PDA

View Full Version : Incoming from Canada!

Karigan
04-20-2013, 05:52 AM
Hey all, it's Karigan (Kate) from parrotforums.com! Can I just say how excited I am about this new forum?

So as a few of you know, I've had my Senegal parrot Kitoko (Kito) for two years now and she is just the littlest diva around. People are over? They must be there for her. Mom's cooking? Clearly she's making a four course meal just for her. Jokes aside, I got her from a couple who had only had her for two months before deciding they didn't have time for another family member. Before that she belonged to a crazy bird lady whom I assume was her first owner. From her band, we figure she's 11 years old.

My two Congo African Greys Talia (Tali) and Mateo (Teo) came to us this past October. I still consider them my surprise pregnancy, since we got a "Surprise! Guess what I bought you?" phone call from my brother-in-law one day... From 13 hours north. One long weekend later they were home. They spent their 4 1/2 years in a bird room practically cut off from people, so they were very confused at first when I kept hanging around their cage.

Tali is nervous-agressive; everything she does is done fast. She'll snatch a peanut and shred it before trying to steal her brothers. She accepts pets, but only about two strokes before you have to back off. Her feathering is perfect, and she certainly picks up things faster, even if she gets startled easily.

Teo on the other hand is my sweet boy. He's calm and does everything at his own pace. He's just began accepting head scratches a few months ago, and I can handle him much easier than I can his sister. I worry for him though since his wings are completely tattered. I figure it was trauma from falling too many times, but when we got him the feathers were whole but cracked and splintered down the middle and had to be clipped. No disease is suspected, but every time he tries to grow a new feather he gets startled and leaps, effectively snapping it off. Sigh...

Me? I'm a literary student up in the lower interior of British Columbia, Canada. I also work as a line cook and my husband and I own a house designing company, specializing in custom and revised stock homes. At home I tend the flock and the garden, and certainly read far too much for my own good.

I look forward to meeting everyone!
-Kate

plax
04-20-2013, 06:52 AM
Hi Kate... thanks for joining :). Your birds sound really terrific and special. BTW, I know you from PF. Please enjoy the forum :smile-new:

Honesty
04-20-2013, 07:59 AM
Hello Kate and :pp_welcome:Thankyou for joining us. Its lovely to see you here :th_chickendance:

keepsmiling
04-20-2013, 09:13 AM
Hello and welcome!:th_welcome2:

Wendy K.
04-20-2013, 10:28 AM
:th_welcome2: to our forum, Kate! I am so happy and excited to "see" you. :) I absolutely LOVE the way you write. When reading about Kito I smiled from ear to ear. Hilarious!!

Talia and Mateo are in GREAT hands now, and I truly hope that in time Teo will stop snapping off his feathers by accident.

Looking forward to seeing your posts. :) Thank you for joining.

roxynoodle
04-20-2013, 01:53 PM
Welcome to the forum.

There is a procedure called "imping" that is like hair attachments, only using feathers for birds that will help protect the new flight feathers coming in. I don't know much about it myself but know some have used that successfully to prevent the new feathers from breaking.

aliray
04-20-2013, 02:18 PM
Hi Kate and welcome to the forum

Mirlito
04-20-2013, 02:42 PM
Hi Kate, I´m a newbie here too from the parrot forum. Welcome.

Karigan
04-20-2013, 03:26 PM
Welcome to the forum.

There is a procedure called "imping" that is like hair attachments, only using feathers for birds that will help protect the new flight feathers coming in. I don't know much about it myself but know some have used that successfully to prevent the new feathers from breaking.

Roxy, I just finished reading up on imping, thank you so much! If he makes no progress by himself, hopefully I can find a vet who can do the procedure!

merlinsmom13
04-20-2013, 03:42 PM
Hi Kate & Welcome :D

Antoinette
04-20-2013, 05:52 PM
:thankyou: You for joining PP
Chat soon