PDA

View Full Version : Another rescue from petco

94lt1
12-21-2013, 11:17 PM
There's a beautiful caique at Petco where my wife used to work...1500$., she's been there for almost a year...poor baby.. Looks like my birthday present is gonna be pricey this year. But being behind glass isn't right. Her name was Shasta..they call her snow white..smdh...she whistles and makes a similar noise to Alex(the African grey) when he did water...but they're so ruff. I'll have to be on guard for the other smaller birds. (After the 30 day quarantine that is)

As excited as I am about this.. I'm kinda not wanting to...we already have 6 birds.. Most are rescues.. And all get equal time...now I'm having marital issues.. Idk if I can take on another fid. But...if it means this bird stays at THAT pet shop, there's no way I can not get it. I say it. Cause it hasn't been sexed. Think its a she .

MAXXED OUT!!!!!

Feathers First Aviary
12-21-2013, 11:43 PM
Poor bird :( Although, I don't think that buying a bird out of pity is really the best approach, yes, you will be helping this one bird but all it does is leave room for them to replace it with another one. Have you spoken with the store manager about the bird? He/she would be the one that gets the final say as to what birds they order, maybe they will consider sticking to less expensive birds in the future since it seems like they have issues selling the pricier birds? I know when I worked at petsmart the most expensive birds we would even order were around $600 and we would never have more than one at a time, otherwise they would just sit in the store for months on end.

spiritbird
12-22-2013, 12:10 AM
I am a nutritional consultant for Purina based at Petco. I just cannot stay away from the birds and I should. We also have the same bird. One was sold a while ago and the price is about the same $1,400. We just reduced the price as the bird has been for sale since April. I would find out how long this bird has been there, you may get discounted by 25% depending on the length of time for sale. The staff at Petco loves this bird and spoil it every day. The birds gets shoulder rides around the store (wings severly clipped by policy for safety). You are so right no bird should be on display behind glass in a beat up display cage. There is a delightful Ringneck that has been with them for just over a year. I take in fruits and veggies all the time. Good luck and let me know if they will discount the bird.

94lt1
12-22-2013, 01:09 AM
I don't mean to sound arrogant here. But buying a bird out of pity wouldn't be the case. It would be because i care for the bird, a bond was formed when my wife worked there..If you were familiar with me..(which i realize I'm not on here a lot...) ALL of my birds are family..not just a bird...

This is Rain...a bird that was as good as dead, even according to the vet, when I got her..(petco).it was pity and love for birds that saved her. The reward has been 100,000,000 times greater than anyone could hope for. Its that same level of compassion that would be used with the poor caique.
I completely understand your point on helping one. But as I learned with Jester....making a difference, even if only for a few hours, in a birds life...well..that's a difference someone needs to make...

A life behind glass is no life. I know the attention I would give the bird, would far surpass that of Petco. I appreciate your response. But it seems geared more towards a new "owner"..i don't buy birds or even rescue birds...I extend my family. And I don't own a single one of em. They own me. Lmao

I apologize if this seems snippy..its not intended that way. Perhaps I'm hypersensitive...

MAXXED OUT!!!!!

Feathers First Aviary
12-22-2013, 01:46 AM
I'm sorry with the way I worded that, I didn't mean it the way it come off now that I read back over it. :( I just hate the way some pet stores run their business, like that's all it is to them is business. I swear they purposefully make people feel bad for the animals so that they buy them just to give them the life that they deserve. I'm not saying that's what this store is doing but I have worked in a few pet stores and known many many other store owners that will purposefully put their birds in small cages without toys just so people buy them, yes, out of pity. It just makes me sooo mad!! I'm sure you will absolutely love your new little guy/girl, caiques are one of my favorite birds, such silly little guys. I do think that you should talk to them like Dianne said and see if they will give you a discount seeing how old the bird is now. I am very sorry if I offended you, I really am, I didn't mean to. I honestly wish all pet stores would stop selling animals. I don't mind bird stores or reptile stores, etc, where the animals are either breed and raised on site or are from local breeders but places like that are few and far between anymore, most of the animals in todays big pet stores are all from mills, it's disgusting, and even if the people in the store are all well meaning and love the animals in their care, that doesn't say much for the rest of them back at the mill churning out baby after baby. :( I refuse to shop anywhere that sells dogs or cats(rescue animals are different of course) and I really do try to avoid any stores that sell animals anymore, it's just too depressing and I don't like giving them my money, I'd rather go to a pet supply only store and support them instead.

94lt1
12-22-2013, 02:00 AM
I love the way you think..let's be pals;) and think nothing of it..I didn't take it offensively.. But ya know what. You're looking out for little feathered butts...you're kewl with me.

MAXXED OUT!!!!!

