I hope they manage to fix it for you today :)

You are right in what you say, at least we have our forum family to keep us sane through the awful months of winter :)

We have a jokes thread, which De'Andrea created. Have a look through some. This may cheer you up. Feel free to add to it :)

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Debra
01-06-2014, 03:33 PM
I'm sorry to hear about how bad it is for you all up north. Here I am complaining about 16 degree weather here. I suppose it's bad for all of us right now.

spiritbird
01-06-2014, 06:36 PM
Guess I am not alone on this. Tonight and tomorrow temps will be 0 - 3 degrees above. This is exceptionall cold for Md. Having birds and power outages in the winter is worse than worse. I have a small portable propane heater which, according to directions, can be used inside for a while. Havn't used it yet and really am uncomfortable about it. Cannot get a generator in an apartment. Stay warm everyone!:cheered-up-smiley-e

Mare
01-07-2014, 04:35 AM
I'm sorry you're feeling blue about the weather, Dianne :(. Power outages can be rough with birds, you worry about them. Looking at satellite pics, you on the east coast are getting hammered!! Here in California, it's been scary dry, we need rain and snow, badly! The temps have been reasonable, though, not too cold. We have a fire going at night.

Turquoise
01-07-2014, 05:03 AM
Well even down here in my part of Texas which is a long ways west and a little north of Debra it has been COLD!! I was sick last week with a cold or something and missed my 2nd & 3rd night of work. Had to work out in the weather on the other 2 nights of work. This week I've been working out in the cold 2 of the nights and 2 in the towers. Last night & this early morning our low was a +5○F and it was cold up at the highway gate checking ID s in the chilly air! I was all wrapped up with my insulated overalls to keep my legs warm, 2 jackets under my heavy coat, double hood over my fuzzy beanie cap. Some of the officers tried to be smart with saying, "Are you cold, hehe?" Of which I would answer,"Nope!! Not with all this warm stuff on!! :)

I haven't lost power this winter yet but it worries me a lot working 50 miles from home and not having a soul to ask to check on my critters. I do rely on a propane heater for my main source of heat, but it has an electric thermostat that is useless if the electricity goes out. It can be started and used manually, but you have to be there to start it back up once the power goes out. I also keep 3 sealed oil filled heaters on in various parts of the house to help the propane heater keep drafts away, but again 2 of those have digital thermostats and will not come on until restarted if the power goes out! We have a small generator that runs on gas, but if we're not home there is no one we can call to start it up and plug the heaters into it.

My saving grace is that we rarely have that severe of weather for long and it has been very dry here, so no broken power lines for us this season! :)

Debra
01-07-2014, 12:35 PM
We woke up to no hot water yesterday. Line froze up. We had to go to the nearest truck stop to take showers! We're supposed to get above freezing today so hopefully we will have hot water tonight. I'm so tired of this cold weather! I think I can understand to a point your feelings on this Dianne, even though we aren't anywhere near as bad as you are. How are things today?

spiritbird
01-07-2014, 01:23 PM
Woke up to 3 degrees and 15 degrees wind chill. We do have heat (oil) and hot water. Stay warm everyone!!

crazyanimal
01-07-2014, 03:25 PM
We are having terrible weather too. -30 last week. I have Fibromyalgia and this cold is killing my body. Friday of last week I had to go out in it to ship orders and I suffered the next few days from it. I told my husband this is going to be a very long winter if it continues like this. Yesterday we had rain and it warmed up to about zero and now right back to cold again. Thankfully we have those space heaters through out the house to supplement some heat. We have those ones that look like a night stand. They work great, especially the one in the bird's area.

spiritbird
01-07-2014, 06:16 PM
Delta I feel so sorry that you have to deal with Fibromyalgia. Hopefully you are on some good pain medication. Everyone please remember to keep hydrated and bath our birds more in this dry winter air.