PDA

View Full Version : ~~My Christmas Gift To Me~~

Turquoise
12-25-2013, 08:08 AM
Well I went and did it!! Yep, I went and got another bird!! A mighty big bird at that!! I was in Abilene doing a little shopping Monday afternoon and of all things I should go to the local pet shop. This is the one that is privately owned, but does not breed their own birds and until this past year never offered anything larger than a Cockatiel. So I was going to inquire to when they might have more turquoise Quakers. They had some in the summer, but I wasn't sure if I really wanted to add one to my mix. They have some green ones, but I love the turquoise or some call them blues the best.

So of course they have this really cute little slip of a fiddie that I just had to hold and give a look see at. Jerry was in the car~~asleep and after a few minutes of holding the little squirt I told the young guy (Cody~~He has sold many a critter to me over the years) showing the bird to me I would go get my hubby. I did tell Cody it didn't matter if hubby liked the bird or not, it was not up to him if I add to MY flock!! So hubby looks at this little one, looks at me & says, "It's your deal if you want him or not." And Cody says that is exactly what she told me you would say! I love my hubby~~he knows never to tell me no about anything.:th_hehe:

Well folks I unveil the newest member of my feathered flock~~Sierra Sunrise~~My White Capped Pionus!! I don't know if it is a girl or boy, they were not DNA sexed and I will get her (I think it looks girly) and Peta DNA sexed later as I really like to know for sure what they are. Don't want any identity crisis going on in the rainforest!:th_embarassed:

She is settling in well, 4 months old and wanted a little comfort food yesterday after being uprooted from her store home. She is super sweet, will give kisses already when she wants to. Very quiet, nothing like the rest of my rowdy bunch. Roscoe is a bit jealous, he was like that when I brought Ruby Jewel home. He gets over it really quick when he finds out he doesn't have to share sleeping quarters with the newbie. Not that they will be in the same cage, but Sierra will be Peta's friend that is closer to her size and they can fuss together about life & their mean Mom who doesn't let them do what they want. :th_LOL:

Sierra Sunrise
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

coltfire
12-25-2013, 01:35 PM
absolutely beautiful, welcome to your new home Sierra sunrise, im sure she will be lots of fun and full of mischief once she settles in with the rest of the bunch and how could hubby say no it's Christmas:th_hehe: well done on your new addition

Debra
12-25-2013, 02:03 PM
She's beautiful! I can't wait to watch her personality come out. Congratulations!

Honesty
12-25-2013, 02:53 PM
Oh wow! Sierra Sunrise is absolutely beautiful. What a lovely name!

Congrats De'Andrea :)

Turquoise
12-25-2013, 05:10 PM
Thanks Steve, Debra & Wendy! :th_hug8:

Sierra is so quiet. She has been wanting baby food for comfort. She was eating on her other foods this morning, but still not full meals. So while I was busy filling the big kids bowls with their breakfast she was making these noises. They are not really screams, more melodic in sound. Nothing at all like I am used to coming from a parrot! She was hungry again and was trying to tell me to hurry up with the gluttons and feed her. I read the Pionus are a very quiet species and I believe it after hearing her.

I chose her name cause she reminds me of pine & fir trees in color with a few clouds (her white cap) above. She has the red at the base of her tail so it looks like the sun rising through the trees. Kinda' silly way to name a bird I guess.:pinkgrin: She will get more colorful as she matures, but not sure how much blue or bronze she will get and the white cap is supposed to get larger. Will be interesting to see as I have never owned a pionus before. And yes, Debra I can't wait to see what her personality will be as well. The Blue Headed are quite beautiful, I may have to add one one day to my flock.:giggle:

I was very surprised when I came to the pionus section that no one has put their birds on here. Maybe some of the members who own them will join in with me and we can compare the traits and photos.

spiritbird
12-25-2013, 05:27 PM
She is spectacular as is her name. I am very happy for you. Also, you trained your husband well! Looking forward to hearing more about her.:th_cheer:

Pinkbirdy
12-25-2013, 05:33 PM
Shes great !!! My favorite gift:)

Turquoise
12-25-2013, 06:12 PM
Thanks Terri. I must keep nipping at your heels with my bird count!! :pinkgrin:

Pinkbirdy
12-25-2013, 07:47 PM
Fantastic idea [game on ] Ill let Dave know! [he he]

spiritbird
12-25-2013, 08:31 PM
I left a response here but it is not showing. Your new fid is totally awesome! Love her name and coloring. You also trained your spouse well! Congrats:bounce6:

Mare
12-25-2013, 09:05 PM
Such a cool, beautiful gift to yourself! She/he is such a pretty bird :). Sierra's looks reminds me of an Amazon, when her neck is extended, just smaller? More the size of a Quaker? I saw my pregnant niece, last night, and they know that the bun in the oven is a girl, their chosen name is Sierra Serene, I've always loved the name Sierra :). Congrats on your new addition!

