PDA

View Full Version : Omg Christmas Eve storms hit Kent in england

garden squirrel
12-24-2013, 09:49 PM
Ok this is what woke up to at 5 this morn when a neighbour was panicking as 40 ft of avary roofing had lifted and landed on his shed and garden. I spent summer building these with my staff we devestated all birds alive but in trauma .[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Honesty
12-24-2013, 10:32 PM
OMG, Dawn. The wind was so bad yesterday! It looks like you have a lot of damage. I am so sorry about your aviary! I know how hard you worked to build it! I am glad the birds are okay though.

I hope you manage to get all the damage repaired!

Mayden
12-24-2013, 10:40 PM
Oh god, glad to hear the birds are okay. The storms are just awful at the moment. Here in Cheshire not too bad. Thinking of all you southerners right now. Stay safe!

garden squirrel
12-24-2013, 10:52 PM
It was amazing to watch last night have railway station 200 yds away 12 ft by 10 ft corrugated sheeting from roof at station was smashing against my house. I lost satellite dish everything . I think it a welcome to living on the sea front. I was brought up here and even hurricane few years back never caused this much damage.i like this town its small and bizarre so will deal with it. Aviary birds in a state but trying to get them thru its shock not injury it was wired under roof.

ShellyBorg
12-25-2013, 01:14 AM
Glad every one is OK!

Turquoise
12-25-2013, 06:39 AM
Oh My!! That is a lot of damage you folks over on the other side of the ocean have had. I am so glad to hear that your birds are all safe and hopefully they can de-stress when it all settles down.:th_hug8:

Please keep us informed of how all goes and if you have any more of the bad storms heading your way.

plax
12-25-2013, 02:54 PM
That had to be terrifying for your poor birds, Dawn :(. Nature can present such dangers! It's so fortunate that none of your birds were physically injured! Hopefully their stress levels will rapidly subside. It's a very good thing that you built your aviary structure to be sturdy!

garden squirrel
12-26-2013, 12:47 AM
All I can say is if you build this sort of major aviary, underwire the roof. it saved my birds. one bird was not good. it ripped her tail out but she's 15 and never been in doors. but it saved them all.

Mare
12-26-2013, 09:00 PM
Wow, that sounds like some really strong winds to do such damage! Do you get "hurricanes" where you are? I'm glad to hear there were no fatalities among your birds, it sure could have been worse.

garden squirrel
12-26-2013, 09:50 PM
No we don't get bad weather. about 15 years back we had a hurricane or so they say. But damage was nothing in comparison.

kendrafitz
12-29-2013, 01:51 AM
I am so sorry that you got hit so hard!! Thankfully the birds are ok for the most part. I feel so badly for you all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks])

Mayden
12-30-2013, 05:39 PM
How are things where you are today? The flooding down south has been awful. We've just had a few bad winds and amber alerts. Public transport a mess, some trees falling etc, but nothing 'major'. Might invest in a kayak to hide in my back garden for such events!

We don't generally get awful weather (compared to the states, Australia, etc) but in recent years it's been getting progressively worse.

Me and my partner are preparing for flooding anyway, despite the flood defences. We've got all the animal stuff 'to hand' if we need to leave, or even just shift them all upstairs. Hope it stays away though.

garden squirrel
12-30-2013, 05:56 PM
So far have been alright with the flooding which is surprising as just up further in the town they were evacuated and flooded. I live about 200 yds away from the sea. It seems here the wind is generating a huge problem. I have so much damage to my property I do not know which way to turn.
The damage to the roof once they had cut it up to get it off my neighbours shed was not repairable. So am putting a tempory roof on of corrugated sheeting to protect the chickens that are left out there, poor little things the shock of losing the roof has taken its toll and many died. I am two thirds way across roof but a fresh arrival of winds and torrential rain have slowed down the progress.
Anyone living in the south east at the moment my thoughts are with them as most people have been hit by floods or wind damage.
We are not prepared for extreme weather in this part of the country as we usually miss it, believe me my approach to building avaries etc will take a complete different outlook. Hope everyone stays safe.

Honesty
12-30-2013, 06:07 PM
I also live only 200 yards from the sea, plus, my house sits very high up, which means, when the winds do hit, we get it very bad :( I have no fence left! It is in various places around the garden! I have never experienced winds like this in all the years I have lived in the South West :(