Feathers First Aviary
12-22-2013, 02:05 AM
I love the way you think..let's be pals;) and think nothing of it..I didn't take it offensively.. But ya know what. You're looking not for little feathered butts...you're kewl with me.

MAXXED OUT!!!!!

Sounds like a good deal to me!

As much as I loved working at the petstores, both privately owned "mom and pop" type stores and one big chain store, it is a very stressful job when you realize what all goes on. Every store I worked at had great employees and no one ever did anything to hurt any of the animals but seeing how some of them came in, including a lovebird with PBFD, and how some customers return their previously purchased pets, I just couldn't take it anymore. I'm much more content raising my own birds, there is no comparison, I don't have to deal with those horrible pet mills anymore and I KNOW that our birds are loved and cared for no matter how long they may be here. :)

94lt1
12-26-2013, 03:12 AM
We have a person wanting to give us a blue and gold macaw..he's beautiful...I can't possibly take both..but there are people who will take the blue and gold if I don't..I keep thinking of that poor caique in that glass cage...:( I'm conflicted.

MAXXED OUT!!!!!

MomtoPercy
12-26-2013, 03:29 AM
Oh boy, I know that feeling! Seeing a poor bird locked in a horrid cage for days and months on end, kills me and the only reason I do not currently own two Illigers Macaws, is the cost of buying them both AND cages :( I saw them in a "pet store" (horrible dump of a hellhole!) And it broke my heart to see them that way :(

I commend anyone who saves birds in these situations but, like someone else said, it just gives the petstore the opportunity to place another bird in that situation. It is a vicious cycle.

Good luck with your decision. I'm sure you will do the right thing - for that poor bird and yourself :)

94lt1
12-26-2013, 05:14 AM
Thanx... The poor baby...I know what could happen to it all to well. We saved rain from the same situation...it breaks my heart too....:(

MAXXED OUT!!!!!

spiritbird
12-26-2013, 03:27 PM
Personally I would be thinking about size. Rain is so much smaller than a Macaw. Have you been thinking about that?

94lt1
12-31-2013, 02:12 AM
I already have a greenwing, a yellow napped azon, a sun conures, rain(cinnamon green cheek) and two budgies ..so...I'm pretty sure I can handle it LOL :):cool:

MAXXED OUT!!!!!

Turquoise
12-31-2013, 11:40 AM
Well, I say go for it!! Of course don't look at the long list of birds under my avatar. :bounce1:

Seriously I do think you are the best judge of if this is right for you and the Caique. I do remember you and your efforts with Jester last year. I read every word of your struggle to help him and your love for him even tho you had him for such a short time.

Good luck with your plans, the Caique if you get it and with other things going on in your life. :)

Blancaej
01-05-2014, 07:46 PM
Sounds like it is the b&g over the Caique at the moment, right? Any decisions yet?

94lt1
01-10-2014, 09:34 PM
The b&g is abused..so yeah..here's the cauique..she's so sweet...someone needs to take the poor baby...:(

If my life would just settle down..I'd take her...:mad::banghead: she's such a cute little doll...please...anyone in the southeast tx area..she needs a good home..

MAXXED OUT!!!!!

94lt1
01-13-2014, 02:16 AM
There's nobody else down here?? Wow...
:(

MAXXED OUT!!!!!

kendrafitz
01-13-2014, 02:52 PM
Poor thing! I hope someone brings her home soon!!

Turquoise
01-13-2014, 09:19 PM
As the crow flies across Texas~~Hmmm~~Nope! I'm still a long way from ya'. I'm up in the North Central West end of the state about 65 miles north of Abilene. :(

JadeC
01-14-2014, 04:19 PM
My dad wants a caique after I got Meiko and he lives in Denton county, so I'll see if he wants to take a drive.. You can that it's not a baby anymore though!! Poor thing :( If it were me, I would work on my marital issues before bringing another bird into the house. I don't know what's going on but you might have to give up birds if you are single again. Just my opinion, please don't take it personal.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

94lt1
01-15-2014, 05:20 AM
Out birds are our children..I put my flock above EVERYTHING..:) if I were gushing blood, and a bird was acting funny...the bird would get to see the vet before I saw a doc..

But I understand your point..

This caique is very smart..she's just a doll..I hope you guys can get her..she's a cuddle bug...

And believe me..my marital issues are at the forefront of my "fix it list", I've never been the type to walk away or give up on people. I don't take marriage lightly, and I'm 100% vested in making sure she's happy..whatever that means for me..I don't care. I've given up a lot for this woman. There's nothing that she could ask for, that I wouldn't give her on a silver tray. If that means she wants a way from me, then she'll always have a special place in my heart, but I'll do as she asks. :thumbup:

As far as giving up birds...my job is unique in allowing me time home..but I always have my flocks best interest at heart..if i didn't , I would've scooped up this poor caique right away. Rest assured my flock is treated with nothing but love and attention..they are in the company of a person who loves them, every hour of the day. :) :cool:
MAXXED OUT!!!!!