Turquoise
12-25-2013, 10:27 PM
Thanks Dianne & Mare. That is a very pretty name your Niece has chosen. :th_hug8:

I have thought the same thing about Pionus looking like smaller versions of Amazons when I saw photos of them. The White Capped is one of the smallest of the species I read. She is not as small as Peta, but definitely smaller than Leyla Belle. Similar to a Quaker in size would be a good description, but much quieter. :) It's amazing just how quiet this one is compared to even Leyla Belle. She can belt out a scream when she wants to that makes the macaw boys stare in disbelief! This little Pionus' sounds remind me of something out of the old Star Trek shows when they would land on a strange planet and come across little funny sounding creatures. It's noises are just that strange sounding, a bit on the squeaky side, coming from a parrot.:pinkgrin:

Dianne, I think your message you meant to put here somehow got posted in my Christmas Card greeting thread in the Celebration and Recognition forum. Yeah, Jerry (hubby) learned early on many years ago to never tell me no about anything. I don't listen to him even when he ventures a weak 'no' in my direction! :th_biggrin: He is a good guy, that's why I've kept him around for so many years. (*A bit of a devilish grin creeping across my lips*)

plax
12-26-2013, 04:31 PM
A bit late on this... but what a cutie Sierra Sunrise is, De'Andrea :). My mother used to have a White-capped Pionus and it was the sweetest little bird imaginable! Congratulations!! :th_biggrin:

plax
12-26-2013, 04:42 PM
I left a response here but it is not showing.That's because you put it in another thread of De'Andrea's, Dianne ;). I've moved it here for you... it's post #6.

JudiNH
12-26-2013, 06:52 PM
Oh gorgeous!!! Love her! Merry Christmas to YOU. :)

Blancaej
12-26-2013, 07:33 PM
She is beautiful De'! Congratulations! I will have to add her to your signature! :)

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Mare
12-26-2013, 09:06 PM
When I see a good one, Sierra sunrise that is, I'll capture a photo for you! :th_biggrin:

Pinkbirdy
12-28-2013, 02:42 AM
How is your baby!!!!

kendrafitz
12-29-2013, 02:01 AM
Sierra Sunrise is absolutely gorgeous!! What a great Christmas gift! Congrats De'Andrea!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks])

Turquoise
12-30-2013, 07:49 AM
A bit late on this... but what a cutie Sierra Sunrise is, De'Andrea :). My mother used to have a White-capped Pionus and it was the sweetest little bird imaginable! Congratulations!! :th_biggrin:

Thanks Tony. I'm a bit late with my responses here as well. Sierra is still very much a baby and right now does not want to be held. Very understandable since she doesn't know if I will eat her for a snack yet.:pinkgrin:

Turquoise
12-30-2013, 07:52 AM
Oh gorgeous!!! Love her! Merry Christmas to YOU. :)

Thank you so much Judi, she is a real cutie. And a late Merry Christmas to you! I will add Happy New Year as well! :year2:

Turquoise
12-30-2013, 08:40 AM
She is beautiful De'! Congratulations! I will have to add her to your signature! :)

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Thanks Blanca! And yes you will have to add Sierra to my siggie. Don't rush about it, she will be around I predict for a long time. LOL

I don't have any other photos of her than these right now. And when she gets her adult colors her pic will have to be changed again. :)

Turquoise
12-30-2013, 08:43 AM
When I see a good one, Sierra sunrise that is, I'll capture a photo for you! :th_biggrin:

I would love to see a photo of a beautiful Sierra Sunrise~~A real one that is!:pinkgrin:

Turquoise
12-30-2013, 08:49 AM
How is your baby!!!!

My baby is doing great Terri. :) She wants to be a real baby again, so I have been catering to her with a little comfort food in the mornings and evenings to give her assurance. She doesn't want to be held any yet, but I think she will come around when she settles in. She is already playing with her toys some, so she is feeling more secure everyday. Not so good at staying on the play perch and gets mad at me for catching her when I put her back on it. She can pinch pretty good and I look at her & say, "Really?!" "Have you seen the macaw beaks I deal with Little Lady?" :th_LOL:

Turquoise
12-30-2013, 08:52 AM
Sierra Sunrise is absolutely gorgeous!! What a great Christmas gift! Congrats De'Andrea!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks])

Thanks Kendra. Sierra is definitely different in a lot of ways to the much larger birds I am more used to. She is a very pretty and nice addition to my flock.:th_biggrin:

kendrafitz
12-30-2013, 12:50 PM
I have no real experience with birds except Rosie. So I'm very interested in how Sierra differs from the big macs.

Turquoise
12-31-2013, 10:58 AM
Peta my GCC is much more stubborn than the big kids. And Sierra is in a way too. Although with Sierra I can't be sure yet if it is more about her not being settled in or if it will be a trait. What I mean about being more stubborn is in trying to get them to stay put on a play perch. Peta has never wanted to stay where she is allowed to play. She will do everything in her power to go where she wants no matter how many times she is put back on her play area.:th_hehe:

With all three of my macaws I don't have nearly the trouble with them getting off except on rare occasions. They were never that bad about not staying on their play areas outside of their homes even when they first came. They just seem to be easier to work with on some things.

I am just talking about my birds as I have no idea if other GCCs are like that since Peta is my only one I've ever owned. Leyla Belle, my ekkie girl is not so stubborn, but does occasionally decide to go roaming. Nothing like Peta, that little girl has a mind of her own. We shall see if Sierra is like that as she gets used to me & her new home. :th_biggrin: