PDA

View Full Version : My Mom Fell & Broke Her Pelvic Bone! :(

Blancaej
12-23-2013, 08:59 PM
As some of you may know, I took a day off of work yesterday to bake all day with the kids. I will post pics later on the thread Wendy started. Anyway, I went to pick my mom up to come hang out with us while I baked at home. She came out of her apartment complex and fell on some ice. The sidewalk was not icy at all. It was the stupid automatic door. It hit her backside, when it went to close. She was holding onto a pole waiting for me to come up to the door. When it hit her backside she lost her balance and her foot caught the rock gravel that was covered in ice and she fell. She came over and spent the day pretty much staying put on my couch after that. The pain wasn't better and she had a rough time walking. So when my hubby got home from work I took her to the ER. She fractured her pelvic bone. So she is now in the hospital. She was admitted last night. I didn't get home until 10pm. :(

She will be transferred to the rehab dept tomorrow most likely, which means she will be in the hospital for Christmas. I brought some garland with lights and a ceramic Christmas tree to her today to cheer up her room. My mom loves Christmas so I can't believe this is happening to her and now of all times. :(

On top of that I've dealt with a stupid tooth ache all weekend just to find out my dentist is on vacation until next Monday. He called in a prescription to help with it but I have to wait a week to see him now. Ugh!

Lastly, I sent a large order of candy to a customer that was supposed to get there last Thursday by 2 day priority mail express. It just arrived today and they already left for Puerto Rico. It's acutally Coqui's old owners. But Linda was nice about it and made other plans.

It's just been a horrible couple of days. I feel like I want to crawl under a rock and hide!

Hopefully our holiday will go well. I will bring my mom a plate of food tomorrow night and then we will go to the hospital Christmas day about lunch time to open gift to and from her. And then of course bring her some delicious Christmas dinner that night. It will be an interesting Christmas this year but we will make the best of it.

It certainly could have been worse and I am glad she is ok otherwise!

Oh, my Christmas cards will be really late now. Just an FYI! Oh well, Ho Ho Ho! :P

Honesty
12-23-2013, 09:10 PM
Oh, I am so sorry to hear about your Mum Blanca :( You certainly have had a bad few days! Hopefully, things will go well for you again now. I hope your tooth does not cause you too many problems over Christmas:(

Sending hugs to you :th_hug8:I hope your Mum recovers soon!

Blancaej
12-23-2013, 09:16 PM
Thank you Wendy! I am just glad she is in good hands and she will heal with time.

I am staying confident and positive that we will have a great Christmas either way. :) Even with my bad tooth! LOL! Should I send Santa a note "All I want for Christmas is a non aching tooth" LOL!

Thanks for the hugs! I can certainly use them right now!

MomtoPercy
12-23-2013, 09:27 PM
Ouch! Your poor mom! I'm glad her injury wasn't more severe.

Here's hoping that you have better days ahead. The last few sound like they've been really tough!
:th_hug8:

Honesty
12-23-2013, 09:28 PM
I am sure you will have a great Christmas :) Your Mum will still have her lovely dinner too!

You can guarantee, if you are going to have toothache, it will be during the holidays :( Hopefully, pain killers will get you through until you are able to visit with your dentist!

Blancaej
12-23-2013, 10:08 PM
Thanks Michelle. I appreciate the well wishes and the hugs! :th_wink:

Thanks Wendy! We will make the best of it. Hospital or no hospital. :) I know Murphy's law! LOL! All I can say is thank goodness for motrin and Tylenol! LOL!

ShellyBorg
12-23-2013, 10:44 PM
So sorry to hear this. I wish her a speedy recovery.

Mare
12-23-2013, 11:05 PM
Somebody told me once, I think it was my uncle, bad things come in threes. Sounds like things are going to get better for you, you've gone and hit your limit! Hope you and mom feel better, soon! :th_hug8:

Blancaej
12-23-2013, 11:09 PM
Thanks Shelly! That is appreciated. :)

Mare - I hope you are right! LOL! Thanks for the hug! :)

Pinkbirdy
12-24-2013, 03:11 AM
Blanca ,Im sorry about your mom !! What the heck . Im a firm believer things happen in 3s [so everything should be ok now.]

Mare
12-24-2013, 03:31 AM
Twenty years ago, I lost a brother, a sister and then my mom in less than 3 years, I was totally devastated, wondering who was next. My Uncle Lee comforted me by telling me not to worry, three terrible things happened, it's over. Thank God, he was right. :). Things will be good Blanca, have faith!

Blancaej
12-24-2013, 01:18 PM
Thanks Terri & Mare! I will keep the faith. :th_wink:

Wow Mare you've been through a lot. You never expect to lose siblings early let alone parents. I lost my oldest brother over 10 years ago. It's tough. :( That's a lot of loss in 3 years. Hugs to you!

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

plax
12-25-2013, 04:03 AM
Hey Blanca... despite your mother's terrible accident and your toothache, I hope the both of you (and the rest of your family) have a cheerful Christmas! And I certainly wish a rapid recovery with minimal discomfort for your mom!! Please take care.

Turquoise
12-25-2013, 05:32 AM
Oh sorry to hear about your poor Mom and the pain she must endure through the Holidays. Wished there was a magic wand that would put everything back the way it was for you and her. :th_hug8:

I feel for you as well with the tooth ache. I always hated those things and mine would turn into abscesses over the weekend while the dentist was off. Hope the meds help and you can get some rest between your commutes. Tell your Mom all of us here are wishing her a speedy recovery and hope she enjoys your good cooking while she is laid up. :grouphug:

Blancaej
01-06-2014, 03:55 PM
Just wanted to give an update on my mom. She is still in the rehabilitation center but is moving around very well and the pain is so much better. I have a feeling she will be out of there this week! She told me that her Christmas was perfect. It's her favorite holiday. We brought everyone to see her and opened gifts at the rehab center. So for her to tell me she had a perfect Christmas, tells me that we did something right and we truly made the best of a bad situation!

Here is a pic with us at the rehab center on Christmas day.

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

plax
01-06-2014, 05:05 PM
I'm really glad your mom had a great Christmas and that she's doing well with her rehab, Blanca. It's very nice to see you all in your photo :). My sole complaint has to be that the only birds there are stuffed ones ;)

Blancaej
01-06-2014, 05:18 PM
LOL Tony! Savannah has actually been to visit 3 times! Those stuffed birds by the way are courtesy of my kids to keep her company. LOL!

Here is a pic from yesterday. :th_wink:

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

The nurses, other staff and residents have really enjoyed seeing her. The nursing home that is in the same building wants me to bring her in for the residents. I love that she can put a smile on so many peoples faces. :th_biggrin:

Honesty
01-06-2014, 05:40 PM
I am really pleased your Mum is recovering well Blanca and that she still managed to have a lovely Christmas. You all look so happy in the photo and that is so lovely that you are able to take Savannah in to visit :)

plax
01-07-2014, 07:32 PM
LOL Tony! Savannah has actually been to visit 3 times! Those stuffed birds by the way are courtesy of my kids to keep her company. LOL!

Here is a pic from yesterday. :th_wink:

The nurses, other staff and residents have really enjoyed seeing her. The nursing home that is in the same building wants me to bring her in for the residents. I love that she can put a smile on so many peoples faces. :th_biggrin:That's just wonderful, Blanca :). I see the newspaper behind the chair :th_wink:

kendrafitz
01-08-2014, 01:44 PM
I am so happy to read that your mom is doing better! I love the pic with the M&M shirts - perfect for your family!! (And me - just bc I am a chocolate fiend!). ;)

I am sure everyone loved seeing Savannah. She is beautiful and it was probably a bright spot for lots of patients - and staff too! It is so awesome to be able to share our babies in a way that makes people feel better!

This past summer, I brought Rosie to visit my grandparents at their assisted living facility. So many staff members came by just to see her, and the residents were talking about it for weeks. Made my grandparents feel pretty special. I sometimes think about taking her to places nearby (my grandparents are 1 1/2 hours away). It is great to see how people brighten up around her. I love sharing Rosie - I guess it's the proud parent in me! ;)

Blancaej
01-09-2014, 02:15 PM
I am really pleased your Mum is recovering well Blanca and that she still managed to have a lovely Christmas. You all look so happy in the photo and that is so lovely that you are able to take Savannah in to visit :)

Thanks Wendy! She has had a new roommate over the last few days and hopes to get out soon. This new roommate is driving her crazy! LOL!

That's just wonderful, Blanca :). I see the newspaper behind the chair :th_wink:

Thanks Tony! And yes, always a prepared birdy parront! :th_wink:

I am so happy to read that your mom is doing better! I love the pic with the M&M shirts - perfect for your family!! (And me - just bc I am a chocolate fiend!). ;)

I am sure everyone loved seeing Savannah. She is beautiful and it was probably a bright spot for lots of patients - and staff too! It is so awesome to be able to share our babies in a way that makes people feel better!

This past summer, I brought Rosie to visit my grandparents at their assisted living facility. So many staff members came by just to see her, and the residents were talking about it for weeks. Made my grandparents feel pretty special. I sometimes think about taking her to places nearby (my grandparents are 1 1/2 hours away). It is great to see how people brighten up around her. I love sharing Rosie - I guess it's the proud parent in me! ;)

It does feel good to share our beautiful birds with others. I would encourage you to take her to places close by. It's nice to make people feel good and smile!