Pinkbirdy
01-15-2014, 12:30 PM
Its funny how life can be tough [and the birds are the easy thing] . Did you read on the other forum of Birdmanns might have to choose between his girlfriend or the birds . Hands down my birds my birds are not going anywhere!! I know Caiques are soooo expensive !!I wish you had the money [he would be a easy addition to your flock] :)

Grey
01-15-2014, 10:59 PM
I have two caiques. The only advice I have for you is to read all you can about them. Yes they are clowns. That is only a small part of their personalities. They also play very rough and can be bullies, even to much larger birds. I can't let mine out at the same time as my other birds, even my 'zon gets attacked. Just be careful.

94lt1
01-20-2014, 11:01 PM
I have two caiques. The only advice I have for you is to read all you can about them. Yes they are clowns. That is only a small part of their personalities. They also play very rough and can be bullies, even to much larger birds. I can't let mine out at the same time as my other birds, even my 'zon gets attacked. Just be careful.

I'm well aware, but thanx for the tip :)

JadeC
01-22-2014, 11:24 PM
Its funny how life can be tough [and the birds are the easy thing] . Did you read on the other forum of Birdmanns might have to choose between his girlfriend or the birds . Hands down my birds my birds are not going anywhere!! I know Caiques are soooo expensive !!I wish you had the money [he would be a easy addition to your flock] :)

Lol the thing with birdmanns post is that he hasn't gotten a bird, so he had only heard of the joys through the forum, word of mouth, and little handling experience. I wouldn't give Meiko up for anybody but I wouldn't have gotten him if I were in a serious relationship with someone who didn't like or want birds. Now my fate is set lol Bird lovers only. Come and get it boys!!!! See them lining up? I don't. Lol

I talked to my dad but he says he can't afford to get him. :-( Have you gone to visit him again??

Minamommy
01-23-2014, 12:12 AM
Brandon I totally get what your doing! I did that with my little U2 Mina. Knowing that she would languish in that **** hole ( sorry ). That the people that may finally buy her would not understand a Too. I was frantic. So I convinced my hubby to get her for me. As I was paying for her the man in the store says wow I guess I'll order another one!!! I wanted to tear my hair out. I checked back every couple weeks for some months. He didn't thank goodness. Also I know you want this little beauty for your family however I would ask to see if they would lower the price since she has been there so long. I am wishing you best of luck with your possible new addition. 😀

Rita
01-23-2014, 12:23 AM
I can imagine you feel sorry for this poor little lonely Caique in the petshop.
$ 1500,00 is very expensive. Crazy, a price like this.
Well I'm curious if you are really going to buy her to give her a better life.
Keep us informed Brandon!

Greetings from the Netherlands,
Rita

Rita
01-23-2014, 12:27 AM
Hello Kim,

I just wanted to let you know you have a fantastic signature of your wonderful U2 Mina.
I look forward to hear ans see more about your Mina! My 4 year old female U2 is named Maxi.

Greetings from the Netherlands,
Rita

94lt1
02-10-2014, 03:52 AM
I stop by and see the bird regularly..I had my truck hit in Houston during the ice storm..and of course they took off..insurance covered some...but in had to drop a lot of cash on a new truck..

The bird is actually half of the 1500 cause she's been there so long..

It looks like I can't get her..at least for now..it breaks my heart..:(

Turquoise
02-10-2014, 10:47 AM
Is there any bird clubs or rescues who would be interested in getting the Caique? Just a thought that maybe someone in the bird circles around could help out. As big as Houston is there should be someone able to give it a home. :( Wished I could help, but not a good time of the year for me to be adding to my flock or taking that long of a road trip. I know someone in the Brownsville area who has gone to Houston to get birds for rehoming in the past year. She usually gets them as rescues from individuals and finds new homes for them. I don't think she would go to a pet store to get one tho.

Me personally, I hate Houston as far as the traffic. It certainly hasn't change from the first time I was ever there way back in 1969, except tons more traffic! I much prefer the slowed down version of my area of this state. Abilene with around 100,000 population is plenty big enough for me and I don't even live there. Just go shopping there. :)

Minamommy
04-09-2014, 03:55 AM
I walked into our petsmart to get a bag of krinkel paper to put in Mina's forage box and there was an adorable baby conure!! I stood glued to the glass for 1/2 hour ok so what I kicked this little kid that was trying to horn in on my action. He isn't getting the bird!! Jkjk I didn't kick him. It was everything I could do not to whip out that credit card and bring that baby home.