PDA

View Full Version : What I learned this Christmas !

Pinkbirdy
12-27-2013, 03:13 AM
First [A little late Merry Christmas to everyone] :th_biggrin: Im exhausted ! But id rate it a good one this year. Pearl {my Goffin] ,Is the devil of the bunch.I got him in June [and used to refer to him as Satan ].Now I just call him "Pearl Monster" When I met him ,he would fly and try to attack everyone in the room [I think he considered the owner his mate.We have made considerable strides now [and have a cute relationship]. This bird insists on his routine !!! With me being busier this time of year . He did not like I was up and doing stuff. So I brought him near me with a stand [and he is now a shoulder bird!!] Normally their would be no way Id want him near my face [ but I was to busy to care]. So he was perfectly fine as long as he was there.:th_biggrin:Christmas morning he screamed as we were opening gifts . I guess he was mad he didn't have any [ so I gave him a box ] and he stopped. So next year I guess I need to get Pearl some gifts LOL. Ruby [my Macaw] eggs didn't hatch. She wont let me get them !! [Im going to lose an arm ] shes a big girl !! Lots I learned on this . The temperature and humidity has to be right [and vibration can harm them] I wish I had candled them . Now I realize the importance of that. This whole process is hard on a bird . I want my old bird back I miss her we had become friends. I didn't realize that my caiques could do puzzle toys almost their size !! I wish I could catch them doing it !! They take them apart and put them in their water dish :) Don't underestimate your birds !! Harlow [my macaw ] keeps letting herself out of her cage [and laughs] for those of you with Macaws im sure you know that laugh!!] Im lucky Dave has been here everytime shes gotten out .Owen [My Rb2] has taught me how to relax when they start flying around [I used to be a wreck]. funny ,birds are smart they seem to figure it out and get used to each other :).

Mare
12-27-2013, 04:21 AM
I hope you can finally get some rest, Terri! This Christmas seemed to be extra exhausting for me too! Sounds like Pearl is coming along, going from Satan to Monster, is HUGE! When Sassy got out of hand, hopping around on the floor and biting toes while unwrapping gifts, we just piled wrapping paper on top of her, she LOVED it, made her feel special and took her at least 15 secs. to figure out how to tunnel out! She then proceeded to shred the heck out of it! Sounds like you had a good one! :).

Pinkbirdy
12-27-2013, 10:09 PM
I was able to get the eggs out of the cage today [without losing a limb] .She is still pretending their there.Hopefully things will go back to normal soon.

Honesty
12-27-2013, 10:19 PM
I hope Ruby goes back to normal soon Terri!

It sounds like you have had a hectic Christmas too?

Pinkbirdy
12-27-2013, 10:33 PM
Yes Wendy [too busy] !! I cooked Christmas eve ,everyone loved all their stuff .Now Im in recovery Lol

Honesty
12-27-2013, 10:40 PM
Yes Wendy [too busy] !! I cooked Christmas eve ,everyone loved all their stuff .Now Im in recovery Lol:th_hehe: I know exactly how you feel! I am so ready for a couple of days rest now :)

spiritbird
12-27-2013, 10:43 PM
You need a day at the spa with a retreat to rest and recover. Have you considered getting dummy eggs for her? I have the eggs ready for Chipper and Daisy if the need arises. I wonder if the men get as exhausted as the ladies do at holiday time. Thanks so much for the adorable pic frame and toys. It was so nice to be about to put new toys in the bird cage where they are playing with them often. Take care and hope for some R&R for you.

Pinkbirdy
12-28-2013, 03:03 AM
Your welcome Dianne :) I was a little stumped trying to find different budgie things. I think your right about guys and Christmas].I think Dave bought and wrapped his gifts [and that's about it].I made peppermint bark and a seafood lasanga[sp?].We had a friend over Christmas eve . Then to my moms Christmas. It was the most relaxed one ive had yet. My kids were at their dads before hand .So I could get everything done :) Funny you say go to a "Spa" well that's the kind of work I do . :)Of course work was super busy too.

Turquoise
12-31-2013, 01:10 PM
A[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] sorry to hear Ruby's eggs didn't hatch. She probably wasn't ready to be a full time Mommy yet anyway, even if she thinks she is. Now you can have plenty of time (we hope) to study up on eggs when they appear again~~and they will now that she figured out what fun it is to sit & dream of the mansion Rocky is going to build his expanding family. And lets not forget his waiting on his lady foot & beak.:hehe2:

Well, since we didn't have anyone over and didn't do anything unusual for Christmas than any other normal day, my flock made it through with no qualms. I have it made bird wise since I don't have family to come around and upset the balance of their daily lives. Given the family I still have left, they would not want to spend the day listening to a rainforest medley from a flock of misfit birds. Their kinda' like their flock leader! :th_pinklol2: