PDA

View Full Version : Back again

Wulfgeist
12-25-2013, 02:23 AM
This morning I was awakened by the landlord needing to come downstairs and get something out of storage. About that time while he was down here I heard Tico make a strange noise. After he went back upstairs I got up and found Tico at the bottom of his cage. His feet were gripping the grate pretty tightly, I couldn't just pick him up. He was still alive but slipped away as I was wrapping him up in my shirt. I have no idea what could have happened to him, it seemed seizure-ish. He's been acting ok up until this morning, nothing unusual. He just passed his seventh hatchday, still pretty young for a conure. Sadly the beginning of his life with me was rough because I was one of those bird-brained people who knew nothing about birds. I really didn't start paying attention and really doing research until I was getting Jasper. I smoked in the house and used fragrance warmers, fed him cheap seed from walmart..I suppose it's possible the damage was done by the time I stopped smoking and started buying quality food and tried to feed him fruits and veggies. We had our differences for sure but he was a loving little clown when he wasn't in a bad mood. I hope he forgives me for being stupid.

We all mourn in our own way. I am coping by going to the pet store and buying a pair of budgies, new toys, new cage. I hate being birdless. I hate that Tico's stocking was already filled and would feel better if there were someone here to enjoy it. I think the budgies will like the blueberry millet..not sure if they will chew on the filled log..hopefully they will like the toys. I have lost too much this year.

Turquoise
12-25-2013, 08:20 AM
Oh Sorry to hear about Tico RJ. :th_sadhug: You certainly have had a run of bad luck with your critters. I so understand about you needing to fill your home with the sounds of birds and budgies are sweet little guys. I am glad you have them to help you through this.

Fly high little Tico over the Rainbow Bridge and watch over your flock here on earth. They all need you to let them know all is well and you still love them.

Macaw Lover
12-25-2013, 05:14 PM
I am so sorry to hear about Tico. I hope that you did have a necropsy done to determine the cause of death before brining in more birds but I can understand the emptiness in your heart.

Reflect on the fact that Tico's life with you did teach you how to be a better owner, that you did improve things for him and you (stopped smoking) and now you have more and much better knowledge for any future birds who might fly into your life.

Wulfgeist
12-25-2013, 05:46 PM
Thanks Renee'. I didn't do a necropsy, I don't think it to be needed. Likely it was the years of poor husbandry before I started doing things right. I miss the little bugger and did love him despite being so stupid. I'm glad now that because of him and Jasper I can provide a better life for what birds I get. I'm just sorry that he had to pay the price for it.

Honesty
12-25-2013, 05:47 PM
I am so sorry to hear about Tico RJ :( Hugs to you :th_hug8:

Blancaej
01-05-2014, 08:51 PM
So sorry to read about Tico RJ. Sending many hugs your way. :th_hug8: